Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Defender battery help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TRX4 Defender battery help

I'll start the same probably as every other thread out there. I've been into RC in the past but have been out of it now for some time. I started watching some crawling videos after seeing on in action.....BAM......I was hooked and so was my son. So over the past couple months I've been looking, reading, watching and absorbing as much info as I possibly could. So I decided after a lot of research to go with the TRX4 RTR in red to start and I thought if he gets half as hooked as I am then we'll build something later. But for now it's something we could use and enjoy pretty much right away. I noticed that it didn't come with any batteries or a charger so I purchased the recommended battery/charger combo a traxxus EZ Peak Lipo charger with dual charging ports as well as came with 2 x 3s 5000mAH batteries.

Perfect I said to myself I'm set. It'll be a perfect surprise for my son who still has no idea its in the closet....(it showed up a couple days ago) So I thought I should have probably done some lipo research. Not real encouraging right off the bat haha. Don't overcharge.....BOOM, don't overuse.....MOLTEN FIRE.....store in an ammo can or......BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE. Great lol I thought. But I have been going over the TRX4 manual and read that it has a lipo low voltage indicator. So that should cover the overuse worry. And the EZ Peak smart charger should take care of the batteries. I read through pages and pages on Lipo info in the forum. But I want to know if there's anything I've missed about what I have. If there's anything I need to watch for. Should the lipo's and charger I bought in combination with the low voltage indicator that the TRX4 comes with keep things safe and fun for my son and I?
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 Defender battery help

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
I'll start the same probably as every other thread out there. I've been into RC in the past but have been out of it now for some time. I started watching some crawling videos after seeing on in action.....BAM......I was hooked and so was my son. So over the past couple months I've been looking, reading, watching and absorbing as much info as I possibly could. So I decided after a lot of research to go with the TRX4 RTR in red to start and I thought if he gets half as hooked as I am then we'll build something later. But for now it's something we could use and enjoy pretty much right away. I noticed that it didn't come with any batteries or a charger so I purchased the recommended battery/charger combo a traxxus EZ Peak Lipo charger with dual charging ports as well as came with 2 x 3s 5000mAH batteries.

Perfect I said to myself I'm set. It'll be a perfect surprise for my son who still has no idea its in the closet....(it showed up a couple days ago) So I thought I should have probably done some lipo research. Not real encouraging right off the bat haha. Don't overcharge.....BOOM, don't overuse.....MOLTEN FIRE.....store in an ammo can or......BURN DOWN YOUR HOUSE. Great lol I thought. But I have been going over the TRX4 manual and read that it has a lipo low voltage indicator. So that should cover the overuse worry. And the EZ Peak smart charger should take care of the batteries. I read through pages and pages on Lipo info in the forum. But I want to know if there's anything I've missed about what I have. If there's anything I need to watch for. Should the lipo's and charger I bought in combination with the low voltage indicator that the TRX4 comes with keep things safe and fun for my son and I?

Instead of a ammo can I would reccomend a lipo bag and other that than that I haven’t any issues with mine and if ur someone who doesn’t drive your rigs for like 30 days at a time make sure you do it’s bad for a lipo to sit with charge in it for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trex4Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

You sound exactly like someone I know. It was me, bout 11 months ago.
I went the same way you did, right down to the color of the rig. Charger, batteries...
You'll be fine, and as was mentioned, use a Lipo bag, better bit of insurance everything will be safe/er.
I never thought about batteries either at the time, didn't know they could be an issue. You and your boy will have a ball with the TRX4, FUN, FUN, FUN.
Oh, and very addicting this hobby is.
Zippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Well I blew the shit out of mine in my garage and caught my work bench on fire, good times. First explosion let me know something happened, so went out to see and the second one hit me...good times! So now my charger is dead, down a battery and have to buy a new charger and battery. Probably going to use a different battery set up from now on.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hey brother, welcome to the addiction! Where's the build thread & pics? lol!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 Defender battery help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Printed TRX4 Battery Tray robertjpjr Traxxas TRX-4 6 01-05-2018 12:33 PM
Traxxas TRX4 Defender and more fun Bikonkav Videos! 0 07-27-2017 10:08 AM