Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Bronco XLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Bronco XLT

Picked up one of these beauts last night.

First Traxxas I have owned since my T-maxx a long , long time ago.

Two speed tranny, portal axles to start with. Of course, a Fullsize Bronco body. I an sure when I crawl it the first time, the likes will go up. I have heard they do really well.

Dislikes:
Body clips, ughhh.. I know these are mass produced, but, with 3D printing and magnets, or, just some type of magnet body nest would've been nice. Really jacks up a great looking body..

Lexan Body.. Again, I know it's mass produced, but, would've been nicer to have a hard body. lol

The wheels. Looks like the wheels came off of a 90's Fullsize Bronco than some killer looking Slot mags or white wagon wheels. Which is what I thought the Bronco of this year rolled off of the assembly line with..

The cost is a little high. But, Figured I was already paying for the name with it being a Ford. Let alone a Traxxas.. lol

Got a few pics. Taking it on a run this weekend. Should have more then.

SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bronco XLT

Looks so good. I think I need one to compliment my Defender.
HTFU Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

You'll love it... I almost bought one last week. The bronco body solves 99% of the very few complaints that people had with the TRX. The wheel base is reduced to 12.3. The inner fender wells stay with the chassis rather than the body. The center of gravity is better with the lighter shell. It's an awesome RTR that is at home on the crawler course and a blast in the back yard thanks to the 2-speed trans. The guys crawling them up at the LHS are very competitive with the bronco. Whats really cool is that it excels in areas of the course where my ascender struggles, but struggles where the ascender thrives. Congrats on the new rig!
Capt J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Body clips work. They might not look the best, but they are still the best working and easiest solution to retain bodies on RCs. Magnets fail and the body slips off.

I'm happy it's lexan. Hard bodies don't perform well and the TRX-4 is all about performance. I'm sure somebody will put a hard body on one and it will be interesting to see how it performs. But I'm all for lexan.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Did some work to my Bronco.

Painted the topper with some Rustoleum undercoat paint.

As well as got rid of the body holes and clips. Set up a magnet deal that holds the body on. Not sure how well it will hold, but, looks better IMO.

Installed my Spare tire carrier as well.

Next up., smaller tires. Or. smaller 1.9 tires I should say.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks,

Yep, not a fan of body posts or clips. Still gotta find some tires for it. The search continues. haha
Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 PM   #7

Those wheels and center caps are stock oem Ford. I just saw them on an old Ford in a parking lot about two weeks ago. I believe they may have been polished aluminum instead of chrome though. I don’t know how to describe that red emblem in the center caps, they had a kind of metallic sparkle to them. Looked pretty cool!!

https://goo.gl/images/VJtgQH

Last edited by JamieJAP77; 06-05-2018 at 08:56 PM.
JamieJAP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Awesome rig brotha! Welcome to the Trx family! I like the body mounts being gone. Makes a huge difference. You'll have to keep us posted on how the magnets hold for you & post some pics. I've had great results out of the stock tires especially once I cut the small lugs out. Keep up the great work! Good luck! Have a great day
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJAP77 View Post
Those wheels and center caps are stock oem Ford. I just saw them on an old Ford in a parking lot about two weeks ago. I believe they may have been polished aluminum instead of chrome though. I don’t know how to describe that red emblem in the center caps, they had a kind of metallic sparkle to them. Looked pretty cool!!

https://goo.gl/images/VJtgQH
I believe the wheels were an aftermarket deal. Most I remember seeing back in the day were Krager 5 holes or White Steelie wheels. Either way, all good.
I like them.

And, thanks!. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Awesome rig brotha! Welcome to the Trx family! I like the body mounts being gone. Makes a huge difference. You'll have to keep us posted on how the magnets hold for you & post some pics. I've had great results out of the stock tires especially once I cut the small lugs out. Keep up the great work! Good luck! Have a great day
Body mounts are a pet peeve with me. I get it, mass production and all. They take away from this nicely designed body. IMO.

I am getting over an ankle injury, hopefully I will be able to get this rig on the trails soon and do some testing.

As far as the tires go. They stay for now. I have another build I am trying to fund. Actually, two. lol. This rig is the only rig I have that is ready to go. lol
Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
Body mounts are a pet peeve with me. I get it, mass production and all. They take away from this nicely designed body. IMO.

I am getting over an ankle injury, hopefully I will be able to get this rig on the trails soon and do some testing.

As far as the tires go. They stay for now. I have another build I am trying to fund. Actually, two. lol. This rig is the only rig I have that is ready to go. lol
I hear you there with the body mounts. I don't like the look of them. When I buy a new body for mine I won't be putting any holes in it for body mounts. I'm definitely going a different route.

Hope your ankle gets better soon! As for the tires cutting the small lugs out only takes your time & some small side cutters. Perfect for a guy with s bad ankle Pics of mine before & after in my build. Think it took me like 15/20 mins a tire. Good luck! Look forward to seeing your Trx come together. Welcome to the Trx-4 addiction! Have a good day!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Bronco XLT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tamiya ford f-150 xlt srb paleblue46 Non Crawler RC's 0 10-31-2013 05:13 PM
'93 Ford F-150 XLT nascarkeith Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 01-14-2010 09:35 PM
Who Has Brat/Ranger XLT?? Robb Chit Chat 12 07-09-2007 07:26 AM
1/6 Ranger XLT crawler/clog project... RC_Ranger General Crawlers 77 11-23-2005 01:34 PM