Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Went with the Telluride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Went with the Telluride.

Well after thinking about this for a few days and going back and forth between this and the Wraith I went with Telluride for my next project as hell tons have the Wraith so having a Telluride will be pretty unique.

My shop sent are order in today so by middle of next week it will be like Christmas.. I didn't get every hop up all at once but I did get the new internals to lower the gearing in the transmission housings. I ordered a bunch of my favorite companies stuff STRC for my aluminum rear hubs, hexes, motor mount, motor spacer, blue bead locks and some steering knuckles. I also ordered some Traxxas blue camber links and some Proline Bead Locs and Trencher X tires in the M3 soft comound. For the drive shaft I did the Techno Big Bone setup. I already have brand new GTR Long and XXL shocks to take care of the front and rear so I will be on my way here next week.

I will have pictures as I go. I do know the first thing I do it tear the thing apart and dye the chassis black. Can't deal with the gray so black it will be for the chassis. Electronics will be a Castle Sidewinder with 35 turn brushed motor and a banging Futaba servo that is .06 at 313oz of torque that I bought and not using at this time. Think that will take care of my steering.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Went with the Telluride.

My new tires and rims arrived. I went with the Proline Trencher X with the Proline Beadlock rims. I also used the STRC aluminum bead locks instead of the standard red ones that came with my rims. Look much better.

Last edited by wyd; 04-13-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice, can't wait to see the results!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
wyd
Rock Crawler

The STRC stuff is nice and is what I use for all my aluminum hop ups first unless they don't make the part I want and then I will look at other stuff but I try STRC first. I have the aluminum motor mount coming, rear hubs and motor spacer coming and should be in with my truck on Wed.

Last edited by wyd; 04-13-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice! All these Telly builds that have popped up lately are making me want to finish mine finally.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Nice! All these Telly builds that have popped up lately are making me want to finish mine finally.
Cool get it ready. I need to get mine done so I can come hang out with you and Pat D.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
wyd
Rock Crawler

Before I get fully started on my Telluride project I want to give props to Frystormer as some ideas are from his great Telluride thread. Some ideas will be mine but some other stuff like changing the tranny gears for a lower overall gearing are all stuff from his thread. I knew about locking the front gears up for crawling but he also got to look into silly putty or diff locking putty for the rear so I just wanted to take the time to once again thank Frystormer for some of the great ideas on the Telluride.

Brian
Old 04-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
wyd
Rock Crawler

Are order came a day later than nrmal at the hobby shop so I stopped by today and my new Teluride came in today plus the upgrades that i ordered for it as well. So I looked over it and first impression is I'm glad I went with Traxxas. The overall layout is pretty much exactly like I pictured.

First thing I will do it to take out all electronics and strip everything off the chassis so I can dye it black. I hope to get that done Friday when I work if I have time at the shop. Once that chassis is dyed I will put the STRC aluminum exc mount on so my Castle Creations Sidewinder has a place to go and will fit neatly. I hate crappy wiring so this will help with neatness. I will get pics of the chassis once dyed.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
wyd
Rock Crawler

Just finished up dying the chassis black. I always dye my Traxxas gray chassis's black as I think they just look so much better. I will get a bunch of pictures as I added the STRC rear hubs and hexes plus some Traxxas aluminum steering links and camber links. The new Techno drive shaft is awesome and much stronger than the stock plastic setup.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
wyd
Rock Crawler

Chassis all dyed black. Came out great.

STRC ESC mount

STRC Motor Mount and diff mount

Killer Futaba Servo and alum arm.

Tekno Drive Shaft

Whole truck as it is right now with STRC Rear hubs
Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks good so far!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #12
wyd
Rock Crawler

New locker should be in Wed so my plan is to get that put in and the new tranny gears to lower the overall gear reduction of the transmission.. Also have diffputty for the rear gear diff. If I get that done then might mess with getting my GTR shocks put on. By Friday I hope to run the Telluride a little bit so I can see what adjustments to the suspension I need to make.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #13
wyd
Rock Crawler

Picture with the new tires and rims on with for now the stock Telluride body. Friday I hope to have my GTR shocks on and then it will be just working to get the right spring combo that I feel comfortable with. As some mentioned I think the stock setup is too stiff overall and the stock progressive springs don't help at all with that. Fun thing with the gearing I have I can crawl but also enough speed to catch a little air on some of the things I drive over. Just adds to the fun for me. Kinda glad it has worked out this way.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
wyd
Rock Crawler

Got my new XXL and XL GTR shocks on my Telluride with 20wt Losi oil. I was lucky enough to find some Traxxas XXL and XL springs in my box so put those on. They are the .874 for the rear and .767 front. Lucky they seem to be perfect. Truck with the 20wt and that spring combo float over the little bumps and soak up the larger bumps.

I just finished running for 30 minutes and motor is warm and esc is ot even warm. Looks like the stock 48 pitch gearing 12/83 with the new 12/47 internals will be great for all around running. I was hill climbing at different speeds, and crawling over rocks and not enough heat to even bother with a fan on the motor. Very happy that I can just use the stock cheap Traxxas motors. Right now I have a nice combo of power and speed. Not too slow to get bored but not too fast that I lose power to climb. New shock package with the GTR's on is awesome. Smooth, look great, and just work great overall. I just raised the ride height some since it has threaded shock bodies which is nice. Trail running I can lower the stance easily or raise it depending on what I'm doing. Very adjustable for the terrain.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Did you get the plastic or aluminum GTR's?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Did you get the plastic or aluminum GTR's?
These are the aluminum GTR shocks. 7462X for the Rears and 7461X for the fronts.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Cool, thanks.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #18
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Cool, thanks.
No problem. Hope it helps you out. They do make a spring or two heavier and also a few lighter than what I have on so you can get what ever you want. I will have more info after I get to run a few more times.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Far as I can tell, it looks like the repair parts for the Jato and Revo GT-R's are interchangeable too. Might be able to get different amounts of travel by swapping out the stock shockends for those off the Revo and changing the amount of preload without adjusting the collars by swapping out the spring retainers. Been thinking about getting a set of the Slash GT-R's and swapping them in place of the Revo ones I have on my Pede right now.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #20
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp_jmp View Post
This thread is starting to cost me a lot.
I feel your pain. If I didn't see a few.great threads on the Telluride I probably wouldn't of bought one or if I did I wouldn't of got it setup nearly as good to crawl.

Thanks to all the others that posted up Telluride threads. They really are a great help when your not going with one of the main stream crawlers

Went with the Telluride. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My take on a Telluride Trail Truck John82601 Traxxas Crawlers 60 02-02-2016 11:03 AM
Telluride? mwe-maxxowner Traxxas Crawlers 34 05-03-2015 06:53 AM
New traxxas telluride 4x4 crawlernut General Crawlers 31 12-15-2013 03:47 PM
Traxxas telluride azwheelman Videos! 18 10-03-2013 09:17 AM
Traxxas Telluride zjguy721 General Crawlers 4 09-06-2013 12:07 PM