Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Whats the best upgrade that increases the TRX-4 Broncos offroad capability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Whats the best upgrade that increases the TRX-4 Broncos offroad capability?

Im curious as what you guys recommend as the best mod a person can make to improve the offroad capability of the TRX-4 Bronco. I just got mine and was trying to layout an upgrade path. Thanks!
2Fast2Understand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Whats the best upgrade that increases the TRX-4 Broncos offroad capability?

I'd say some brass front portal covers are going to be the most noticeable right off the bat. The added weight really helps lower the center of gravity, and starting with just the fronts will increase its climbing ability. Starts around $30.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #3

Default Re: Whats the best upgrade that increases the TRX-4 Broncos offroad capability?

Awesome. I just ordered the steering servo that everyone is getting off of amazon. Ill look into those covers. Thanks!
2Fast2Understand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast2Understand View Post
Im curious as what you guys recommend as the best mod a person can make to improve the offroad capability of the TRX-4 Bronco. I just got mine and was trying to layout an upgrade path. Thanks!

Look at your truck layout and do all the free/cheap mods to reduce weight up high and move what you can to a lower position. Then worry about buying things. The MFR brass portal covers are the best I've seen or tried, don't go overboard with brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I'd say some brass front portal covers are going to be the most noticeable right off the bat. The added weight really helps lower the center of gravity, and starting with just the fronts will increase its climbing ability. Starts around $30.

MFR makes the best fitting and nicest machined portal covers, all the others are a distant second place at best.

https://metalfabbyreed.com/

Last edited by Natedog; 08-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Look at your truck layout and do all the free/cheap mods to reduce weight up high and move what you can to a lower position. Then worry about buying things. The MFR brass portal covers are the best I've seen or tried, don't go overboard with brass.

MFR makes the best fitting and nicest machined portal covers, all the others are a distant second place at best.

https://metalfabbyreed.com/
what would you consider going overboard with brass? Thanks
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
what would you consider going overboard with brass? Thanks
If you look for after-market parts you will see a lot of different brass goodies... from lower spring retainers, to knuckles, to lower link mounts, portal housings, etc, etc, etc. The consensus is that you not just randomly start throwing too many brass parts at your rig all at once. Start by adding the portal covers... then continue to drive/ learn how the rig handles, and maybe tweak spring pre-load by adjusting the collars on the shocks.You can also change out to different rate springs and shock oil if you want to dial things in even further but again... start slowly and learn the characteristics of the rig as you go. There are a LOT of variables and everything that you add, delete, or change can potentially change the way that the rig climbs, side-hills, digs, etc. Do one thing at a time.

Also fwiw... Natedog turned me onto the MFR front brass portal covers and they are without a doubt the nicest, best fitting covers out there. Locked UP RC also makes a pair that I have on another rig of mine... also nice but the MFR's are for sure the best designed.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Installing a stronger servo helped my rig tremendously. Adding brass knuckle weights 150g to my front axle. Made it climb way better. My 6oz bumper helped it climb better too. Not a big fan of sprung weight, but it did make the rig look more scale the way the body moved while crawling. Stiffer foams in the tires helped ALLOT with side hill ability. Lowered battery tray made a noticeable difference. Good tires make a huge difference. The stock tires are pretty good, but the foams are crap. I cut the small lugs off on mine. That made a big difference. Changing from the stock 30wt shock oil to 15wt Made a noticeable difference as well. My rig weights in at 8lbs 6oz as it sits & I'm loving the way it's set up. Good luck brotha! Don't hesitate to ask questions. There is a Trx-4 section on this forum. Also always use advance search when searching. ALLOT of great info & people on this forum. Peace!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

SSD portal weights. They thankfully aren't brass colored. They are a work of art - look great, fit well, and they work.

Proline tires - because traction is key in crawling.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 08-24-2018 at 10:38 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Proline tires - because traction is key in crawling.

MFR brass portal covers much better fit and finish and enough weight down low, too much is not a good thing either. Reduce weight that is up high.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
MFR brass portal covers much better fit and finish and enough weight down low, too much is not a good thing either. Reduce weight that is up high.
My SSD portal weights first perfectly. The fit and finish is excellent. Or do you mean the MFRs are lower profile?

The SSDs weigh more for sure, but the TRX-4 is a heavy truck so I think the percentage of added weight isn't that great if you understand what I'm trying to say.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

UJnfortunately the stock plastic chassis panhard bracket is way too flimsy, but since the Bronco has fender flares that has the panhard mount integrated into it is not as simple as to replace the stock one with an aluminum one, i ordered one and i want to keep the inner fenders, i'll try to figure out a way to mount it
Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
RCC Addict

At the moment I have my front beadlocks weighted running the cheap Hyrax knockoffs, eventually I'll get some brass. I have an Ascender on the way so I've been reading Natedog's ascender thread and I've transferred some tips he has for the K5 blazer to my Bronco, first thing I did today was totally back off all the preload off all the shocks and second I dropped each body post down one hole. It's a world of difference on hill climbing and side hilling and it didn't cost a dime. Like an earlier post said, do the simple stuff first it makes a difference. Check out the Trx4 thread for more info.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I dont know anything about the trx4 but the first thing i do when i see traxxass electronics of any type in any of my rigs is fry the traxxass electronics ive burned up 3 escs 2 servos and 4 550 can motors i seem to only have issues with traxxass electronics they usaly only last 2-3 min no matter what i do i should mention the fact that all my traxxass junk was used usaly in the pile of stuff that came with the rig but some was installed and working till i plugged a battery in to it

Last edited by ferp420; 11-10-2018 at 10:34 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #14

Here is a slightly different thought...
I think it depends on which vehicle you are starting with.

Here are a couple almost free ones for the Bronco to think about
1) lighter shock oil and less preload on springs - I really like 15wt
2) remove the battery tray, use small batteries and put them up front with a velcro strap
3) pull it all apart, marine grease for waterproofing (it can be messy so wear gloves if you haven’t done it, water doesn’t get it off) and don’t over do it
4) drive it to see what comes next

Not free:
New Hobbywing or Castle ESC and motor
BEC for +23Kg servo with aluminum horn
Monster torque servo (6-8v capable of you have the cash) or make sure the new ESC can pass through at least 6v
Hot Racing high clearance steering link
BowHouse low CG battery tray for larger packs
110mm to 120mm shocks for flex
Front Bumper with winch
Axle guards and skid plates
Tires and bead lock wheels based on terrain
Brass to weight bias 55% to 60% front axle versus rear.

Hope this helps! Others may have more but this is the list I have been working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjcanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:17 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I can relate to most of given tips. Changes on my TRX-4 Bronco that gave it better performance are:
Stiffer foams, I use Crazy Crawler foams. A stiffer one in the front tires and a even stiffer one in the rear tires.
Original tires mod helps a lot.
Weight distribution, around 60% in the front.
Adding a bit of brass weight in the front.
Adding brass link set.
Change to a more powerful servo.
27T Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport motor with 9T pinion.

This changed it a lot. Better side hill handling, more torque, better climbing overall, no more roll overs.
Cesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
UJnfortunately the stock plastic chassis panhard bracket is way too flimsy, but since the Bronco has fender flares that has the panhard mount integrated into it is not as simple as to replace the stock one with an aluminum one, i ordered one and i want to keep the inner fenders, i'll try to figure out a way to mount it
This is the finished result:

Pabust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:11 AM   #17

The most notable free mod I have done so far was raising the body one peg on the mounts, so I could flip the front bumper mount to raise it, and flipping the rear bumper on the mount after I cut off the trailer hitch.

Drastically improved approach/departure angles.
Gator-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #18

I upgraded the wheels and tires and it's capabilities went WAY up.
RC4WD 1.9 Beadlock wheels and RC4WD Mickey Thompson MTZ tires with their foams in the front and Proline dual stage in the rear. I don't want to super modify mine as I have others for that so I kept it simple.
AMMOACE is offline   Reply With Quote

Whats the best upgrade that increases the TRX-4 Broncos offroad capability? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender Upgrade Options Recommendations emberwilde Traxxas TRX-4 0 07-02-2018 11:01 PM
TRX-4 Defender Upgrade Options Recommendations emberwilde Traxxas TRX-4 0 07-02-2018 10:58 PM
Question about powering a TRX-4 steering servo upgrade. secondcircle Newbie General 4 01-05-2018 01:58 PM
Whats a good upgrade trans for the scx10 213inc Axial SCX-10 5 10-11-2014 12:34 PM