RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   Noob trx owner (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/603763-noob-trx-owner.html)

CdnCrawler 11-12-2018 07:43 PM

Noob trx owner

Hi everyone I finally decided to make an account after reading about the trx4 issues and various upgrades that are possible. I just purchased my trx4 and I’ve been loving it up until today. I turn it on when I get to the trail and I’m walking from my car with the defender cruising next to me and about 5 minutes into cruising it stops working. No smoke no weird smell just loss of steering and no sign of life. I opened it up to find that my xl5 is toast. To kill downtime since I know dealing with Traxxas warranty will take at least two weeks. I came home and ordered the quicrun wp 1080 which will be here tomorrow surprisingly. I’m thinking about doing a couple more mods to make the truck more reliable but some of the things require soldering (which I’m not familiar with at all) so I had a couple of questions.

1) the quicrun wp 1080 comes with a xt60 connector and I have a traxxas 3 cell 5000 mah Lipo with the traxxas ez peak. So my question is there an adapter I can buy? I would cut the connector off the xl5 and ask my local HS to solder it for me but I’ll be mailing it back to traxxas tomorrow so I need to keep it in tact.

2) I’ve been looking into upgrading the servo as well since those are notorious for burning up. I’ve been looking into the savox 1210sg and was wondering if I need a BEC If I’m running it with the quicrun?

3) Contemplating buying a dx5c 5 channel radio and receiver to preserve the locker and transmission servos. I am also going to be purchasing a boat to tow with the trx so I think it would be worth It in the long run. Open to opinions

Cheers, Bruce

kincer 11-12-2018 08:14 PM

Re: Noob trx owner

Hi and welcome to the forum, just an fyi there’s a Trx4 section that you’ll get more info from too, you shouldn’t need a bec with the 1080, you could get your hobby shop to just solder you on a traxxas connector for the time being, you will also need some bullet connectors for the motor as the 1080 doesn’t come with any. I recommend a hacked fly sky gt3b or gt3c radio you can run up to 8 Channels with this radio and they are affordable. If you plan on sticking around in this hobby I highly recommend you learn to solder it’s definitely a useful skill in this hobby and very easy once you get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CdnCrawler 11-12-2018 08:39 PM

Thanks for the reply and advice. I’ll check out those controllers since the spectrum are quite pricey. I want to learn how to solder I just have to purchase the soldering gun. Any recommendations on a good inexpensive one?

Nightwalker 11-13-2018 03:38 AM

I own that one for many years.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/trakpow...pr0950/p204594

always get the job done, no matter what I threw at it... ;-)

Derr429 11-13-2018 12:27 PM

Welcome CdnCrawler this is the soldering iron I use. It’s very easy to learn and I use it a bunch.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100...OXL&ref=plSrch

I believe I bought mine at Home Depot years ago.

kincer 11-13-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derr429 (Post 5884207)
Welcome CdnCrawler this is the soldering iron I use. It’s very easy to learn and I use it a bunch.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100...OXL&ref=plSrch

I believe I bought mine at Home Depot years ago.

Yep same one I have, works great!

CdnCrawler 11-13-2018 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5884212)
Yep same one I have, works great!

Thanks I’ll be ordering one soon. I have another question though lol. I just installed my quicrun 1080 and Now I have another problem. No freakin steering! I don’t know how the servo and the xl5 managed to go out at the exact same time with no smoke or water anywhere near them. So now I gotta get a servo. I was thinking about the savox 1210sg but it’s a little bit pricey and I was wondering if there were cheaper waterproof options that people use?

CdnCrawler 11-13-2018 07:52 PM

Honestly about to buy the savox right now cause I can get it by tomorrow. Do I need a glitch buster?

kincer 11-13-2018 08:15 PM

Try a ds3218 servo from Amazon, affordable and works great, do you have throttle? It seems like maybe something else is going on. You have no need for a glitch buster.

CdnCrawler 11-13-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5884335)
Try a ds3218 servo from Amazon, affordable and works great, do you have throttle? It seems like maybe something else is going on. You have no need for a glitch buster.

I have throttle and reverse. The lockers and transmission function. I just don’t have steering.

Looked up that servo and it seems great. How does it do in the water? I know it’s water proof but I’d like to take it swimming once I get it working again.

kincer 11-13-2018 08:33 PM

I haven’t submerged it, but I have blasted through puddles and it’s been pretty wet and have had no issues.

CdnCrawler 11-13-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 5884345)
I haven’t submerged it, but I have blasted through puddles and it’s been pretty wet and have had no issues.

Just ordered the savox. It came down to which one I would get sooner . Savox tomorrow or save money and wait till Friday. You can probably guess which route I went. Hopefully my hobby shop has 22 awg servo extension in stock so I can finally get this thing going again. Like I knew that the servo and esc aren’t the greatest from traxxas but I thought I’d get more than 3 runs out of it