Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Early Christmas present

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Early Christmas present

So I had the wife pick me up a new TRX-4 Sport for Christmas. My relentless badgering paid off and she let me open it up early!

Anyway, I've just started working on her and done the basic free mods. Flipped the bumper mounts front and rear, then trimmed the body up real nice to fit the flip. TBH, I'm not real crazy about the looks of the generic pickup body, but it'll do until i can figure out what direction i want to head with this rig.

In the meantime, I've attempted to give it a little better look. Sprayed bedliner on the fender flares, matte blacked the hood, and was fairly pleased with the outcome.

Then I remembered I had my old Deadbolt cage laying around. Some hacking, trimming, sanding and spacers to get the right elevation, and wallah! I'm definitely liking the look a good bit better now.

On my to do list our, upgraded servo, SSD portal covers up front, and a low CG battery tray. If anyone has any other suggestions on FREE mods, please let me know. I've been scouring the Traxxas forums here and soaking up knowledge on this little rig. Thanks!
Attached Images

mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Early Christmas present

Those mods really changed the look of that body, looks pretty decent now!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Thanks kincer! Like I said, it'll work until I decide what scale body I want to run. The blacked out windows really cheese me off tho.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah I've never liked the looks of that body but they can sell it a little cheaper since there's no licensing to be paid. You made it easier on the eyes til you figure out what you want.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!! What a great Christmas .
Really disposed the blacked out windows on my defender as well.
Pretty easy to cut the window out and add a piece of lexan. Have done that to all windows up front. Thinking about doing that to the back as well! Waiting for an interior...

https://youtu.be/ELdCyvJvkp4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #6

It looks great with the simple mods that you've done! That cool wheels help a lot as well.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Window mod turned out great Ikvisser! I added windows to my Yota hard body that way. I may do it with this body as well! Did you use ShoeGoo to hold them in?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It looks great with the simple mods that you've done! That cool wheels help a lot as well.
Thanks Jato! Yep, these are the wheels off the Truggy. I ordered some wheels and ProLine Hyrax for this bad boy today!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Window mod turned out great Ikvisser! I added windows to my Yota hard body that way. I may do it with this body as well! Did you use ShoeGoo to hold them in?

Correct! Definitely looks better. Thank you

I think the best mod next to heavy rims is either/ both steel front bumper and weights. I added a few lead sinkers (fishing sinkers) to a steel bumper.
Especially with such a light body as yours.., beside portal covers the brass components are much harder on rigs servos and tranny.
Just the opinion of a newbie and someone milking the original servo.
Hope you have a blast with the new rig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lkvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Did a few more little details and I think the rig looks pretty decent now. Still not a huge fan of this body - kinda felt like I was polishing a turd.

Anyway, I blacked out the Traxxas banner on the front windshield. (I have nothing against Traxxas at all and have owned and enjoyed a lot of their vehicles, but damn do they like to brand the chit out of everything!)

Then, I had to add a few "tasteful" stickers cause you know, she'll be faster and crawl better! (Since I ordered my Hyrax tires already, I took the liberty of slapping some ProLine decals on the hood. Shhhhhh.)

Lastly, I had a little diamond plate bed box I picked up a while back. I was originally going to chop the bed and flush mount it. Figured it would be a cool little storage compartment. But, it was too deep and interfered with the chassis and battery. So instead, I popped the lid off and used some servo tape to just flush mount it.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

As far as the cheap bodies go, I think this is one of the better ones. I don't understand why people don't like it. It at least looks better than any new Toyota on the road!

Oh by the way...in that last photo you have a picture on your wall of a dead body floating in the water. You might want to hide the evidence a littler better!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As far as the cheap bodies go, I think this is one of the better ones. I don't understand why people don't like it. It at least looks better than any new Toyota on the road!

Oh by the way...in that last photo you have a picture on your wall of a dead body floating in the water. You might want to hide the evidence a littler better!
It's actually beginning to grow on me a bit now Jato. Surprisingly, I kinda think it looks like a Toyota / Nissan bastard love child.

That photo is a long story that would require several beers to discuss!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

So the wife just got home from work and came out to the shop to see how I liked my new toy. I don't think she'd ever done a full inventory or really paid attention to my rig count. To quote her....."you have a problem!"

I didn't bother to tell her there are three more rigs stored in those white cabinets!
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #14

There are guys who have an RC or two and then there are addicts. If she thinks you're bad just go on the Tamiya Facebook group sometime and checkout those guys. They have rooms full of unopened Tamiya kits. To me, those are just stupid boxes. What fun is that? At least open and build them.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There are guys who have an RC or two and then there are addicts. If she thinks you're bad just go on the Tamiya Facebook group sometime and checkout those guys. They have rooms full of unopened Tamiya kits. To me, those are just stupid boxes. What fun is that? At least open and build them.
I've seen those guys. I totally agree Jato. I could never understand the fun of buying a kit to put in on a shelve in it's box. Mine get thrashed on, repaired, modified and thrashed on again!
Old 12-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
I have an unopened RC10 gold pan reissue from a couple years ago....puts bag on head...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Great choice of rig mewalsh. The TRX looks really nice. Merry Christmas to ya!
Old 12-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

As the owner of an original RC10 goldtub that i raced as a kid and still own, I’ll give you a pass smog! Merry Christmas to you too!
Old 12-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #19
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
As the owner of an original RC10 goldtub that i raced as a kid and still own, I’ll give you a pass smog! Merry Christmas to you too!
Back in the day, it was the kit I wouldn’t dare beg my parents for. The Tamiya Wild One was as far as the birthday budget got me Hopefully one day I will get excited to build it. Could be awhile...
Old 12-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Back in the day, it was the kit I wouldn’t dare beg my parents for. The Tamiya Wild One was as far as the birthday budget got me Hopefully one day I will get excited to build it. Could be awhile...
I started racing with a Tamiya Frog! I actually did fairly well with it. Once the RC10 came on the scene it began to dominate. My Dad made a deal with me that he'd meet half of whatever I was able to earn and save. I mowed a lot of lawns, raked a lot of leaves and did every odd job around our neighborhood imaginable. I think my Dad regretted the matching $ when I came to him with around $400.00! Anyway, he was good to his word and with the matched money I got the kit, new charger, new Futaba Tx and several new battery packs.

Early Christmas present - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Early Christmas present CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 13 12-04-2011 07:26 AM
early b day present champ7times Tamiya CR-01 23 11-12-2008 05:38 PM
An early Christmas present... ColquittCustom405 Chit Chat 4 12-18-2006 09:47 AM
new early b-day present for me... 86ss1 General Crawlers 11 10-23-2004 06:28 PM