Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First crawler/trail truck and loving it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First crawler/trail truck and loving it

Been in RC a while but completely new to the scale crawler and trail stuff. I now realize I was missing out. Picked up this TRX4 a couple weeks ago and just having a blast tinkering with it. So far I've lifted it a tiny amount with longer shocks but using the stock Traxxas springs so ride hight is only a bit higher than stock but I get a half inch extra droop.
I swapped in 2.2 boggers on headlocks. Had to shave about 1mm of plastic of the top of the outer portal to keep the bead from rubbing.
I changed over the esc to a hobbywing sc8 and 3100kv brushless because I like the extra programmability over the stock brushed system.
Next I added a ESS one plus on board audio system for the bonus realism of sound. I get such a smile on my face with that rumble as it's goes along. Easily one of my favorite mods so far.
I also changed out the steering servo before it could die on me since everyone else is doing it and added an aluminum servo horn.
I did some custom trimming on the boggers and cut out all the small teeth as well as replace the foams with 1.9 sized foams to give it that extra low tire pressure feel. Eventually I'll get the right ones for it but this was on hand.
Currently I'm making a servo winch for it and fabing up a mount and fair lead. Since I always leave the truck in low gear I'm going to use the third channel for winch control by adding a 3 position momentary rocker switch to the tqi transmitter. After that I'll probably look into getting a light kit on it. Haven't had this much fun with a hobby since my 1:1 real life mud truck days and this is a heck of a lot cheaper .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First crawler/trail truck and loving it

Today's project was to mount the new On-Off-On momentary switch into the transmitter. It tested out perfectly in the shop. Later I will take it outside and see how functional it really is.
While I had the transmitter apart I added a phone holder for shooting video while driving. It doesn't look to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #3

how did you add extra channels to tx. thought I read somewhere that it wasn't possible, due to them being programmed for 2 channel only.
jburris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

Looks good! Can't wait to see some mud bogging!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
shoe757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Looks great & the new beadlocks (spell check LOVES to replace that word) with the boggers are a statement!
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburris View Post
how did you add extra channels to tx. thought I read somewhere that it wasn't possible, due to them being programmed for 2 channel only.
Ditto. I immediately thought the same...
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote

First crawler/trail truck and loving it - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
loving this truck so far zachandandy Axial Yeti XL 0 10-30-2015 09:29 PM
First crawler and loving it! mmatthews Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 08-06-2011 12:12 AM
First crawler and loving it motobrad Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 01-07-2009 08:54 PM
Got a Nylint 1:6 Rock Crawler for my 19 month son! He is loving it! bonmot General Crawlers 0 06-30-2008 10:52 AM