Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #1

Default TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please.

Hey,

trying to figure out which truck is the "correct" one for me, i feel like i'm missing a few bits of information to make a educated decision.

I've owned a few RCs so far, want to try my first RC Crawler/Trail Runner now. After figuring out the differences between all the TRXs, i got it down to both the TRX4 Bronco (or the Defender, i know about the wheelbase/fender difference), or the TRX4 Sport Kit with decent electronics.

Here's my dilemma. I do like the two gear transmission in the TRX4. I don't like that i can't use my own radio with it (Sanwa MT-4), since it's only a 4 channel radio/receiver. I also don't want to buy the TRX4 and permanently lock the diffs, because it feels like i'd waste quite some money for something that i'm not using, if that makes sense.

Basically, here's the questions - tried googling it, didn't come up with much. First, would it be possible to wire the TRX4 diff-servos so they run off of one channel? Basically both diffs either on, or off.

Or, second, is the TRX4 transmission compatible with the TRX4 Sport Kit? As a "bolt on" replacement?

Thanks.
m4inbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please.

In a nutshell, yes and yes. A Y harness will tie both diff lock servos together. All the trx4 transmissions are interchangeable
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

Cheers - since i can't adjust the endpoints on the diff servos anyway, there's no real downside to it other than i wouldn't be able to selectively lock a single diff, or am i missing something?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
In a nutshell, yes and yes. A Y harness will tie both diff lock servos together. All the trx4 transmissions are interchangeable
Actually, you need a y-harness and a servo reverser. If Traxxas had thought a little more and turned one of those servos around, that reverser wouldn't be needed.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Actually, you need a y-harness and a servo reverser. If Traxxas had thought a little more and turned one of those servos around, that reverser wouldn't be needed.
Thank you very much, gonna order one of those too. Can be had for quite cheap.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4inbrain View Post
Thank you very much, gonna order one of those too. Can be had for quite cheap.
I'll make ya a deal on the one I ordered. I was going to use it with my Lynx 4 but it decided to stop working so I picked up a GT5 and now no longer need it. Let me know if I can set ya up.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #7

Much appreciated mate, but if you're located in North Highlands California, and not in the north of the scottish Highlands, that wouldn't be worth the effort.

I'm based in the UK, and that reverser can be had for 3 quid, won't break the bank.

Thank you very much for offering though.

Sidenote, how're you liking the GT5? I'm considering ditching my Sanwa and just getting a GT5. Love my Sanwa, but 60+ bucks for receivers is a bit meh.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Much appreciated mate, but if you're located in North Highlands California, and not in the north of the scottish Highlands, that wouldn't be worth the effort.

I'm based in the UK, and that reverser can be had for 3 quid, won't break the bank.

Thank you very much for offering though.

Sidenote, how're you liking the GT5? I'm considering ditching my Sanwa and just getting a GT5. Love my Sanwa, but 60+ bucks for receivers is a bit meh.
Oh, lol. I guess I could have looked under your username

It's probably the most bang for the buck you can get in a surface radio. $70 with a receiver, 6 channels, plus all the basic programming you'll need, can't really beat it. Feels pretty good in the hand too. Get some rechargeable AAAs and you're set.

I sent my Lynx 4 in for service to Hitec. I may just sell it when it comes back...
Old 07-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

Pretty sure it's unquestionably the most bang for the buck. As long as everything operates smooth, hm. I might just get one, and if don't switch i'll have one spare for my nephew, he's starting to get to the age where RC become interesting.

Cheers. Now to figure out if i can live with the Sport Kit Body, or if it'd need to be the Defender/Bronco lol.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Pretty sure it's unquestionably the most bang for the buck. As long as everything operates smooth, hm. I might just get one, and if don't switch i'll have one spare for my nephew, he's starting to get to the age where RC become interesting.

Cheers. Now to figure out if i can live with the Sport Kit Body, or if it'd need to be the Defender/Bronco lol.
I've been out with mine twice and have already ordered a new body. The rack on top and all the accessories (rack, tanks, grill, light wells etc) make for a top heavy rig. I've got a standard, no frills Sport body on the way to me now.

And yeah, I'll probably end up keeping both radios as well. That was actually my original thinking when I got the thing anyway. Always nice to be able to take a friend.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
I've been out with mine twice and have already ordered a new body. The rack on top and all the accessories (rack, tanks, grill, light wells etc) make for a top heavy rig. I've got a standard, no frills Sport body on the way to me now.

And yeah, I'll probably end up keeping both radios as well. That was actually my original thinking when I got the thing anyway. Always nice to be able to take a friend.

Which one do you have, the Defender? I've heard that it's top heavy, but i'll be honest, for the kind of trail running i'll be doing (in the beginning), that'll more than suffice.

It's my first crawler, if i stick with it and decide to throw money at it, most of it can be remedied with metal parts and new bodies anyway as far as i can tell. And of course, there's always the option to get a cheap "bash-body".
Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Which one do you have, the Defender? I've heard that it's top heavy, but i'll be honest, for the kind of trail running i'll be doing (in the beginning), that'll more than suffice.

It's my first crawler, if i stick with it and decide to throw money at it, most of it can be remedied with metal parts and new bodies anyway as far as i can tell. And of course, there's always the option to get a cheap "bash-body".
No, I built the Sport kit and it comes with the cage and all the scale accessories. I just want to the sport body. The one in the kit is loaded with holes for the cage mounting, grill and light buckets. It really is kind of a heavy body.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:07 PM   #13

this was the same issue that i was coming up with when i was looking at picking up a second truck. i think i too will get a y harness and reverser for the sport
zenitram09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hey,

trying to figure out which truck is the "correct" one for me, i feel like i'm missing a few bits of information to make a educated decision.

I've owned a few RCs so far, want to try my first RC Crawler/Trail Runner now. After figuring out the differences between all the TRXs, i got it down to both the TRX4 Bronco (or the Defender, i know about the wheelbase/fender difference), or the TRX4 Sport Kit with decent electronics.

Here's my dilemma. I do like the two gear transmission in the TRX4. I don't like that i can't use my own radio with it (Sanwa MT-4), since it's only a 4 channel radio/receiver. I also don't want to buy the TRX4 and permanently lock the diffs, because it feels like i'd waste quite some money for something that i'm not using, if that makes sense.

Basically, here's the questions - tried googling it, didn't come up with much. First, would it be possible to wire the TRX4 diff-servos so they run off of one channel? Basically both diffs either on, or off.

Or, second, is the TRX4 transmission compatible with the TRX4 Sport Kit? As a "bolt on" replacement?

Thanks.
I have the TRX with locking diffs and 2 speed.

I dropped the 2 speed for 4WS. I have now dropped the front diff for a winch.

I comp and have no need for 2 speed but depending on you build you may have no need for 4WS.

The benefit to 2 speed is obvious. The benefit to the lockable lockers are not as obvious.

With the rear locker open it turns better, that is the obvious (esp with Over drive). It can also help improve steep climbs. On steep climbs, where you can flip backwards, if you do have a rear tire in a potion where it won't get traction and you open the rear diff the power goes to the tire with less traction and it just spins and your front tires take over and pull you up. You can climb things you could not climb before. When you learn how to pick lines you will be amazed at how this can help.

Opening the front locker can greatly improve side hill. Again the power follows the path of least resistance. Your front up hill tire while be not make as much contact as your lower front tire. When you open the front diff the power will go to the up hill tire and as it lifts it spins and when it comes down it will pull you up the side hill as opposed to pushing you down. It is really surprising how well this works.

I find more use for the rear selectable locker than the front so I have unplugged the front diff for the winch BUT I can unplug the winch and re-plug in the front diff and it only takes a minute of 2 to do that and reset my controller so depending on the course (side hill of the need for a winch) I can adjust. I can use a bungee instead of a winch.

I am not sure if I can answer your question but maybe I can give you something to think about.

Last edited by MOguy; 09-01-2021 at 07:54 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's TRX4 Sport Kit OSRC Traxxas TRX-4 100 06-06-2020 08:35 AM
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
trx4 sport kit build traxxas79k5 Traxxas TRX-4 0 05-20-2019 07:35 AM
TRX4 Sport Kit recommendations GMSYYZ Traxxas TRX-4 14 04-26-2019 08:43 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM