Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 Sport, help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 AM   #1

Default TRX4 Sport, help!!!

I’ve had a TRX4 Sport for about a month and am having an issue that hopefully someone can help with. The servo horn stripped about a week into it so rather than buying a metal servo horn I bought I highly reviewed 20kg servo with a metal servo horn off Amazon, and also installed a Holmes Hobbies 21t Trailmaster.

My issue is that I keep getting rapid flashing green light on my esc and losing steering. It’s usually intermittent that the steering would go out, unplug the battery and then it would work again for a while before just rapid flashing green light with no throttle or steering. I’ve changed the stock receiver and radio to a TQi I had laying around and the same thing has happened to 2 of those. I’ve tried rebinding and it just won’t do anything but rapid flash green.

After doing some research I’m going to install a bec, but are my 3 receivers now toast? I can’t keep buying $50 receivers every time I run it, let alone the frustration it’s causing. I have the same brand servo only 25kg in my Axial scx10ii with a Traxxas TQi radio and receiver and have never had an issue. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I generally run 3s 2200 fully charged batteries. Also I don’t put undue stress on the servo, it will happen when I’m just going straight.
Scissor34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

Default Re: TRX4 Sport, help!!!

I don't know what the rapid blinking green light indicates. The manual should tell you. But Traxxas receivers are typically pretty reliable in my experience. I've only had one fail over the 15 years or so that I've owned Traxxas vehicles.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
JC3
Quarry Creeper

I agree, the ESC manual should tell you what the green lights mean. Until you look into that you can't say with any certainty that the servo or the receiver are the issue or that there is anything at all wrong with your receivers.
JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

I’ve read the manual forwards and backwards and it says nothing about a rapid flashing green light. I’ve talked to Traxxas customer support and the only solution they have is sending the motor, servo, receivers, and esc to them and they “might” cover the repairs but were unsure because it’s 9 days past the 30 day warranty. I’m better off buying all new electronics from a different company. I’ve had the worst luck with Traxxas and I’ve been a loyal customer of theirs for over 15 years, have literally spent at least $6,000 on their products during that time with zero sign of good faith in return. Very frustrating. That’s why I wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue with their electronics.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #5

Never mind, I decided to take all the Traxxas electronics out, ridiculous the price they want for their proprietary products. Thanks though.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
JC3
Quarry Creeper

From another Traxxas manual (4-Tec car but same XL5 esc essentially):

Fast Blinking Green: The XL-5’s LED will blink fast green if
the speed control is not receiving a signal. Make certain the
speed control is properly plugged into the receiver and the
transmitter is switched on.

I wouldn't give up so fast on Traxxas support. They sent me a new ESC and motor even after I admitted to them that I modified the connectors and then plugged the battery wires in backwards! lol

Last edited by JC3; 08-12-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I had a similiar issue, but I had no throttle. It was the batteries in my TQi tx.
ksonghasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Well, there ya go! Throw those perfectly good electronics back in there and figure out what needs to be done. Bet you anything it's just something simple that got overlooked. You already spent the money on them, might as well use em'. Even if you do end up swapping the electronics, it will be cool to see what if anything actually did go wrong.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
From another Traxxas manual (4-Tec car but same XL5 esc essentially):

Fast Blinking Green: The XL-5’s LED will blink fast green if
the speed control is not receiving a signal. Make certain the
speed control is properly plugged into the receiver and the
transmitter is switched on.

I wouldn't give up so fast on Traxxas support. They sent me a new ESC and motor even after I admitted to them that I modified the connectors and then plugged the battery wires in backwards! lol

I’ve had nothing but terrible luck dealing with Traxxas support, idk if I seem to get the guys that are having a bad day or what but I’ve always been very polite, professional, and respectful with nothing in return. I asked if there was any steps he could walk me through to try to solve the issue rather than send everything in, his response was “no, you can send it in or take it to a local hobby shop to have them diagnose it”. I love the TRX4 Sport and how it performs when it actually was functioning, but I already ordered all new non Traxxas electronics so I can be done with their bs. My $360 Sport has all of a sudden become a $560 Sport just to make it operate properly. And I did try new batteries and checked all the connections. Thanks again to everyone for responding.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #10

Traxxas support has been great to me and all of my friends. It's odd you've had bad experiences.

I have had troubles getting Traxxas receivers to bind even using their method. Sometimes you have to do things in different order which, to me, is freaking odd!

With that being said, nothing is tying you to Traxxas electronics.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissor34 View Post
I’ve read the manual forwards and backwards and it says nothing about a rapid flashing green light.
Page 21. Found it in 30 seconds. Maybe try sideways....

"Fast Blinking Green: The XL-5 HV’s LED will blink
fast green if the speed control is not receiving a
signal. Make certain the speed control is properly
plugged into the receiver and the transmitter is
switched on"

My Defender did the same when the radio batteries dumped. Put new batteries in and it seemed to lose the bind. Re-bound the receiver and ESC it and it dropped again 2 minutes later. Re-bound and its good. No idea why it "unbound" but it's been fine since.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #12

Installed a Hobby Wing 1080 esc and bought a cheap Fly Sky radio with lcd screen including receiver ($40), ran it all day today and everything is perfect. Bonus that extra receivers are $10(Traxxas are $50 for the TQi I was using) and you can program 10 different models into it. Endless really simple adjustability on both the 1080 esc and the Fly Sky, wish I would’ve done this from the get go. I love the TRX4 Sport but if I ever bought another one I’d definitely get the kit to eliminate Traxxas electronics. JMHO

Last edited by Scissor34; 08-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 AM   #13
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Installed a Hobby Wing 1080 esc and bought a cheap Fly Sky radio with lcd screen including receiver ($40), ran it all day today and everything is perfect. Bonus that extra receivers are $10(Traxxas are $50 for the TQi I was using) and you can program 10 different models into it. Endless really simple adjustability on both the 1080 esc and the Fly Sky, wish I would’ve done this from the get go. I love the TRX4 Sport but if I ever bought another one I’d definitely get the kit to eliminate Traxxas electronics. JMHO
Well, most important thing is that you got it running and are now enjoying the best truck on the market for the money. Have fun! (FWIW, I went with the kit knowing full well that I'd end up with upgraded electronics. lol)
Old 08-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Well, most important thing is that you got it running and are now enjoying the best truck on the market for the money. Have fun! (FWIW, I went with the kit knowing full well that I'd end up with upgraded electronics. lol)

Absolutely! I’m just glad it’s up and running again, really like this truck! Thank you to everyone for their input.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #15

The video doesn’t do justice to how steep this was. Lol

https://youtu.be/TAz9arc8qkk
Old 08-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #16
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The video doesn’t do justice to how steep this was. Lol

https://youtu.be/TAz9arc8qkk
The more you tune them the better they get!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #17

Yes! I just need to do some work on my shocks to get them to perform correctly, but other than that I’m going to leave it as is until something breaks. It out performs my buddy’s Sendero with a LOT of brass as well as both of our SCX10ii’s.

Last edited by Scissor34; 08-20-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #18

Back to loving this truck! Lol

https://youtu.be/9o1DjGzUupc
Old 08-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

this pretty much discribes every exsperiance ive had with traxxasss electronics
frustration and replacing everything
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #20
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Back to loving this truck! Lol

https://youtu.be/9o1DjGzUupc
The more you drive it and challenge it, the better it gets. Enjoy!

TRX4 Sport, help!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport kit svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 265 06-27-2019 04:16 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM