Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help Please Brushless Combo and Gearing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 02:30 AM   #1

Default Help Please Brushless Combo and Gearing

Hi All,

I am currently upgrading my TRX4 Defender and looking to change the motor for a Hobbywing Axe brushless combo but unsure which motor and gearing setup would suit my needs the best.
I am looking for more focus on trail with occasional crawling so looking for more speed from the second gear but unsure which way to go.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
TraxxasTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #2

Default Re: Help Please Brushless Combo and Gearing

I just put the Hobbywing AXE 550 3300KV combo in my TRX4 Blazer and it's amazing. The combo comes with a 12T pinion, but I put an 11T on it. This is an all around perfect set up. Incredible low speed control for crawling and a blast to rip around in hi gear. I mostly trail run my rig and with the hobbywing app on your phone you have the ability to change several parameters of the motor including reducing the sensor so you get a brush motor feel with the throttle or increase it, set your cruise and just sit back and watch it climb a mountain with no input from your throttle finger. My brother has one in his Blazer as well as his Sport and my trx4 crawler project is getting one as well. Two more of our friends just purchased the same set up for their rigs. From what I've been told the 2700KV is great as well but for the same price I opted for the 3300. I hope this helps your decision, it's just my experience with this system, happy crawlin' !

Last edited by ROCJAM72; 09-01-2019 at 11:53 AM.
ROCJAM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCJAM72 View Post
I just put the Hobbywing AXE 550 3300KV combo in my TRX4 Blazer and it's amazing. The combo comes with a 12T pinion, but I put an 11T on it. This is an all around perfect set up. Incredible low speed control for crawling and a blast to rip around in hi gear. I mostly trail run my rig and with the hobbywing app on your phone you have the ability to change several parameters of the motor including reducing the sensor so you get a brush motor feel with the throttle or increase it, set your cruise and just sit back and watch it climb a mountain with no input from your throttle finger. My brother has one in his Blazer as well as his Sport and my trx4 crawler project is getting one as well. Two more of our friends just purchased the same set up for their rigs. From what I've been told the 2700KV is great as well but for the same price I opted for the 3300. I hope this helps your decision, it's just my experience with this system, happy crawlin' !

Thanks for the input ROCJAM72, i think that is the way i will go sounds like what i am looking to achieve, what difference does the 11T make over the 12T, also would i need to upgrade the plastic gears in the transmission or anything else to handle the extra power.

Many Thanks T
Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #4

You're welcome T, The 11T gears it down a bit compared to the 12T. Its actually the same size as the pinion on the stock brush motor, which I had dropped down to a 10T. My brother had done the brushless set up first and went with the 11T and after seeing the huge difference in top end he had I figured the 12T would be unnecessary. In reality when you put it in high and squeeze the throttle wide open it gets crazy fast compared to stock, lol. I have Ottsix KLR/M tires for the trails and on pavement in high I can pull 20 foot wheelies from a dead stop. As far as the gears in the tranny, none of us have had any issues in our TRX4's, yet. My brother just had his apart to swap to an aluminum tranny housing and all the gears looked new still. The only casualty so far has been a portal output gear and that was when he was running his 5.5" Boggers on the rocks and was hopping it continuously up the face of the boulder. Good luck with your new setup!
ROCJAM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCJAM72 View Post
You're welcome T, The 11T gears it down a bit compared to the 12T. Its actually the same size as the pinion on the stock brush motor, which I had dropped down to a 10T. My brother had done the brushless set up first and went with the 11T and after seeing the huge difference in top end he had I figured the 12T would be unnecessary. In reality when you put it in high and squeeze the throttle wide open it gets crazy fast compared to stock, lol. I have Ottsix KLR/M tires for the trails and on pavement in high I can pull 20 foot wheelies from a dead stop. As far as the gears in the tranny, none of us have had any issues in our TRX4's, yet. My brother just had his apart to swap to an aluminum tranny housing and all the gears looked new still. The only casualty so far has been a portal output gear and that was when he was running his 5.5" Boggers on the rocks and was hopping it continuously up the face of the boulder. Good luck with your new setup!

Just ordered the Hobbywing 3300 combo along with a set of RC4WD Alloy links and aluminium motor mount was looking at the ally tranny housing and also the upgraded portal axels which are a little steep at just shy of £100 for the 4.
Thanks for all you advice
Old 09-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #6

You would not know by any chance where i can get hold of the kit manual from, tried Traxxas and they did not want to know just told me to print it from the site, i have found Traxxas support not very helpful
Old 09-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

https://traxxas.com/support/manuals bottom of the electric section.

You might look at the Chassis Kit manual as well as the Kit is full assembly instructions and the Defender is just RTR and tuning specific.
MrAMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAMath View Post
https://traxxas.com/support/manuals bottom of the electric section.

You might look at the Chassis Kit manual as well as the Kit is full assembly instructions and the Defender is just RTR and tuning specific.

Thanks for the link but i am looking to purchase a original one.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #9

I run a 23 with 1900 revolver
Donny939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxxasTim View Post
Thanks for the link but i am looking to purchase a original one.
You'll likely end up spending far too much unless someone decides to have mercy on you and send you one. Seriously, go to a print shop and print the whole thing out if you don't have access to a printer yourself. It's incredibly cheap to print stuff from the web at most of them.

Otherwise, wait until you have your 30 posts and 30 days as a member and you can post in the "Wanted" section on this site. It's hidden from you until then, just like the "For Sale" section...
durok is online now   Reply With Quote

Help Please Brushless Combo and Gearing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gearing with this combo Harleyrocker Axial SCX10 II 6 09-18-2017 07:13 PM
Gearing combo. Mr.JayDeeM General Crawlers 6 09-03-2012 08:49 PM
novak goat brushless combo or rooster brushed combo? killerklod007 Electronics 6 04-08-2009 08:35 AM
motor/gearing combo??? WK_Krawler HPI Wheely King 8 06-11-2007 10:18 AM