RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   Need help with TRX-4 lighting (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/614593-need-help-trx-4-lighting.html)

Tilly70 01-09-2020 01:19 PM

Need help with TRX-4 lighting

I just finished building my TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit. I am running a Hobbywing 1080 ESC, Traxxas 400 in-oz servo (the red one), Holmes Hobbies 550 21t motor, and using a Spektrum SR315 receiver.

I am running the ESC at 7.4 volts to maximize the servo capabilities. I currently have the ESC and servo running directly into the receiver. I do not have a BEC hooked up (although I do have a Castle Creations 10amp ESC available).

I am interested in hooking up some lights; the TRX-4 Rigid Complete Light Set (part number TRA8030 which includes front and rear, light bar, and rock lights). Does anyone know how to get this all wired up using my current setup? Any help would be appreciated.

Inspector86 01-09-2020 02:57 PM

Re: Need help with TRX-4 lighting

The Traxxas 8030 light kit is over priced for what you get. It has no brake, turn or reverse light function. MyTrickRC UF7 based light kit provides those functions and it costs less than the Traxxas.

That said, the Traxxas 8030 includes a power supply which steps down the input voltage to 3v for the lights. This power supply has a red and black plug the red plug is input battery voltage while the black plug simply plugs into any open connector on the reciever and acts as an on/off switch. If you decide to install the 8030 kit you will need to solder in a JST pigtail from the XT60 plug to supply battery voltage to the light kits power supply.

JatoTheRipper 01-09-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5989311)
The Traxxas 8030 light kit is over priced for what you get. It has no brake, turn or reverse light function. MyTrickRC UF7 based light kit provides those functions and it costs less than the Traxxas.

That said, the Traxxas 8030 includes a power supply which steps down the input voltage to 3v for the lights. This power supply has a red and black plug the red plug is input battery voltage while the black plug simply plugs into any open connector on the reciever and acts as an on/off switch. If you decide to install the 8030 kit you will need to solder in a JST pigtail from the XT60 plug to supply battery voltage to the light kits power supply.

For some the plug and play that Traxxas provides is worth the extra money.

PowerShift RC also makes TRX-4 lights.

Inspector86 01-09-2020 05:45 PM

Jato,
The Traxxas 8030 kit is no longer plug and play once he installs a non-Traxxas ESC.

Just sayin!

JatoTheRipper 01-09-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5989349)
Jato,
The Traxxas 8030 kit is no longer plug and play once he installs a non-Traxxas ESC.

Just sayin!

Fair point, but I was talking about plug and play onto the body. With MyTrick and most others you need to drill holes in the body.

Tilly70 01-10-2020 05:20 AM

Because I bought the TRX-4 Sport Unassembled Kit, it comes with the light buckets for both front and rear. Do you know if the MyTrickRC UF7 light kit works with those light buckets?

SlidePanda 01-10-2020 11:01 AM

It will.

The light buckets just take standard 5mm bullet shaped LEDs for the headlights and brake lights. 3mm bullet shaped LEDs for the amber markers. There's nothing at all special about them... 100% common electronic jelly beans.

FWIW - you might look at the MyTrickRC Dragon controller as well. It's a bit smaller in form factor than the UF-7s since it's really designed for crawler type applications vs. the UF-7s being able to be more flexible. The UF-7s can be set up for boats, planes, drift cars, etc.

The Dragons can support a lot more of their high powered LEDs than the UF-7s and do so by direct plug ins. To use the high power LEDs in conjunction with the UF-7, you need a voltage regulator https://www.mytrickrc.com/shop/attac...wer-regulator/ to feed them. It works fine, but they are full bring (vs the 3 steps on the Dragon) all the time, and it'll support only 10 LEDs worth of their high powered LEDs.

As a related note, I did a pretty simple mod to the headlight buckets and a set of the MyTrickRC high powered chip on board headlights. I'd tried the 5mm bullets, and they just didn't throw light well IMO

Details:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...eadlights.html

89lxmorepower 01-25-2020 11:59 PM

If your on facebook you can also check out lit led for lighting as he custom builds kits to customer wants/needs colors ect. I have his lights on my rig for headlights taillights and rocklights

Rockin140 01-26-2020 08:30 PM

In adding lights to the TRX4 Sport Kit, what colors are you running front and rear?

In front, are you running 5mm white and 3mm white or amber?

I'm more interested in the rear with three lighting holes per side. I get 5mm red (or should it be white since the lens is red?) on top, but what about the two 3mm for each side? All are covered by a red lens, meaning no white reverse light. So what color bulb are you running in the two lower holes? Having a red lens, I can't imagine amber shows as amber.

I'm leaning towards a MyTrick RC setup, but unsure whether the Dragon or UF-7 controller is better. Time to read the manuals!

P.S I do not want to run the Attack headlight mod as shown in the thread. If I want more light I would do a light bar.

Inspector86 01-27-2020 05:01 PM

I have used both the Dragon and the UF7 controllers. The Dragon connects to direct battery voltage which is how it drives the high intensity light bars. However, my Dragon back fed and killed my receiver. I ended up sending it back to MyTrickRC and exchanging it for the UF7 but they would not pay for a replacement RX so that was on my dime. So now I use the UF7 exclusively.

MyTrickRC will build you a custom kit just specify qty, size, color of the LEDs you need and they will send you exactly what you need. Finally, I recommend WHITE LEDs for head light and backup lights, RED for tail lights and AMBER for front park lights.

Rockin140 01-28-2020 12:20 PM

"Finally, I recommend WHITE LEDs for head light and backup lights, RED for tail lights and AMBER for front park lights."

Followup questions...

Re the TRX4 Sport Kit, the rear accommodates three lights at each corner. On top is one 5mm. Below are two 3mm. The lens covers all three and is all red - meaning no white reverse lens portion over one of the 3mm.I get a red 5mm for the top. What do you suggest for the bottom two 3mm LED's considering the lens is all red? I would think amber would look odd through a red lens for a parking light. For reverse someone said using white through the red lens gives a pinkish look. Would having two red 3mm's work? Your thoughts please.

And at the front, is the amber parking light noticeable or is it washed out by the white 5mm headlight? Again, your thoughts.

Your experience w/ the Dragon is appreciated. That pushed me over the edge towards the UF-7. One last question. Re the Sport w/ 1080ESC, Futaba 3PV and UF-7, how do I wire it so the 3PV's 3rd channel will control the UF-7 on/off?

As a n00b, this site has been a tremendous learning experience! What amazes me is the depth of knowledge you and certain others provide. It is GREATLY appreciated"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

Inspector86 01-28-2020 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't have a light kit installed in my sport body but here is a pic of my XJ body grill which shows the contrast between the head light and park light. As for the rear of the sport I would use all red LEDs simply because as you said white will make it look pink and amber will make it look orange. BTW, the light bar on top is unplugged in this pic but it runs off the UF7 controller when I run in the dark.

Rockin140 01-29-2020 02:33 PM

Thanks Inspector86! I saw another pic today showing the Sport body w/ two whites up front. Think I'll do the white/amber up front and all reds in back.

Re on/off of the UF-7 from the Futaba 3PV, any suggestions? I 'think' I know how to wire it, but I don't want to burn something up to learn I was wrong.

iplaywithrocks 01-29-2020 06:35 PM

I have the same setup . I soldered a jst plug to the esc battery terminals . P to p and n to n and plugged in the Traxxas lights ! Works well

Inspector86 01-31-2020 12:23 AM

The UF7 is powered by the receiver via CH2. If you want the lights controlled on/off by the transmitter you would need to provide some sort of switch the transmitter could control. I just unplug mine.

Rockin140 01-31-2020 10:42 AM

But then the UF7 will not sense throttle for brake light function. Is that correct?

Inspector86 01-31-2020 05:33 PM

In order to have the brake light and backup light functions the UF7 needs to see the throttle signal from CH2. In order to have turn signals there needs to be another separate signal from CH1. I don't utilize the turn signal feature on my trucks. For these signals to work you must remove the ESC wire from CH2 and plug in a "Y" cable then reconnect the CH2 ESC wire, the other leg of the "Y" would provide the input to the UF7. Same thing would apply to CH1 for turn signals.

Rockin140 01-31-2020 06:16 PM

That I get. I understand how to install the Y-cable to get brake sensing to the UF7. What I don't understand, in 'stock' configuration, how do I wire it so as to get ch3 to work as as on/off switch? I'm thinking a second Y-cable where one end of the double Y connects to the single Y from the Y-cable connecting ESC and receiver. The second side of this Y-cable would then connect to the receiver's ch3 for on/off. The single end of this second Y-cable then goes into the UF7 port This way, when turned off, the UF7 isn't powered nor does it get a brake signal. When on, the UF7 would get the brake signal, and power from the ESC and receiver...BUT...also power from the receiver a SECOND time from the second Y-cable connected to the receiver's channel 3. With power coming from both y-cables, is that going to cause an issue? Hope this makes sense.

Inspector86 01-31-2020 09:22 PM

That might work. Take a look at this bypass harness sold by Holmes Hobbies.

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Or this

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

This harness would allow you to pickup the signal from CH2 and the power from CH3 if I am looking at it right.

Rockin140 02-01-2020 04:52 PM

Respectfully, I don't see how either would work. Though I am struggling w/ this.