Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Sanity Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

Default Sanity Check

Hey guys,

Ok, so the used Summit I picked up has some peculiarities. One of which, and is why I'm starting this thread, is the steering servo.

It's a Savox Digit SA1230SG. Says it's got 416ish oz-in of torque vs what, as far as I'm finding, is the stock Traxxas 2075 servo of 125 oz-in. Even with two of those stock, this one appears to be beefy enough.

It's also why I'm assuming I'm breaking the arm off the dual steering arm piece. Already happened once to me, and I just flipped it around, but I've got to think it's going to happen again in the near future, especially since there isn't a second servo to pull while this one is pushing.

So, question to y'all - if I get an aluminum version of that arm, do you think that'll solve my problem? I think everything downstream would be fine since it's already seeing that increased torque. Only things upstream are the servo horn and turnbuckle - I figure those probably are ok, but I could always replace those too with upgraded metal ones. Thoughts?

Oh, and since the pic is there, anyone see anything that jumps out as "OMG replace it immediately"? Figured I'd ask

Thanks everyone.

Cheers!
TheDirtyDiode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Sanity Check

I run my Summit with only one servo and I have not had the issue with breaking the steering arm, I think my servo is rated at around 300 in/lbs torque. My Summit is a FPV vehicle so I don't bash it at all which also my be the reason I'm not breaking steering arms.

I'd have to go look at mine to be sure but I think the shiftier servo has the spring loaded servo saver on it too. I do know on my TRX4 all 3 servos have the servo saver on them. Check your axles mine broke a front axle at the pin on the diff side, so check that area for cracks, stress & wear.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

How much voltage are you feeding the 1230SG? Per Savox the 1230 is rated at 416 oz-in at 4.8v and 500oz-in at 6v.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I run my Summit with only one servo and I have not had the issue with breaking the steering arm, I think my servo is rated at around 300 in/lbs torque. My Summit is a FPV vehicle so I don't bash it at all which also my be the reason I'm not breaking steering arms.

I'd have to go look at mine to be sure but I think the shiftier servo has the spring loaded servo saver on it too. I do know on my TRX4 all 3 servos have the servo saver on them. Check your axles mine broke a front axle at the pin on the diff side, so check that area for cracks, stress & wear.

So this one does have the servo saver spring on it, and I can't find anything obviously broken or cracked with the axles. I'm wondering if the previous owner had some sort of partial fracture there, and then we just finished it off shortly after we bought it. Guess I'm not going to worry about it too much unless it happens again.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
How much voltage are you feeding the 1230SG? Per Savox the 1230 is rated at 416 oz-in at 4.8v and 500oz-in at 6v.

Good thought. That I don't know right now. I've got the USB adapter on the way for the MMX so I can check parameters and reprogram, but without it, can I just check the voltage going out to the servo with a paperclip and a multi-meter? Can't think of a better way. I'll give that a go the next chance I get.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #6

Ok y'all, just did it again... this time it was totally my fault. Had the truck in a crevice and one of the wheels was pinned. Thought I'd be able to drive it out, but the wheel traction was greater than the strength of the arm.

In any case, checked the voltage, and it's 5.4V out of the receiver. Think I'm going to go with some metal arms... will post them up once I do the research. Also heard that my usb connector is coming for the MMX - totally stoked I'll be able to program it soon.

Cheers

Old 05-07-2020, 01:08 AM   #7

Well, Integy it is... only place that sells them and is in-stock. At least I get red, which matches the body

Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiode View Post
Well, Integy it is... only place that sells them and is in-stock. At least I get red, which matches the body
Integy stuff looks nice, but just be aware that they don't have the best reputation for quality or durability. And their customer service is nonexistent should you ever have a problem.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Integy stuff looks nice, but just be aware that they don't have the best reputation for quality or durability. And their customer service is nonexistent should you ever have a problem.

Yeah, that's what I'm fearing. No choice though, with the Covid-19 going around, everywhere else I looked wouldn't be able to deliver for weeks or had bad reviews for slop.... figured I'd take the chance. At least I have a few more plastic arms left in case something breaks again.

Tags
servo, summit

Sanity Check - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Listing price for Condo? Questioning my Realtor's Sanity CraZySteve Chit Chat 19 06-09-2016 06:17 PM
Sanity check: SCX10 Honcho rear articulation? Cr00zah Axial SCX-10 11 03-11-2014 02:22 PM
Newbie build, need sanity check cyrusd Newbie General 7 04-26-2011 08:49 PM
Sanity Check - 2 FXR, 4WS, Bullies, Punk Computer honyock Newbie General 0 10-11-2009 01:50 PM
check check 1 2 1 2...thank you Detroit xzk7nr Testing 1 2 3 0 04-04-2008 06:28 AM