RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Hoping for some guidance on upgrading my TRX4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/615160-hoping-some-guidance-upgrading-my-trx4.html)

BA0701 01-28-2020 10:53 PM

Hoping for some guidance on upgrading my TRX4

Hello all! I have purchased several items to upgrade my TRX4 Traxx with. What I am hoping for, is that someone might be able to provide me with the preferred order in which to install them. My plan is, currently, to install them all at the same time, so I am just trying to figure out which order to install them in, so that I do not find myself repeating steps that could otherwise have been avoided. The following are the upgrades I have purchased so far:

1) Traxxas 2255 Servo
2) Traxxas 2262 High Voltage BEC
3) Traxxas 8195 Differential Lock
4) Traxxas 8196 Two Speed Transmission
5) Traxxas 8140R Long Arm Kit
6) Traxxas 6507R TQi Transmitter set

Your assistance is appreciated far more than you know, and I thank you in advance for any help you might provide!

Mixelplix 01-29-2020 07:44 AM

Re: Hoping for some guidance on upgrading my TRX4

I'd do the long arm, diff, and trans at the same time. Then following reassembly I would do the BEC, and the servo.

I don't know the details regarding the TQi.

BA0701 01-29-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixelplix (Post 5994316)
I'd do the long arm, diff, and trans at the same time. Then following reassembly I would do the BEC, and the servo.

I don't know the details regarding the TQi.

That was great help, thank you very much for that!!!

Inspector86 02-04-2020 06:00 PM

A couple of things. 1. The Traxxas 2262 BEC is NOT "high voltage" it is in fact the stock 6v @ 3a non-adjustable. The ONLY thing you gain with a 2262 is the 3a output vs the XL-5 ESC 1a output. A MUCH better BEC is the Castle 10a or HeyOK no brainer, both of which are more powerful and less expensive. 2. The 8140 long arm kit is not a performance upgrade, it is more for looks and in fact will reduce overall crawling performance by virtue of the increased CG of the vehicle. Many who have installed the long arm kit have complained about loss of performance and later removed it.

Finally, this section is for Traxxas crawlers, the TRX4 specific section is below in the Scale crawler section.

MOguy 03-09-2020 08:01 AM

I just did a servo and BEC upgrade in my TRX4. Mine already had the 2 speed and selectable lockers.

I looked into the Traxxas BEC and High torque servo. There is in-depth testing of servos on RC Review. Long story short the Traxxas servo doesn't produce the power they claim and it loses power if repeatedly used. The BEC installs "inline" and because of the other servos it is limited to 6 volts.

I ended up going with the Castle 2.0 BEC and the Savox SA 1256 TG. They cost less than Traxxas and have very good reviews, It is the setup my local RC store guys uses in his crawler. He likes it, I trust his opinion.

The Traxxas BEC is a neat easy install but limited on power. Right now I am running my BEC on 6 volts (the Castle is adjustable) and it performs very well.

Ross413 03-30-2020 09:13 AM

Is the castle stuff waterproof?

CNCist 04-24-2020 01:18 AM

quick tip don't get the long travel KIT.

From what I've seen its only shocks that give you more travel. The front bars will help a little but mainly just the front upper link and servo drop should get you more travel. There is a good write up on this already I just can't remember where. Longer shocks alone will get you a ton more travel. The angle of the front diff is what limits a lot of your travel.

JatoTheRipper 04-24-2020 09:02 AM

Don't get the long arm suspension "lift kit" unless you are running only in mud. Otherwise it's going to perform much worse crawling. It may be necessary for 2.2 wheels and tires, but stick to 1.9 for best performance.

Traxxas electronics are great for plug and play, but not much else. Your money is better spent elsewhere. Even replacing the XL5 ESC with a $40 HobbyWing WP 1080 is a big improvement and then you won't need an external BEC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector86 (Post 5995917)
Finally, this section is for Traxxas crawlers, the TRX4 specific section is below in the Scale crawler section.

Moved. "thumbsup"