Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Another Lighting Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #1

Default Another Lighting Thread

Hey Guys, long time RC enthusiast, first time with a scale crawler.

picked up the TRX4 Blazer the other day, and im looking to do a recreation of my dads show truck from the 80s.

The traxxas light kit looks perfect as far as the headlights,tail lights, and markers but i will be adding more lights to the truck and i am curious as to how i can run them.

What i want to add in addition to the traxxas light kit, is 2 KC style round lights on the brush guard and a few across the roof. I know traxxas offers a light bar and some rock lighting that can be used, and plug and play with the traxxas lighting kit, but i would like to use the round lights to maintain "period correct" for the 80s scale build.

Is there a way for me to run the non traxxas LEDs off the main battery/reciever in while runnig the traxxas light kit?

Or another option i wouldnt mind is running the traxxas light kit as they intend, and running the other lights off a aux battery?
micbegwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Another Lighting Thread

My first suggestion is to get a 1-5 splitter - then you only have to open the receiver box one time. Becomes a hassle constantly opening and resealing watertight box for testing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Servo-Split...72.m2749.l2649

The TRX light kit takes power from the open receiver channel to ONLY "turn on and off" the Blazer lights - receiver on lights on, receiver off lights off. There is regulated lighting power supply (part #8028 comes with the Traxxas Blazer light kit) that gets battery voltage through the open JST plug from the ESC and reduces this down to 3VDC - lights plug into this 3VDC. This #8028 has a couple extra open connections - but they are the teenie tiny itty bitty connectors (I have no idea what they are called). Not even sure where to find them. And then, not too many LED lights (like the KC rounds you want to use) are as low voltage as 3VDC without you adding resistors.

Thus, my reasoning for the 1 to 5 splitter. Allows your Traxxas light kit to get the receiver signal it wants to turn lights on/off, and allows you to add lots of other light options using the normal 5-6VDC LED in the RC world, and reduces number of times you open the watertight receiver box.

I have the Blazer light kit connected this way, plus a 36 COB LED light bar on roof, front and rear bumper lights on aftermarket aluminum bumpers, and another lead for trailer light connection - that 1-5 splitter has been very handy

Last edited by vf750rider; 02-07-2020 at 07:10 PM.
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Another Lighting Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting Q WesTX Electronics 3 02-25-2015 11:03 AM
Lighting ?'s JDIRCC Axial Wraith 3 04-16-2014 09:47 PM
serious lighting for R/C YYCADM Electronics 8 09-12-2011 10:31 AM
Lighting nvradtec Electronics 4 09-01-2011 07:09 AM
Lighting Help JEEPTJ General Crawlers 0 05-14-2006 08:58 PM