Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Can you spot what's wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Can you spot what's wrong?

Hey guys,

Just did a total tear-down and rebuild of my new-to-me summit. Finally found out why it was leaning to the side. Can anyone spot why? :-)

Also, just to share, found a broken front bulkhead, several seized bearings, and a few bent tie-rods.

Cheers

TheDirtyDiode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Can you spot what's wrong?

Pushrod looks bent, but what's more concerning is the battery connector on your esc. It'll cause more issues then a leaning truck

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks like one of the front upper a arms is on upside down

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The power wire on the esc is scary. It also uses 2 niMh or 2S lipos wired in series.
Gramps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

Mikro383 was the closest - the previous owner had a left arm on the right side. No idea as to why either - they had an extra right in the heap of spares they sold me, so maybe they didn't realize it?!?! They also had 3 short axle driveshafts on instead of the 2 long & 2 short. Crazy.

As far as that connector goes - I had to make my own deans/Traxxas connector to get me by until the one I ordered came in the mail. It's actually pretty beefy - soldered spade connectors w/ heat shrink and solid 10 gauge wire. Not a good long-term solution, but got me by for a week. Taped up everything so it wouldn't shake loose. And yes, I totally cleaned up that crappy deans connector on the ESC side (after I took this pic) - 'bout had a heart attack when I saw that exposed and flapping in the wind. :-)

I also ended up also replacing those bent tie-rods, getting a proper ESC cage, putting the shafts on in the correct spots, and replaced some other items that were going South (like bearings). Also got the USB adapter for that MMX ESC, so have been having fun changing those settings too.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

Yeah I saw the wrong side upper a-arm up front. I hope you got that thing at a steal. It was obviously not a well loved machine and a possible basket case, money pit.
SF RC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF RC24 View Post
Yeah I saw the wrong side upper a-arm up front. I hope you got that thing at a steal. It was obviously not a well loved machine and a possible basket case, money pit.

Oh yeah, I was happy with the price. Got a ton of spare parts for it and a bunch of tire sets.

Looks soooooo much better now that I've torn it apart and cleaned things up. Just installed LEM diffs and dog and am loving it. Glad I tackled the diffs when I did as one was dry and the other looked like it reacted with a chemical or something and was getting brittle.

The dog made all of the difference since it takes up the slop in the gearbox. One of my next steps is to put in a sensored motor so I don't get all of the cogging when trying to crawl with it. Not horrible, just annoying.

Money pit, yeah, but it's been a blast. :-)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #8

i could not figure it out but that is why i hate buying used. you literally have no idea what the previous owner did to it.
zenitram09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Can you spot what's wrong? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Something wrong with my installation or wrong mounting holes made? novaris Axial SCX10 II 19 10-16-2016 04:36 AM
can you guys spot whats wrong with picture evan03 Chit Chat 26 01-30-2013 07:46 AM
CJ gone wrong 2 madscrambler 2.2 Scale Rigs 81 01-22-2011 09:17 PM
What am I doing wrong???? GreMonte Newbie General 14 05-12-2010 03:00 PM