RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   Just got a new TRX4 Bronco (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/617663-just-got-new-trx4-bronco.html)

debrent 04-26-2020 12:51 PM

Just got a new TRX4 Bronco

I’ve been reading quite a lot about the steering servo. Will I need to upgrade it for light trail use? In other words, is it complete junk?

This is only my 2nd crawler. My first was an SCX10 Honcho back in 2015. I used that for light trail crawling. I basically just like to drive in a scale like way along hiking trails. I’m not that into the hardcore “crawl up a wall of rocks” type of driving as it doesn’t look realistic to me.

I’ve also got a TRX4 Defender on the way as well so I’m looking forward to getting off my butt and getting some exercise.

OSRC 04-26-2020 01:20 PM

Re: Just got a new TRX4 Bronco

I've had good luck with mine (4 of them.) Certainly not the most powerful servo, but reliability-wise so far, so good. Regular trailing shouldn't tax it very much. I think they are somewhat hit or miss like any RTR gear.

A metal servo horn is a wise investment though.

dungeonracer 04-26-2020 06:34 PM

Agree with OSRC. I've run my Bronco on the stock servo for over a year, and I did some serious crawling with it, not just light trailing. But yeah, upgrade the servo horn ASAP. It's prone to stripping out, making you think the servo is bad.

WhiskeyThrottle 04-27-2020 08:32 AM

I just picked up a used Bronco trx4 and the steering servo is bad. The guy told me his kids were using it at the time so he didn't know why it happened. He also included 3 new micro servos in the deal, that tells me something.

CNCist 04-29-2020 03:16 AM

I've gone through two ecopower servos one wp120 and one wp110. However I run it in my backyard where its easy for me to take a nasty roll from 10ft high into bricks or roll off a small 3ft cliff. I threw in a cheapo traxxas plastic gear servo and it busted within 30mins, just steering through my gatekeeper.

I am not nice to servos. If you find yourself even breaking one with your challenge style, buy a strong reliable servo. I just ordered a promodeler 630. Decision was between the 630 or a mks x5. Biggest reason I spent 40 bucks more was cause its an American company.

JatoTheRipper 04-29-2020 08:58 AM

The stock servo in my Bronco ran fine, but it was lacking power for me. I switched out the stock XL-5 ESC for a HobbyWing WP 1080 which has a much better internal BEC. This allowed me to feed more power to the stock servo which really woke it up. But it only lasted a trail run or two after that because the extra power destroyed the gears.

KenB925 04-30-2020 10:31 AM

I'll just echo everyone else here, replace the plastic servo horn (i stripped mine out) and enjoy until it becomes the 'limiting factor' for you.