Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: How are the TRX-4 Bronco Inner Fenders Attached?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default How are the TRX-4 Bronco Inner Fenders Attached?

Hi there.

Would anyone be able to tell me exactly how the TRX-4 Bronco inner fenders are attached to the chassis? Better yet, pictures? I have a TRX-4 Sport and recently ordered the Defender inner fenders, only to find that they won’t fit easily, and appear to need glued on (?). I’m hoping the Bronco inner fenders are an actual direct fit on the Sport.

I’d really like some inner fenders but want something that will bolt on, hold sturdy, and not be too inhibitive to access shock mount bolts.

Also, the unpainted Bronco body is likely my next body project for this truck, so the inner fenders seem like they’d be sensible since they’re made for the body I’m likely getting.

I run in water/mud pretty often and my electronics sometimes get pretty nasty. Thinking the inner fenders will go a good way toward reducing that.

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. If anyone has use for these Defender inner fenders, I’d be happy to send them to you for the price of shipping.
slothRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How are the TRX-4 Bronco Inner Fenders Attached?

Defender inner fenders mount to the body, bronco/blazer and chassis kit fenders replace the shock hoops and bolt to the frame. They also include a tray in front of the servo for a short battery pack, or whatever you want to mount there.

There are two different versions, narrow and wide. Bronco/blazer/chassis kit are wide, and will not fit a sport body without trimming. Also, They will have a provision for the body post cross brace, but I’m not sure if it will line up in the same spot in the rear for the sport body post holes. Front is the same though. Narrow have an optional rubber extension piece that mounts to the outside that looks like you can trim to fit snug to the body. Both versions will bolt right up to your sport chassis.

Last edited by twade984; 05-11-2020 at 10:01 PM.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:19 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Defender inner fenders mount to the body, bronco/blazer and chassis kit fenders replace the shock hoops and bolt to the frame. They also include a tray in front of the servo for a short battery pack, or whatever you want to mount there.

There are two different versions, narrow and wide. Bronco/blazer/chassis kit are wide, and will not fit a sport body without trimming. Also, They will have a provision for the body post cross brace, but I’m not sure if it will line up in the same spot in the rear for the sport body post holes. Front is the same though. Narrow have an optional rubber extension piece that mounts to the outside that looks like you can trim to fit snug to the body. Both versions will bolt right up to your sport chassis.

This is incredibly helpful, thank you. I already have the Sport body trimmed a bit at the wheels because the tires were rubbing, so I don’t mind trimming a bit more if need be.

One thing I’d like to clarify... you wrote that the Bronco/Blazer chassis kit is wide. Do you mean the chassis itself is wider, as in the literal width between the frame rails is wider than the sport, or does it just have a wider profile after the fenders are installed to fit those wider Bronco/Blazer bodies?

Thanks so much again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

These chassis are all the same width. The difference is only the width of the inner fenders.
The sport you have uses Traxxas part number 8080 (narrow fender set). The sport body will drop right over these with room to spare. Since you mentioned you run in mud/water, you'll want a better fit between the inner fenders and the body, also get Traxxas part 8081...these are thick rubber extenders that screw onto the narrow inner fenders. They seal up the wheel wells much better. You will have to trim them to fit the sport body as they're oversized and not made for a specific body.

Last edited by vinnieb729; 05-12-2020 at 07:25 AM.
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieb729 View Post
These chassis are all the same width. The difference is only the width of the inner fenders.
The sport you have uses Traxxas part number 8080 (narrow fender set). The sport body will drop right over these with room to spare. Since you mentioned you run in mud/water, you'll want a better fit between the inner fenders and the body, also get Traxxas part 8081...these are thick rubber extenders that screw onto the narrow inner fenders. They seal up the wheel wells much better. You will have to trim them to fit the sport body as they're oversized and not made for a specific body.

This is probably getting into the weeds a bit here, but do you happen to know if the narrow inner fenders + rubber extenders are a good fit (both aesthetically and practically) for the Bronco body as well? I will be purchasing a TRX-4 Bronco body to paint and run as my main body before too long.

If the narrow fenders + extenders fit well for the Bronco body, my thought is that I could get an extra set of rubber fender extenders to trim to the Bronco body when I purchase it.

If the absolute best fit for the Body body is the Bronco inner fenders, I’d probably rather get those and trim the Sport body so that I have the best setup once purchasing the Bronco body.

Again, thanks so much for your responses.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #6

Here are the fronts of all 3 sport with narrow fenders and extensions then bronco the land rover

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
h22a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #7

Bronco body fits on sport fenders just fine.
Rear fenders are the same width

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
h22a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22a4 View Post
Bronco body fits on sport fenders just fine.
Rear fenders are the same width
Thanks so much for this!! This is very helpful.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Just a quick update...

Since I bought the wrong (Defender) fenders, I decided to try to "make them work" until buying a proper set. I cut a mounting hole to hold them with the upper shock bolt, and cut holes for zip ties to hold to the frame. I have some pics below.

They're definitely not perfect, but they're on there solidly and definitely doing more than if they weren't there.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I think you need to put some more air in the tires.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyPotty View Post
I think you need to put some more air in the tires.
I had just purchased those GMade wheels, but my new foams hadn't come in yet so I just through the (very beat) stock foams in.

Here's two shots with the new foams:

Last edited by slothRC; 05-24-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

i like the possible flexibilty of the narrow fenders with extensions. seems the most versatile and the most coverage!!
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn View Post
i like the possible flexibilty of the narrow fenders with extensions. seems the most versatile and the most coverage!!
That option really seems like the way to go. If I hadn't purchased the wrong thing the first time around, I would buy the narrow fenders with extensions and trim to fit for the best coverage.

Tags
bronco, fenders, traxxas, trx-4

How are the TRX-4 Bronco Inner Fenders Attached? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Blazer/Bronco or TRX-6 Mercedes? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 22 08-14-2020 08:25 AM
Vaterra Ford Bronco Inner Fenders Exclusive RC Scale parts 0 01-14-2016 06:37 PM