Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 or Summit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #1

Default TRX4 or Summit?

Hey guys. I'm new to RC. As a child I of course had "toy" RC cars but I'd like something a bit more serious as an adult & would like to get the kids involved as well. Ice learned from this site RC is a pick your agenda, specific type hobby.

What I'd like to do with mine is mess around in the snow, mud, puddles. In the woods over roots, up and down rocks, across bridges. I probably wouldn't do a ton of actual crawling but the option would be nice. I'd like something I can get technical with. The summit appeals to me because it looks like I can romp on it and it'll just go. The TRX4 appeals because it looks like I can get technical.

I'd like to get a decent starting point with an RTR and a good set of batteries and as I learn more about my preferences and the hobby, have a solid base to upgrade on.

Thanks for any input!
Live2Fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX4 or Summit?

Man I thought we went over this in your first thread already? The trx4 isn’t meant to go fast. But you can make it go fast. The summit isn’t a crawler, so not many people here are going to tell you to get the summit.
As I mentioned before the trx4 with traxx would be a decent option. But it is no where even close to fast on traxx, put a brushless setup and it will be quick with wheels n tires.
Your price point went from $500 to $700. That opens things up a bit. The trx4 is a far better rig then the scx10 first version you had a chance to mess with. But really the multiple threads on the same topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Man I thought we went over this in your first thread already? The trx4 isn’t meant to go fast. But you can make it go fast. The summit isn’t a crawler, so not many people here are going to tell you to get the summit.
As I mentioned before the trx4 with traxx would be a decent option. But it is no where even close to fast on traxx, put a brushless setup and it will be quick with wheels n tires.
Your price point went from $500 to $700. That opens things up a bit. The trx4 is a far better rig then the scx10 first version you had a chance to mess with. But really the multiple threads on the same topic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just finding different areas within the forum. Don't know if everybody visits all the areas. My price point for the vehicle was $500, but with the batteries I wanted with the charger was $200. I do appreciate the help and am in no way not listening to the advice, just making sure others who visit other areas here get a chance to chime in.
Live2Fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #4

Love the Summit!
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I prefer the TRX4.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #6

I love my Summit.

Ok, let me say that I also like the TRX4 as well (among other crawlers), so I'm not bashing on them here.

Summit can "crawl" despite what anyone ways... it just isn't a scale crawler. All depends on the type of crawling you want to do.

What I like about it, is that I can go over pretty big obstacles - slowly if I try, and then just bash over them if I get tired of it. Pretty versatile truck!

Mine's upgraded to a sensorless brushless motor, which works, but I'm going to go sensored at some point, as it helps with cogging. The cogging is by no way a killer... just something I want to do away with in the future.

The biggest thing that helped me was to upgrade the "dog" in the gearbox... it eliminates a bunch of the hysteresis - or slop - in the truck. Made technical climbs much easier (like boulders or log piles)

Anyways, just my 2 cents. Like I said, I like the TRX4 as well, but the Summit is just more fun to use for me. I like walking on trails with it and then climbing up anything I can find. I don't feel like I'm going to hurt it like a TRX4 trying to bash.

For your price point, you could get a new Summit with a brushed motor, or you could find a used one that maybe someone had upgraded. That's what I ended up doing. I could have kept it as is, but I've been putting even more $$ into it to make it even better. Such is the curse of this hobby :-)

Best of luck in whatever you get!
TheDirtyDiode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Do you have access to large rocks and logs ? The Trx-4 needs almost vertical to be challenged. If you just have slight inclines and bumps around ..then the Summit would be more fun. Life is short...get them both!😀
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 or Summit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM