Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: trx4 servo horn with shv500LP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2022, 09:03 PM   #1

Default trx4 servo horn with shv500LP?

What are some good choices for a servo horn to use with John's SHV500LP? Justin at Holmes cautioned me about going stock Traxxas and it rubbing on the servo casing. Does a GRC G2 Ackerman set up affect the servo/servo horn install? This is a kit build so it has not been christened yet.
Ovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: trx4 servo horn with shv500LP?

I suggest a good double clamping. Don't go cheap. Get a good one. I have the vanquish one on my shv500v3, but not sure about the clearance on the LP one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I only ever ran the traxxas horn on my trx4’s, it definitely made contact with the case on the shv500v3.

If the vp horn clears, I definitely recommend it.

twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the Vanquish recommendations, I checked their web-site and they make two t25 horns. I measured the stock traxxas metal horn at 22mm, hole center to hole center. The Vanquish pieces are 20mm and 24mm, with the longer one having two steering holes. Their site says it's 24mm to the longest(outside) hole, but no mention of the other hole distance. As of yesterday they have not responded to me, and being the weekend, if I do hear back from them it will not be till sometime next week. Someday I might actually get to do some crawling with this truck.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovok View Post
Thanks for the Vanquish recommendations, I checked their web-site and they make two t25 horns. I measured the stock traxxas metal horn at 22mm, hole center to hole center. The Vanquish pieces are 20mm and 24mm, with the longer one having two steering holes. Their site says it's 24mm to the longest(outside) hole, but no mention of the other hole distance. As of yesterday they have not responded to me, and being the weekend, if I do hear back from them it will not be till sometime next week. Someday I might actually get to do some crawling with this truck.

Looks like the closer hole would be 20mm from the servo shaft

If the extra length doesn’t interfere with anything on the chassis, that would be the way to go

In fact, here are some comparisons between the two.

And lastly, the circled portion below is what hit on my shv500v3, you could probably just trim that to fit and still use the traxxas horn also.

Old 04-09-2022, 03:49 PM   #6

Yeah, taking my dremel to the stock horn was the first thing I though of, but then again you have a cast piece and a weakened area vs. a billet one. Still it wouldn't be too bad as a back-up spare. Then again does a Vanquish horn need a back-up??? Thanks for taking the time for the pic's twade984, much appreciated.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm a committed Amazon 5-for-$10 25mm servo horn guy, because when one of those strips out, I don't care. I've killed two Vanquish and and a ProTek. Seeing those completely rounded out stung a bit.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:09 PM   #8

I guess no matter how well made the servo horn is it can't compete with a strong servo.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:47 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default trx4 servo horn with shv500LP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovok View Post
Yeah, taking my dremel to the stock horn was the first thing I though of, but then again you have a cast piece and a weakened area vs. a billet one. Still it wouldn't be too bad as a back-up spare. Then again does a Vanquish horn need a back-up??? Thanks for taking the time for the pic's twade984, much appreciated.

TBH the only servo horn I’ve ever stripped was a plastic scx10.2 horn… I’m pretty easy on my rigs.

And you’re welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I'm a committed Amazon 5-for-$10 25mm servo horn guy, because when one of those strips out, I don't care. I've killed two Vanquish and and a ProTek. Seeing those completely rounded out stung a bit.

That’s a good point, I have probably 10 of those handy if need be. I’ve yet to strip anything but a plastic horn, so I can’t necessarily vouch for durability.

Old 04-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have been running this Protek servo horn since before there was TRX4 specific servo horns. It is nearly identical in all dimensions to the stock horn so you don’t end up with funky steering geometry.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

trx4 servo horn with shv500LP? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCBee has a TRX4 Servo Horn for Reefs Servos Question Please HELP! Honeyman108 Traxxas TRX-4 8 03-30-2021 07:32 PM
OFNA Servo Horn stout enough for Protek 170T Servo? Banjoblue Axial Wraith 2 06-25-2015 05:30 PM