Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX4 steering issues, who’s got the answer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #1

Default TRX4 steering issues, who’s got the answer?

I’m wheeling a TRX4 blazer and I am having some serious steering flex, I’ve called Traxxas and I’ve checked the servo... the servo is fine and Traxxas wasn’t really a big help.

I found a YouTube video with my exact problem but it seems the only solution is fabricate something or delete the drivers front inner fender and buy an aluminum shock tower.

Any help would be awesome!

Here’s the link to the you video.
https://youtu.be/nll7dc0L1KU

Thanks,
Joe
Bowtiewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX4 steering issues, who’s got the answer?

So you're referring to the panhard mounts flexing? I've never had any issues and I'm pretty demanding of my equipment, but I'll have to take a closer look next time.

It looks like the solutions are right there in the video, either make your own brace, buy new front shock towers to get a metal panhard mount and get lower metal (axle) link mounts.

I will just add that the companies that make metal shock towers are kind of known for using low strength alloy.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
So you're referring to the panhard mounts flexing? I've never had any issues and I'm pretty demanding of my equipment, but I'll have to take a closer look next time.

It looks like the solutions are right there in the video, either make your own brace, buy new front shock towers to get a metal panhard mount and get lower metal (axle) link mounts.

I will just add that the companies that make metal shock towers are kind of known for using low strength alloy.
Well Traxxas seemed to think that mine was a 1 off situation, but I just bought my blazer and I would bet I’ve have 6 full batteries through it, but my buddies bronco has been ran hard and his has terrible flex it’s actually how I noticed it, and then compared it to mine.

I have read that the aftermarket shock towers are a bit weak and they require the removal of the inner fender. I’d rather not go that route, and making one is the challenge.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

I added the Samix alum shock towers to my TRX-4. I can say that these shocks towers are made very well and are very strong. I cut and notched out the stock inner fenders so that they would fit over the shock towers. I also did the same for the rear.

Here are a few pics of how I cut and Dremeled the inner fenders:

Name:  IMG_2702.jpg
Views: 4527
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2703.jpg
Views: 4351
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2704.jpg
Views: 4291
Size:  168.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2705.jpg
Views: 4272
Size:  161.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2706.jpg
Views: 4260
Size:  174.3 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I added the Samix alum shock towers to my TRX-4. I can say that these shocks towers are made very well and are very strong. I cut and notched out the stock inner fenders so that they would fit over the shock towers. I also did the same for the rear.

Here are a few pics of how I cut and Dremeled the inner fenders:
Thank you! I was wondering if this was possible.
Do you have any issues with mounting the fenders back on the truck?
Old 06-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiewarrior View Post
Thank you! I was wondering if this was possible.
Do you have any issues with mounting the fenders back on the truck?
Your welcome!

I had to make an alum bracket for the front fenders. It is just a simple piece of sheet alum cut out and drilled to mount the front. In the rear of the front fender, I drilled a hole in the back of it and secured it to the slider with a zip-tie. It is a solid mount and have not had an issue with the zip-tie. I would have bolted it, but there wasn't much material to drill a big enough hole for a screw. You can kinda see the zip-tie in the pic under the slider near the fender.

Here is a pic of the front fender:

Name:  IMG_2722.jpg
Views: 4562
Size:  111.2 KB

On the rear, I just used the existing mount. To keep the fender secure, I ran a screw thru the inside of the fender and screwed it into the shock tower. I don't have a pic of it at the moment. I can get a pic of it when I get off work if you need it.

Name:  IMG_2694.jpg
Views: 4171
Size:  160.5 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Your welcome!

I had to make an alum bracket for the front fenders. It is just a simple piece of sheet alum cut out and drilled to mount the front. In the rear of the front fender, I drilled a hole in the back of it and secured it to the slider with a zip-tie. It is a solid mount and have not had an issue with the zip-tie. I would have bolted it, but there wasn't much material to drill a big enough hole for a screw. You can kinda see the zip-tie in the pic under the slider near the fender.

On the rear, I just used the existing mount. To keep the fender secure, I ran a screw thru the inside of the fender and screwed it into the shock tower. I don't have a pic of it at the moment. I can get a pic of it when I get off work if you need it.
I appreciate the photos, I need to get my fenders off, this might be the best route.

Traxxas seems to think this isn't an issue and that it is more likely I broke something, I know its not broken so it seems like an issue to me, HAHA.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiewarrior View Post
I appreciate the photos, I need to get my fenders off, this might be the best route.

Traxxas seems to think this isn't an issue and that it is more likely I broke something, I know its not broken so it seems like an issue to me, HAHA.

Traxxas says it not an issue because for 90% of their customers this isnt a problem for them. Where as folk on this site care a lot more about little things like this and for us it is an issue. I cant blame a company for not listening to the 10% of us.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Traxxas says it not an issue because for 90% of their customers this isnt a problem for them. Where as folk on this site care a lot more about little things like this and for us it is an issue. I cant blame a company for not listening to the 10% of us.
Yeah you are right, over all they seemed pretty on board to help! It is just something they don’t have a fix for yet.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The plastic panhard bar mount is too flexible for my taste as well and like Humbolt said 90% of the people won't notice. But installing a quality aluminum shock mount will make a noticeable improvement. At first I installed HotRacing aluminum mounts but they have a small cross section on the panhard mount which eventually broke off. I really like the Yeah Racing shock mounts. Also, plan on installing a new steering servo and aluminum steering horn sooner rather than later. Also just FYI, TRX4 posts should be placed in the TRX4 specific section below.
Attached Images

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-20-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

is this a solution looking for a problem? what performance deficiency does the flexing cause? personally, i kind of like the tire being able to be forced/pressed into an obstacle rather than actually turning the tire and possibly upsetting the rig.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
The plastic panhard bar mount is too flexible for my taste as well and like Humbolt said 90% of the people won't notice. But installing a quality aluminum shock mount will make a noticeable improvement. At first I installed HotRacing aluminum mounts but they have a small cross section on the panhard mount which eventually broke off. I really like the Yeah Racing shock mounts.
Thank you for this info, did you have to cut your fenders also to make these work?

Quote:
. Also, plan on installing a new steering servo and aluminum steering horn sooner rather than later.
Yeah I know, when I initially noticed this issue I thought I finally smoked the factory servo, from what I read they typically don't make it past the second pack haha!

Quote:
TRX4 posts should be placed in the TRX4 specific section below.
Sorry, new to the forum and still trying to sort out the in/outs of this forum. If a moderator can move the tread to the proper location that would awesome.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn View Post
is this a solution looking for a problem? what performance deficiency does the flexing cause? personally, i kind of like the tire being able to be forced/pressed into an obstacle rather than actually turning the tire and possibly upsetting the rig.
This issue is 100% based on the driver of the truck, IMO it really affects performance.

when your out trailing and you get the rig up against an obstruction a combination of the weak servo, loose servo saver, the "flex" of the panhard/track bar mounts (upper & lower) the truck looses about 80-90% of its steering.

for me, I would prefer to have way more control of my steering, although this is a give and take relationship if everything is "stiff" and "solid" it requires being more reserved as a driver. All the flex points described above means nothing breaks, but when you remove all of that, the steering servo internals will take all the abuse.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:21 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i found the limits of the panhard mounts, especially since i am running the Holmes Hobbies servo. i have been noticing that the steering trim has needed constant adjustment. sometimes left, sometimes right. and even after an adjustment, i find its not enough. picking the rig off the ground, i can see both the upper an lower panhard mounts not only flexing, but flexing and "staying out of position" (as if they lost their shape memory). my home course is a large pile of logs so it is VERY hard on the steering and the steering is constantly binding on obstacles. i amm looking at the samix front mounts, but i am wondering:
1) how they are holding up
2) what other options have people used
Old 08-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the samix mounts. I’ve never heard of or seen a failure with theirs and I use their shock towers myself on other rigs.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't stand the flex in the panhard mount. I replaced the axle side mounts with aluminum replacements from Hot Racing and that helped immensely. Now I just have to keep an eye on the two bolts holding it to the housing as they slowly work loose. Not much, but enough that about every 10 or so hours of hard use they need a little snugging.

On the frame end I made a simple bracket out of plate steel plate that has about a 90* bend in it. Drilled two holes in it, one for the panhard bolt, an another that goes through the bottom of the chassis. This required precise placement of the second hole because there is barely room inside the chassis rail to capture 3mm nut. It took me a couple trys to get the bend and hole placement exact, but it was worth it. No more flex on the chassis mount, and the hardware stays tight. Been abusing it for over a year with a Promodeler 470 reefing on the links. Now it just wears out rod ends, and I can live with that.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the samix mounts. I’ve never heard of or seen a failure with theirs and I use their shock towers myself on other rigs.
I'm new to Rock Crawling but old AF (first RC was an RC10 in 198 and returning to RC after a 20 year break.

ANYWAY, my point is that I still view some flex as extending the lifespan of other components, BUT I don't know if that's relevant to crawling. I bought several Samix products for my TRX-4 Bronco over the last few weeks, and I've been very pleased with the fit and finish. Parts that are almost an interference fit, are parts that are made to a high standard... usually.

So yeah, guess I'm just tossing my .02 in on Samix being decent stuff.
Merovean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I got the samix front shock mounts because of its upper panhard mount. Looked the best out of everything I saw. Very happy with the quality.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

i received my front Samix mounts yesterday and got them mounted up last night. I was a little disappointed in their installation. With no instructions, i had to figure out which bolts are for what. I ended up with a mixture of previous bolts (from fender and shock mounting) and new bolts. When mounting the panhard bar to the upper panhard mount, the panhard mount has one threaded hole and a non threaded hole Turns out the non threaded hole is too samll to slide a bolt into. So i threaded the bolt in from the threaded side and forcefully screwd it through the non-threaded side. Its solid and works, just not pretty. thirdly, when i was all bolted up, the right side travel was limited due to some binding. i finally narrowed it down to the left side shock spring preload contacting the new mount. i needed to swap in a longer bolt and used a M3 nut as a spacer.

The mounts seem nice and solid, but a little extra effort in their design would make the product hassle-free. especially since these are "made for" the trx4.

Ill probably cut up my fenders as well to keep debris off of my electronics.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Spare nuts, bolts and M3 spacers come in handy for these times. Good old bolt on fittament!

TRX4 steering issues, who’s got the answer? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 lost steering One-t-hawley Electronics 7 10-15-2018 08:14 PM
TRX4 steering calibration? Inspector86 Traxxas TRX-4 6 09-04-2018 09:14 PM
Trx4 differential issues browningjason78 Traxxas TRX-4 4 05-14-2018 06:34 AM
Steering issues dasco Axial XR10 3 10-25-2016 05:32 AM
steering issues bandit crawler Traxxas Crawlers 5 03-19-2005 07:49 PM