Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Noob with TRX-4 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Default Noob with TRX-4 questions

Ok, so I'm thinking I want to get my first crawler, and I think I have it nailed down to the TRX-4. I really like the Portal axles, the remote locking diffs, and 2 speed tranny. When looking at Traxxas' web site, it looks like they have 7 versions of it.

299.00 TRX-4 SPORT UNASSEMBLED KIT- Comes with an unpainted truck body, but no RX/TX, motor, ESC, steering servo
359.00 TRX-4 SPORT- RTR truck body with radio
395.00 TRX-4 CHASSIS KIT- Which is the chassis, and radio but no body.
419.00 TRX-4 TACTICAL- RTR with "tactical" body, and radio.
459.00 TRX-4 DEFENDER- RTR with Defender body and radio.
459.00 TRX-4 BRONCO- RTR with Bronco body and radio.
499.00 TRX-4 BLAZER- RTR with Blazer body and radio. (pre-order)

Here's where I'm confused so tell me if I'm wrong...

1. It looks like the chassis are the same on all models, but some models have different bumpers (for scale reasons) and some models have what look to be inner fender wells. Besides those two things, are they all the same? Like could I get a Defender model and later add the correct bumpers and inner fender wells to it, then get a Bronco body for it and there would be no difference?

2. Also, if I wanted to put say a Jeep Willys body on it later, is it relatively easy to do so and what would I look for? Do I look for a 1/10 scale Jeep body, or do I look for a Jeep body with the correct wheelbase?

3. If that is possible, do any of you have a TRX-4 with a Willys body on it? (Looking for pics)

4. It looks like the 359.00 TRX-4 Sport version does not have the TQi™ 2.4GHz Radio System, it just has the TQ™ 2.4GHz 2-Channel Radio System. It looks like it may not have the remote locking diffs, and 2 speed tranny. Is that correct?

5. The Defender doesn't say "waterproof electronics" like the other versions, is this model not waterproof?

6.Do the Defender, Blazer and Bronco Version come with battery and charger?

7. is the "395.00 TRX-4 CHASSIS KIT" just an unassembled Defender model with no body?
Scratchthejeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Noob with TRX-4 questions

459.00 TRX-4 BRONCO- RTR with Bronco body and radio.
499.00 TRX-4 BLAZER- RTR with Blazer body and radio. (pre-order)

i have the bronco version ready to run i would buy it again and then get the Blazer
afrofroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchthejeepguy View Post
4. It looks like the 359.00 TRX-4 Sport version does not have the TQi™ 2.4GHz Radio System, it just has the TQ™ 2.4GHz 2-Channel Radio System. It looks like it may not have the remote locking diffs, and 2 speed tranny. Is that correct?

I just picked up the sport model. You are correct that it does not have the Locking Diffs or 2 Speed trans, hence the basic radio. As a beginner to crawling I actually like the simple controls and basic body. I think if I dropped almost $500 on a truck I'd be afraid to roll it causing damage.
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

All models have portal axles and all of them are waterproof. The only exception to the waterproof is the Sport Kit, as you supply your own electronics and need to make sure what you put in is waterproof too. It includes the waterproof rx housing though. No matter what on the waterproofing, you don't want to completely submerge the truck every single day and if you get it wet very often make sure you're tearing down the portals, transmission and diff housings and regreasing them with marine grease every 7-10 runs to keep everything going smooth. Heck you can also just beat the crap out of it and replace things as they break since parts aren't insanely expensive, but taking care of the drivetrain goes a long way to keeping those parts fresh.

The Tactical and Defender models are long wheelbase (12.7") versions of the chassis. The front is identical but the links are different in the rear than the other versions.

The Sport, Sport Unassembled Kit, TRX4 Assembly Kit, Bronco, and Blazer are all the short wheelbase (12.3"). It's somewhat of a minor difference, but if you buy a Defender and want a Bronco body later on, Traxxas sells a ~$20 conversion kit to change wheelbases and add the inner fenders.

None of the models come with batteries or chargers. If you're just getting started, pick up the Traxxas 3S Completer Pack. Comes with two 3S 5000 Lipo packs good for 1.5-2 hours each and a dual charger. If you're already well into the Lipo world then grab whatever brand and plug style battery suits your tastes best, but I personally still love the simplicity of the TRX stuff because it reminds me of the elegant system DJI has in place with their smart batteries on the Mavic Pro, Phantom, and Inspire drones.

The Sport and Sport Unassembled Kit both lack the 2-speed transmission and locking differentials. These can be added later if you want with Traxxas conversion kits or by simply buying takeoff parts from eBay. The Sport RTR comes with a 2-channel radio because it's got nothing to shift or lock/unlock. Your biggest hurdle to upgrading a sport to a 2 speed or to locking diffs is the need for a better radio.

Honestly, a good deal of us lock the diffs permanently or delete the diffs in favor of locked spools anyways. I love the feature a lot, but I got fed up replacing broken locker servos and trying to keep the cable mechanism working with no binding, especially when the rear locker came undone 30 feet up a steep climb and the truck rotated on its unlocked diff axle and came tumbling down. The 2 speed however, I swear by it and absolutely love the versatility it gives.

Hope this helps somewhat. Love my Bronco:

Oh, and as for your body questions - most of the Willys stuff is usually for an even shorter (11.3) wheelbase than what the TRX4 can pull off. I haven't seen one but I've certainly seen SCX10IIs with them. That being said, it's definitely doable but will take some messing with both at the chassis level and maybe stretching the body a little. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with a bit more info or maybe a Willys-style body at the correct WB.

And lastly, you're gonna want to upgrade the steering servo on any TRX4 you end up with. The stock one is weak and failure prone. I can't recommend Traxxas's new 300 and 400 servo upgrade options as they're pricy and mine developed bad slop in just 10 runs. Not sure they're all like that, but it was RMA'd to Traxxas and am waiting to hear back if they'll swap it out or not.

Last edited by jessedacri; 04-25-2019 at 12:39 AM.
jessedacri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:16 AM   #5

Hi, I own a defender, a bronco and a sport kit,
My recommendation will be to buy yourself either the Bronco or the sport the Broncos going to come with all the bells and whistles and the sport is going to be just a basic crawler,

the defender and tactical are really nice but the wheel base is larger so theres not a lot of diferent bodies for it out there and its very top heavy, its more like trail truck than a crawler

The bronco, and blazer have the 2 speed and locking differentials which is a very good option if you like crawling and a little bit of speed but the inner fenders on the bronco make it hard to find a different body, unless you trim them

The sport come with 1 speed and locked differentials, its a good crawler but has no speed, a good starter like they said in the previous post

My first one was the Defender

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk
Realmrclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #6

I'm just getting back into the RC sport. I found a used TRX-4 "Tactical" with battery and charger for a reasonable price on craigslist. For me, It will be a good base to build and learn off. TRX4 manuals are online and downloadable also.
cpl666k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

I have the TRX-4 Chassis Kit. It is basically an unassembled Bronco with the 12.3" wheelbase. It does come with the Defender front & rear bumpers. It comes with all electronics including the 2-speed shift servo and lock/unlock diff servo.

Here is a pic of mine freshly built. I did swap out the stock ESC for the Hobbywing 1080 and replaced the stock motor for a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport. Everything else is stock out-of-the-box.

Name:  IMG_1291.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1310.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1311.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  179.1 KB
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

I didn't realize there were two different WB options as well. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I'll get the Bronco then. I like Bronco's better than Defenders anyways. I'll be on the lookout for a nice Jeep body and make it work.
I guess I'm not dead set on a Willys body, but I really want something Jeep. I might look at the FC's, Gladiatiors, Kaisers, etc...

Last edited by Scratchthejeepguy; 04-25-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #9

The Axial Cherokee sport Jeep body is a perfect fit for the TRX4 chassis kit if you like Jeeps.

Last edited by triafgg; 04-27-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
triafgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by triafgg View Post
The Axial Cherokee sport Jeep body is a perfect fit for the TRX4 chassis kit if you like Jeeps.

That s a possibility as I do like the old XJ's... Which TRX-4 WB is that? The Bronco/Blazer length, or the Defender/Tactical length?
Old 04-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Posted earlier the kit is 12.3 wb (and thats the wb of those axial bodies. 12.3 or 313mm.)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Spend some time looking through the Official TRX4 picture thread for body ideas.

TRX4 Official Picture Thread - No talking!
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #13

Just got an e-mail from Traxxas. TRX4 Tactical went on sale. Normally 419.99, currently 379.95. Just a heads up!
CodeEzra_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #14

thank you Jessiedacri for the reply. thi sis a GREAT QUESTION, and awesome answers... this helped me a great deal.
thank you
SSmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:44 AM   #15

This is so tempting.One of these may be coming home soon.
gritsngreens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
I think if I dropped almost $500 on a truck I'd be afraid to roll it causing damage.

Don't worry about it. They are not indestructible but they are pretty damn tough.

Where I play it's at the top of the hill with lots of jagged sedimentary rocks. When I take the wrong line, or just do something stupid, the cars end up at the bottom by violently tumbling 20 yards down the hill.

The only damage I've gotten (knock on wood) was the stock servo horn - replaced with aluminum. And some scratches on the lexan - this is cosmetic and just part of the game.
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote

Noob with TRX-4 questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about a TRX-4: a couple of questions Foghat Newbie General 35 01-28-2020 06:07 AM
Noob trx owner CdnCrawler Traxxas Crawlers 11 11-13-2018 09:55 PM
few questions on the EVX2 ESC by TRX SwampDawg Electronics 2 03-03-2014 12:45 PM
Noob Questions netsurfr Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 3 01-30-2011 11:18 AM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM