Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX-4, more speed biased use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TRX-4, more speed biased use?

I now the TRX-4 is more a crawler based/focused model BUT I would like to get one for more "speed" based use. Not crazy fast, just fun on the flat. Just like the look of the TRX and can get spares easy and cheaply.

I would like to know what sort of motor I could run before the gears etc struggle? as I realise it was not built for this. I also know there are a lot of better cars suited.

I have seen vids of TRX`s doing crazy speeds BUT no details of the equipment or mods are given.

Any info would be great thanks.
Gazzalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TRX-4, more speed biased use?

I've seen people drop in brushless 4S systems into a bone stock truck and beat the snot out of them no problem. They are pretty tough out of the box, I would say you don't need a thing to get started.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info, hearing the mention of being tough from the get go is good to hear.

I am new fairly new to the hobby, I have a good stock of 3s LiPo`s so aim to run them. Also have a 3200kv motor,do you think that will be a good middle ground choice? don't want blow the tyres off power, just grins OR should I go more KV`s or less??
Old 01-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Are you looking for it to only be fast or also be a slow climber?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Have u checked out harley designs n scale builders guild videos of the trx6? They give alot of good info on wat parts they use n it quite entertaining to watch
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm not a huge Kevin Talbot fan, but he does a heck of a job trying to destroy a trx4 with 6s castle power. Those vids are worth watching. Its unreal the abuse the trx4 tolerates.

A trx4 on 3s with a puller pro 3500kv should boogy. I have one in a bomber and it rips. Enough torque to get away with whatever gearing you dare. I run a 2200 version in a trx4, and its plenty powerful on 3s geared 12/45. But if you want silly, go for the 3500.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Sorry for the delays guys. It will never get climbed where I am I have no terrain worth a "crawler" setup. I really like the TRX4 looks AND it seems Traxxas make a good model.also I can get spares easy.
So its really for flat running, grass/tarmac/gravel and bumps.
Don't want or need ballistic. if I can keep up with other 1/10th "buggies" made for flat,that will suit me fine,these are not comp racing buggies by the way, just fun running. I do know I want to use 3s for sure, ESC wise I will go for a suitable HW ,can not fault them so far. JUST not sure on motor KV needed for stock gearing.of course I can change pinion and spur if advice to suit transmission BUT as stated earlier the TRX4 is strong.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Hope some guys are still looking because I need to ask this? I was looking to go with a rolling chassis kit. Looks like there are 2 kit types. 1 as portal axles? I think the same goes with RTR,some have portals?
Because I would like to go with non crawling just flat terrain ,more speed based,do I go with portal axles or need to avoid big time?
Old 03-15-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzalene View Post
Hope some guys are still looking because I need to ask this? I was looking to go with a rolling chassis kit. Looks like there are 2 kit types. 1 as portal axles? I think the same goes with RTR,some have portals?
Because I would like to go with non crawling just flat terrain ,more speed based,do I go with portal axles or need to avoid big time?
Not sure if you're talking just about the TRX-4, but it comes exclusively with portals. If you don't want portals, you either need to go with a different vehicle or get a portal delete kit from SSD.
The portal delete kit is quite expensive though so if straight axles are your thing, it might be more worth it to get a different vehicle to mod, but it's your choice. I personally have a TRX-4 and it's an awesome rig, bulletproof and takes everything I throw at it. I'm running a sensorless brushless system at the moment with a 550 can 2700 kv motor, plenty of torque and a little faster than stock. I am thinking of going back to brushed though if only for the better crawling ability.

Last edited by Mundy64; 03-15-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Mundy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:41 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

You will not be able to keep up with anything made to handle speed, no way. Solid axles suck for that, the weight is too high and you'd have to get the kit with locking diffs or parts to unlock the diffs.
Not that you can't have fun - me and a couple of friends have a sort of a destruction derby with ours every Friday, 4 TRXs (setup for crawling) on a DIY track in an old quarry and we kick the crap out of them, very little breaks and even that only when it's freezing or below. Brushed motors are expendable at those speeds, though.

BUT, for the money you could get a much better rig for speed.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

Just go with a truggy? Even a Slash 4x4, if you want a Traxxas?

TRX4 is just not made to excel at that.
Solid axles don't handle bumps at speed well.
Portal axles will just make for an unnecessary high center of gravity, the car will just roll at speed. It's not like you need that much clearance when going 30 mph...
ovidiugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #12

rcreview youtube channel has a brushless trx6 thats pretty quick. Not sure if he did a full build video, but he does talk about it on a couple of shows.
KenB925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:45 AM   #13
RCC Addict

You can make the TRX-4 go as fast as a 1:10 buggy (~40mph) -- you could make any crawler go that fast if you really wanted to -- but the TRX-4's handling will be terrifyingly unstable. The center of gravity is way too high for that much speed, even with the diffs unlocked. Also, the suspension stiffness required to prevent massive chassis twist with solid axles also means the suspension is too stiff to absorb sharp impacts.

If you want a truck that can go fast but also has locking diffs and a shiftable transmission, I strongly recommend a Summit instead of a TRX-4. My Summit is geared-up slightly for about 25mph, which doesn't sound like much until you see it barreling towards you at full throttle, and it's great fun for truly all-around bashing. If the wide stance doesn't appeal to you, you can swap the Revo suspension arms for Slayer suspension arms to narrow the track significantly.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-19-2021 at 01:58 AM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I purchased a Maxx 4S with the wide kit rather than trying to make a crawler go fast. The Maxx rips and is a ton of fun.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #15

When I first saw the top speed numbers for crawlers in general, I had the feeling that it was too slow for me coming from a background of running nitro monsters and such (even a 70mph Traxxas Nitro 4Tec). After watching TONS of videos of them, they looked plenty fast...especially the TRX4.

I just picked up the TRX4 '79 Bronco today, and when I got her out in the parking lot....that "low" speed feels fast. Sure, I might be willing to make an attempt at MAYBE 5 more mph, but it's pretty unstable at its box stock top speed in high gear (about 10 or 11mph IIRC). She's got enough torque to wheelstand if you're not careful on launch too...the hitch receiver can attest to that. On top of that, the body and front bumper tells the tale of its "high speed" stability, or in this case the lack thereof.

Just my 2 cents as a crawler noob that loves speed.
Delta_Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:31 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

TRX4 speed project... Castle 3800 4 pole SC system and 2 speed trans. Up to about 40 mph in second gear with definitely more room to gear up. TRX axles swapped to open diff SCX10 axles for lower COG. Kyosho tires for now, though some wider 2.2 wheels and tires are ready to go. Will add some stability for sure. It rolls on pavement, but hooning around on gravel, it's a ton of fun.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

That looks sweet! Nice job
islandlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:50 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_Dart View Post
When I first saw the top speed numbers for crawlers in general, I had the feeling that it was too slow for me coming from a background of running nitro monsters and such (even a 70mph Traxxas Nitro 4Tec). After watching TONS of videos of them, they looked plenty fast...especially the TRX4.

I just picked up the TRX4 '79 Bronco today, and when I got her out in the parking lot....that "low" speed feels fast. Sure, I might be willing to make an attempt at MAYBE 5 more mph, but it's pretty unstable at its box stock top speed in high gear (about 10 or 11mph IIRC). She's got enough torque to wheelstand if you're not careful on launch too...the hitch receiver can attest to that. On top of that, the body and front bumper tells the tale of its "high speed" stability, or in this case the lack thereof.

Yeah, crawlers have enough going on that you don't need them to go fast to make them engaging to drive.
Old 01-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
TRX4 speed project... Castle 3800 4 pole SC system and 2 speed trans. Up to about 40 mph in second gear with definitely more room to gear up. TRX axles swapped to open diff SCX10 axles for lower COG. Kyosho tires for now, though some wider 2.2 wheels and tires are ready to go. Will add some stability for sure. It rolls on pavement, but hooning around on gravel, it's a ton of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_Dart View Post

This is my exact issue with being a noob crawler is that I started with bashing and have to get used to slower speeds. I have a 1/18 FMS Toyota LC80 and want it to go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muggystreetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:43 AM   #20
RCC Addict

1/18 is too small to really enjoy rock crawling. Get a 1/10-scale truck and you'll enjoy it more.

TRX-4, more speed biased use? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xtra speed cantilever system for trx-4 magic_yeti Traxxas TRX-4 5 04-17-2019 07:04 PM
TRX-4 single speed conversion and spools svt923 Traxxas TRX-4 33 01-26-2018 01:41 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 GPS speed test on 3S driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 3 05-30-2017 05:23 PM
Why are RC X vs RC Y Reviews so biased? davemud Newbie General 53 02-11-2014 11:04 AM