RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   TRX-4 build questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/623682-trx-4-build-questions.html)

CaptainCalm 02-24-2021 03:52 PM

TRX-4 build questions

So, I'm planning on buying a TRX-4 Defender. I've read that the servo isn't good and that if I change the servo I should really get a BEC. These are the applicable things that I have sitting around already from my other RC cars and helicopters:
  • An old unused Overlander UBEC (4.8/6v selectable, 3A continuous, burst 5A)) which I'm figuring should do the trick temporarily if I select 6V.
  • Gens Ace 2s 1800mah hardcase lipo (Deans)
  • Gens Ace 32 2200mah lipo (Deans)

My (wife approved) limit is £600 and given the above, my plan at present is to buy the following (prices that I know that I can get them for are in brackets):
  • TRX-4 Defender (£517.50)
  • Savox 2210SG (£76.49)
  • Male Deans to female Traxxas TRX connector (£2.59)
  • Rx bypass cable (£6.99)
  • Metal servo horn (£7)
Total: ~£610

For the moment, I'll not be taking it through any water, so waterproofing of the UBEC and bypass cable are not a concern right now. The reason why I'm planning on getting the bypass cable is so that I can use the UBEC to power the steering servo alone, the ESC will still power the RX and diff-lock servos. That way, when I get a waterproof Castle BEC or something, I can up the servo voltage to 7.4V whilst keeping the RX and diff lock servos at 6V.

On the servo front, I'd rather stay with Savox since I've been really pleased with them and not had one fail on me yet.

Here are my questions:
  1. Does the above sound reasonable?
  2. Given my current budget, have I missed anything, or is there anything that you'd do differently with good reason?
  3. I'm really concerned about the low voltage detection on the XL-5 ESC, what is the cutoff voltage? Does it auto-detect 2s/3s and cut off appropriately? Would you suggest I use a separate low voltage alarm?

rob5059 02-25-2021 03:08 AM

Re: TRX-4 build questions

This sounds like a solid plan. I personally would not by the adapter for the esc, I would chop the Traxxas connector off and solder on a dean. Maybe add an extra jst connector for the bec.

CaptainCalm 02-25-2021 03:51 AM

That's a fantastic idea. I think I'll do that.

Am I better getting a separate low voltage alarm?

stigno 02-25-2021 05:12 AM

No need for that, the esc should be set to detect low voltage, just check the settings when you get it :)

CaptainCalm 02-25-2021 05:26 AM

Perfect, thank you. :)

This is my first crawler. I've just ordered everything and can't wait for it to arrive. :)

stigno 02-25-2021 08:07 AM

I am sure you will have fun, welcome to this world "thumbsup"

CaptainCalm 02-26-2021 02:45 AM