Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TRX4 kingpin slop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #1

Default TRX4 kingpin slop

I have a TRX4 new out of the box, noticed front wheel slop. Is it normal for the kingpin bushing to be loose in the housing? I realize the kingpin is just a screw and not a 'pin' and it is loose in the bushing, but the bushing in the housing?
thanks
BrainBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: TRX4 kingpin slop

Hmmm, I didn't notice any excessive slop on mine, even after many hours in abrasive dust. Only up-down play.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninomaniac View Post
Hmmm, I didn't notice any excessive slop on mine, even after many hours in abrasive dust. Only up-down play.
I only witnessed this develop rapidly in my rig after converting to Amazon cheapo chubs, and weighted aluminum beadlocks (3plus oz at the time per wheel)...and i tend to forget my crawling goals bow and again and treat my sport 2spd/O.D. rig like a slash and give her HELL on some tree roots, etc....recently fixed the slop (for now) with a stainless steel kingping kit i found at the LHS, or maybe on tower or similar site? Lmao... Also added TRX Green Ano. Outer portals aft some fabbing to make em sandwich with my cheapo brass inners..lol

Also i found The factory bushings for the kingpins are like a soft brass or similar material so they deform easily and if they're not the perfect diameter they need to be from the get-go... You already have initial slop without even haven't been on the road I know this because I tried using some red cat streetcar bushings as a temporary fix and they were just sloppy. No matter what I did. So make sure the size of them is appropriate with a pair of calipers or similar. Also, u will see nothing but maybe the few shims i put on either side of bushing (they have no "collar")....i also feel strongly that the play comes from beat up end links, and servo slop/factory looseness. The angled rod end kit i added to my HC center steering link, kinda adds a hint of toe out up front, hut applies more outward pressure against bushings so what play/"tolerance" MAY exist, is minimized.

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
I only witnessed this develop rapidly in my rig after converting to Amazon cheapo chubs, and weighted aluminum beadlocks (3plus oz at the time per wheel)...and i tend to forget my crawling goals bow and again and treat my sport 2spd/O.D. rig like a slash and give her HELL on some tree roots, etc....recently fixed the slop (for now) with a stainless steel kingping kit i found at the LHS, or maybe on tower or similar site? Lmao... Also added TRX Green Ano. Outer portals aft some fabbing to make em sandwich with my cheapo brass inners..lol

Also i found The factory bushings for the kingpins are like a soft brass or similar material so they deform easily and if they're not the perfect diameter they need to be from the get-go... You already have initial slop without even haven't been on the road I know this because I tried using some red cat streetcar bushings as a temporary fix and they were just sloppy. No matter what I did. So make sure the size of them is appropriate with a pair of calipers or similar. Also, u will see nothing but maybe the few shims i put on either side of bushing (they have no "collar")....i also feel strongly that the play comes from beat up end links, and servo slop/factory looseness. The angled rod end kit i added to my HC center steering link, kinda adds a hint of toe out up front, hut applies more outward pressure against bushings so what play/"tolerance" MAY exist, is minimized.

It may be possible an LHS emergency happened and the truck got a brief surgery, kinda like that movie Face-Off w Nicholas Cage, and J Travolta? Lol

23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You can shim the vertical slop with 5mm I'd shims between the knuckle and c-hubs, trying to center the inner axle in its opening in the housing.

Locked up offers steel c-hubs and some brass bushings that are very snugly fitted and will wear will. Theoretically down the road the softer, inexpensive, bushing wears, and the steel chub will be reusable.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX4 kingpin slop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
******Give away! DLUX - No Slop Kingpin Bushings ****** Erik D_lux Axial Wraith 70 10-04-2012 07:59 PM
******Give away! DLUX - No Slop Kingpin Bushings ****** Erik D_lux Axial XR10 96 10-03-2012 10:11 PM
AX-10 Kingpin Bushings bondt Newbie General 6 02-19-2009 08:10 AM