Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lost Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #1

Default Lost Control

So I took my Defender out this morning to run in the rare snow that we get here in SC. After about 10 minutes it started losing control from the radio. It just did what it wanted to do. Any suggestions on what to do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SC Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

Default Re: Lost Control

So I brought it inside got it cleaned up and thought all was ok until it did it again. Full speed ahead on its own.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

check your radio batterys
kinda normal as the batterys go bad the cold might have helped them along
if its not the batterys check your reciver for standing water inside

Last edited by ferp420; 01-16-2022 at 07:17 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:22 AM   #4

Roger that. Will do and I’ll report back

Old 01-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
check your radio batterys
kinda normal as the batterys go bad the cold might have helped them along
if its not the batterys check your reciver for standing water inside

Changed batteries. Got vehicle dry and charged battery. Took back outside in snow and after about 10 mins again, same thing started happening

Old 01-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Doberman View Post
Changed batteries. Got vehicle dry and charged battery. Took back outside in snow and after about 10 mins again, same thing started happening

is the reciver inside of something is it posable it got wet again

also see if its a distance thing or not maybe your range got shortend some how

i had a radio that only had a range of abiut 20 ft another same brand same model worked over 300 ft

it waz fine but one day the range droped off for what ever reason

something else to look at is power to the reciver
the escs internal bec might be trying to go for a hike the extra load from the snow might be drawing to many amps

Last edited by ferp420; 01-16-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
is the reciver inside of something is it posable it got wet again

also see if its a distance thing or not maybe your range got shortend some how

i had a radio that only had a range of abiut 20 ft another same brand same model worked over 300 ft

it waz fine but one day the range droped off for what ever reason

something else to look at is power to the reciver
the escs internal bec might be trying to go for a hike the extra load from the snow might be drawing to many amps

Last night I put the pro scale light kit in along with some lights. Not the 8095 kit. Could this have some effect?

Old 01-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The time-tested solution for that is to undo anything you've recently done and see if that fixes it-- so unplug the lights and see if the behavior returns to normal. If the oddity is happening when you have the lights on, I would lean toward Rx brownout-- if you still have an XL5 in there, the internal BEC is WEAK. I know nothing about how you set anything up, but if you have the XL5 and ANY of the lights are on Rx power, that's probably it.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
The time-tested solution for that is to undo anything you've recently done and see if that fixes it-- so unplug the lights and see if the behavior returns to normal. If the oddity is happening when you have the lights on, I would lean toward Rx brownout-- if you still have an XL5 in there, the internal BEC is WEAK. I know nothing about how you set anything up, but if you have the XL5 and ANY of the lights are on Rx power, that's probably it.

Ok. So I un did everything I did yesterday with lights. Same result. When I turn off my radio, it stops. When I turn the radio back on, it starts right back up on its own. I am new at this by the way. The TRX4 is new as well so it does have the xl5 in it

Old 01-16-2022, 11:02 AM   #10

FYI I will be running an RC4WD WARN Winch and I have an ESS Dual + hooked up already. It has ran fine with the ess so far.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:14 AM   #11

This is my set up if that helps

Old 01-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

theres the problem right there if its electronic and it says traxxassss on it toss it i cant seem to get a single pack out of any traxxasss branded electronics
im kinda joking but not really rtrs have horrably cheap electronics and in my opinion traxxass is the worst

seeing as how the reciver is in a box it shouldent get wet enuff to be the problem so im leaning twards a brown out

do you have a small 2s battery pack laying around

Last edited by ferp420; 01-16-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

To be honest, the XL5 is the definition of "RTR junk." Plop in a $40 Hobbywing 1080WP and I'd wager everything is fixed. I put one in my buddy's Defender, and when he hit the first rock he said, "This feels really different. Like... I can control it now."
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
theres the problem right there if its electronic and it says traxxassss on it toss it i cant seem to get a single pack out of any traxxasss branded electronics
im kinda joking but not really rtrs have horrably cheap electronics and in my opinion traxxass is the worst

seeing as how the reciver is in a box it shouldent get wet enuff to be the problem so im leaning twards a brown out

do you have a small 2s battery pack laying around

I only have one battery. A Traxxas 7500 2s. So brings how I’m new to this, what’s a brown out?

Old 01-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #15

It’s weird too. After drying and going out for another run it does great great for about 15 mins then goes all to hell. Is that still indicative of xl5?

Old 01-16-2022, 08:40 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Simply put... a brown-out is basically a low voltage current running to the receiver from the esc. It could be caused by running thru snow... increasing temps and/ or creating too much voltage load. If this is your issue I'd opt to see if Traxxas will send you a new replacement ESC ( but I'd only do that if it's at NO cost to you... covered under warranty) or go ahead and get a new ESC like the HW wp1080. You could also get an external BEC but I don't think I'd spend more money on trying to save that XL5.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:16 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

How are your shift servos? Do they all work? I ask because I've seen dead servos cause weird problems, several times.

On a couple of different cars I've had micro servos electronically fail. When that happened, the vehicle always ran fine, until I tried to use that servo. Then the vehicle went haywire. Starting, stopping, basically freaking out all on its own.

I'd start your trouble shooting once you see the problem reoccur. Then disconnect each item that's plugged into the receiver, one at a time. If that doesn't narrow it down, cycle things, one at a time. Try steering, then throttle, then shift the 2 speed, then shift the diffentials and so on. Everything that uses power on your truck should be cycled off and on. If they can't be switched off and on, then just unplug them from power directly.

Like Ferp said, one or some of your components have died. What I described above should help you narrow down which component has either failed, or is drawing too much power and causing other things to fail.

Good luck! You'll find the answer to this soon enough. Keep poking at it and eventually the failure will show itself.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:20 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

i completly forgot about the micro servos the major failure point on the trx4
if your endpoints arent adjusted right on those servos they will overheat and cause all kinds of problems
that vary well could be the sorce of your brown out solution get rid of anything electronic that has traxxasss on it lol
i have never had a traxxass rtr so i dont know if the stock radio has end point adjustments for those channels or not i do know that traxxass atleast on the sport model im working on for a freind sucks when it comes to making adjustments
what ever the problem really is the solution is the same new radio new servos and new speed controler welcome to the wonderfull world of trax-ass
you can run with out those.servos like fallen sead just unplug them and replace ether just the bad servo or what ever till you can come up with new electronics

Last edited by ferp420; 01-17-2022 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:57 AM   #19

Servos appear to be working fine. Seems like this all started after I added the Pro Scale Light kit. I’m going to do a little more trouble shooting today and I’ll report back. BTW I had my first experience with Traxxas Tech Support today. Not very helpful.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

unplug everything except the steering servo and the esc see how it goes

dosent realy matter what problem is the fix is the same

there might be a bandaid for your problem if you do find it but eventualy your gona replace everything anyway

Lost Control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I lost my shiftgear control kokokrunch Newbie General 0 04-27-2018 06:05 PM
Winch piggyback control - Cheap, No CH needed / Proportional remote control CRAWLER75 Electronics 9 12-15-2017 06:03 PM
Lost touch - lost sircc forum billdconner Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 10-01-2014 02:42 PM
lost demonoid369 Electronics 0 02-07-2008 08:29 AM
Lost MGS511 Chit Chat 10 10-26-2006 04:47 PM