RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/)
-   -   Very Late to the Party, Emaxx Crawler (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-crawlers/628376-very-late-party-emaxx-crawler.html)

tn102 02-19-2022 03:36 PM

Very Late to the Party, Emaxx Crawler

So I have an emaxx that was built for speed, but it does a while ago when the ESC went up in smoke. I've been slowly getting back to finishing up some old projects I've had that have been laying around, or selling off the junk, and this emaxx is on the list.

I could just slap some new speedy electronics in it, and call it a day. However I don't have a crawler and figured what the heck, might as well see what I can do with it. It's not like I don't have a tmaxx I've converted to electric for speed.

Anyways I'm posting here to ask some questions and get some knowledge. Seems a lot of the build threads are older and missing pictures,. Makes it a bit hard to understand what's going on.

I know.my first step is lock the diffs. And drop to 4 shocks. I do believe I have some 110mm piggyback shocks over in storage, maybe those would work. What oil would I use? And I'd want to get some stuff springs, right?

I don't want to get too deep into this. It is the longer grey chassis one, but still has the 2 speed transmission and 2 motors. I do have an extra Hobbywing 880 ESC laying around I could use, but I'm assuming I want something else?

My thought was to relocate a 3s lipo up front and hack away the chassis where the batteries would have to gone, and maybe some other spots a bit to let that flex. Also need a good high torque servo (the ESC going took everything with it sadly)

I did see some lock the arms and build off that. I might do that though, but I'd definitely want to see some build threads on it first

MSB 02-24-2022 08:05 PM

Re: Very Late to the Party, Emaxx Crawler

It's never going to be a great crawler, similar to the summit, good at a lot, great at nothing... but they're fun trail runners, or at least mine was.

I had the short chassis version with the narrower arms. I narrowed some 3.2 wheels and stretched 2.2 crawler tires on it b/c at the time 3.2 tires were hard AF or huge. I want to say I ran slayer wheels on it as well for a bit, but can't 100% remember and finding them now is tough. Definitely lock the diffs and gear it down a bit, if all you want is crawling, drop a motor and open up some options. The OG Revo axles were a good upgrade when the stock ones twist, but now with the newer version, that's an even better option.

trying to remember what else.... the maxx picture thread still had quite a bit of the pics up last time I checked which should give you plenty of ideas. I personally wouldn't dump a ton of money in it, as plenty more options out there than when I did mine. But if you only have to buy a few things, it could put quite a few smiles on your face until you go all in or realize you want something else.

I traded mine off during a move and missed it so much I ended up building a crawler turned trail runner 4x4 slash as a mini me to the old e maxx (so much easier to work on and lighter)