Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Maxx Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Maxx Project

<--- Me, reading through this thread.

Nice work there, OSRC... Very impressive. Wondering if there will be a video of this sometime.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2022, 11:12 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Amazed it made it up them stairs! Your rear bulk has 0 Caster and that's what's helping with the steering in both forward and reverse.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:00 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Ok, that's pretty awesome. Brings back memories of the tmaxx days for sure. I shutter to think about how much money I've had tied up in those trucks back in 2002. Lol

Anyhow, this thing looks like a monster. Nice work.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:59 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Since all my 1/10 crawlers are built and ready to go, I ran out of things to work on! This has been a nice distraction. And while I expected the steering to be challenging, I was not expecting the power this thing has. A single huge can brushed motor on 3S.makes more than enough horses to push this around pretty good. I thought it was going to be woefully underpowered, but so far the motor is doing fine.

I've since picked up a Pro .15 nitro truck to restore as a nitro, and a second T-maxx roller for parts. The second T-maxx very possibly could become a "little brother" to this build since it's pretty beat, I'm thinking 12.3 WB so most crawler bodies fit, and that should open up some interesting possibilities. Rock racer? smaller trail truck? Simple basher? IDK. I do know that my SCX6 wheels and tires fit. Hmm... In any case, it's amazing how cheap and plentiful the chassis are, I spent less than $200 on 2 complete trucks.

In the meantime, keeping an eye out for a body of some kind. Decided not to hack up the 1/5 body. I was looking at Losi 1/5 buggy bodies, but they are salty price-wise. Usually my best finds come when I'm not really looking, so I'll keep it in the back of my mind and something will turn up.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:04 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Ok, that's pretty awesome. Brings back memories of the tmaxx days for sure. I shutter to think about how much money I've had tied up in those trucks back in 2002. Lol
It is absolutely a trip down memory lane. The Maxx is a fun platform no matter how you build it, and I beat the heck out of it for years. This is the 1999 Pro .15 nitro little brother I bought to restore, about 3/4 of the way done. Just added a few OG hop ups I had laying around... it's a work in progress. Can't wait to fire it up, I've got to read up on nitro tuning, it's been almost 12 years since I pulled a cord.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:52 AM   #26

Nitro is so fun while being so frustrating at the same time.
Sweetride95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Working on the C-maxx got me thinking about this one again. The biggest thing holding me up is a body. The Silverado body is out, just rubs too much and I don't want to hack it to pieces. I think a DBXL body/cage would look pretty badass on here, but for $349 it's way out of the budget. So I dug around and started playing with body parts, like a semi-sentient Frankenstein. Came up with a Proline Meglodon front half and the back cage of a Yeti Score. Looks a bit wonky but I think it's a start.

I had to narrow the chassis to fit the body, so I ripped everything out, cut the wings off, and added some speed holes. It's a huge slab of aluminum...some of the longer lines are a bit off, my up close vision is getting terrible- but at least all the holes are nice and square.

It is pretty badass with the 4WS...
Old 09-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Almost ready for a test run... Put the chassis components back in and countersunk all the screws on the bottom so it's nice and smooth. I cranked down on the steering collars (with pilers!) to get rid of the servo saver action. The springs are fully compressed, and it finally steers with authority. I'm running the 1/5 servos on 7.4v and they have tons of torque.

I had to swap out the AX2 trans, it just had way to much slack in it. The truck would roll almost a foot before engaging. I used an old Wraith trans with some steel gears inside. All the gears are 48p - not ideal, but at least they are all metal. There's a lot of reduction going on, so I might be able to get away with it.

Got the front bumper on - just a standard T-maxx front bumper. It fits the curved front end pretty good. No idea what I'm doing out back yet.

Did some trimming on the "body" and it seems to fit decent. I narrowed the cage about 1/4in so it fits better in the body. The spare tire mount works perfect to get into the battery. Just need to figure out a rear mount of some kind.

Old 09-26-2023, 09:32 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Nice body choice with the stance.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:10 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Threw some paint on the beast...

Combined the decals, though they are way hard to see... I officially call this the MegaloMaxx!

I mounted it at back with some simple zip ties. Since I can get back to the battery, no big deal. It's ready for some testing!
Old 09-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

That thing looks good it just flows the lines really came together after the paint
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I really like the forward bias look!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 12:20 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

AGAIN with the out-of-the-box engineering!

I seriously dig stuff like this, OSRC FTW as always...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:03 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Thanks all!

Weather forecast is sunny for Sunday, this big guy is going to get a workout! Taking bets on how it takes for something to implode. Both Maxx trucks are going to get some runtime hopefully. After I run a few "drive them all" resolution rigs of course. Going to be a fun day
Old 10-02-2023, 07:18 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Finally...test time. Wasn't planning to beat on it yet, just a light run to get a feel for it. This truck takes up a lot of space on the tailgate... Never thought about the on-off button on the ESC, it's way up there under the body. I used a stick to turn it on.

Stretching it's legs...I wanted an easy run, but had to put it on my usual test rock. Excellent breakover and balance, it walked all over my test rock as expected. I thought I'd be down on power, but it felt pretty good actually. It's geared about the same as a standard 1/10 crawler overall, tops out about 2x walking speed, and decent low speed resolution. Amazed that 570 motor can move this big beast with good power. I can get more for sure, but I'm not sure about overpowering it - I'm asking a lot of the driveline as is. I think it's just good enough.

Opens up some more lines due to its size.

Usual trails? No issues. Zero. Tires aren't even broken in. I will say I can see the driveshafts twisting in real time...sometimes a tire will have grip, and the other three start spinning and it take a second for the wheel with grip to pull. I see some HD CVD's in my future, those tires are hugs and heavy and the e-maxx shafts are on borrowed time.

Steering was pretty good. It was a bit vague at times, but the tires were always pointing where I wanted them to go. Didn't have any issues with control, but I think super precise crawling may not be its forte.

It seemed like an E-maxx suspension with what, 2.5" of travel would be enough, but it noticeably three wheeled here and there. Might be some custom shock towers and longer shocks in the future.

First break. Got about 1/2 a pack through before the steering link let go. No wonder, a tiny 3mm link with 1/5 servos and 8" tires? lol - no. Need to add some beef here for sure - easy fix.

All in all, a decent first run. Balance, power and steering were all very acceptable. Just need to fix the steering drag links and it'll be back out for a more challenging run.

And honestly, I hate the body. Need to come up with something else. I wonder, SCX6 Cliffhanger? Hmm...

The Maxx Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
e maxx project oldskoolshfty Traxxas Crawlers 1 11-26-2012 11:16 AM
my maxx project crawler Traxxas Crawlers 6 05-26-2005 12:49 PM
E- Maxx project. rckjeep Traxxas Crawlers 51 12-01-2004 12:39 AM