Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Maxx Project - Pt. 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2022, 09:01 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Maxx Project - Pt. 2

Nothing much to update... I ordered the StealthX and a set of Maximizer beadlocks with OG Savage tires on them... Hoping they are still usable, they are a bit more aggressive than the Mashers. I looked into the Exceed tires and they were perfect, however the shipping was $40. Hell no.

I am debating turning this truck into a backyard basher for winter, and building a new up one with 4WS - Call it C-Maxx 2.0. I picked up another OG roller in nearly mint condition for $100, it's just a matter of swapping the bulkheads and changing the gearing and battery placement and I can go rock the backyard. C-maxx 2.0 will be pretty much the same, just with 4WS and overdrive.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2022, 05:45 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Picked up another roller for $100 shipped....turns out it was a dirty though pretty much mint Pro15 truck. Now I'm at 4 of these chassis... I think the first step is to admit you have a problem.

Cut a new lower chassis, +10mm in WB to 312 and now have myself a low CG E-maxx to bash around the back yard.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:23 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Hey, you wouldn't happen to have another tire you could stick in-between the front and back, ie 6x6.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I do, I have a set from the roller I just picked up.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:24 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Picked up another roller for $100 shipped....turns out it was a dirty though pretty much mint Pro15 truck. Now I'm at 4 of these chassis... I think the first step is to admit you have a problem.
I don't see a problem with this.

I keep an eye out for an old tmaxx to mess around with in a similar way, but everything I find local they are looking for $300+ for trucks that look like junk.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:33 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I'm finding mine on ebay. Haven't paid more than $140 shipped for any of them yet. Locally, everyone wants $300+...

It pays to be patient... a set of 3.2 Maximizers with Savage tires popped up for $40. Glad I waited, this is the exact combo I would have bought if everything was still available, unreal. They came in with red nail polish on the rings and screw heads. Yuk... but a little sanding and dremel cleanup and they look good as new.

Changed the gearing a bit, 14/87 is about all I can get out of it. Should be fine and make up for the larger tires. I used a plastic Kinborough gear ilo steel and it's so much quieter. I like it. I have the Element trans on standby, haven't bothered to install it yet.

Got the basher finished... Haven't driven anything this fast in a while, holy cow. Working on a body for it, not much fits the low CG chassis. It's a freaking riot. It's on the edge of a wheely at pretty much any time, the suspension soaks it up though. Blew a rear U join on the transmission after 10 minutes, the Maxx shafts are fine, but the 'pede shafts that connect to the transmission outdrives just aren't going to cut it. Looking into options.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:55 AM   #27

Cool rig. Good job
Jbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:33 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas made output yokes in 5mm and 6mm. Just have to find the 5mm for the trans side.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:15 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Gotcha, I have the 5mm yokes, but they are too fat and rub the spur gear. I can make it work in the rear, but definitely need something smaller up front. Or a smaller spur gear.. Been on the shelf until i dig into it.

50d and sunny this weekend, and my knee feels good - I plan on taking the C-maxx out for shakedown run #2!
Old 01-29-2023, 08:21 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Finally took the C-Maxx out on a full on trail run around the mountain... the stock driveshafts were creaking and cracking but everything held up. It's a straight up beast in the woods.

Sidehills pretty good, it's way cool watching the suspension do its thing..

It's still leaf season, and occasionally I have to go around the trail where a tree fell - that's where this big beast shines - it just digs it's way through anything.

Climbed the hard side of this rock, and made the gap up top. Sometimes, size matters! My 1.9's would have never made this. Dropped the nose in and the big tires bit on the opposite rock and pulled it over. The Savage tires did fantastic for how old they are - great grip pretty much everywhere. The PL tires were great, but these were definitely an improvement.

Water and mud? No problem! I did take it easy here since the receiver is not protected from water - definitely needs a radio box, which was on my list and I forgot.

Just showing off.

That's the good news - bad news is I took a few tumbles when I got cocky and the rear of the body basically shattered. But other than that, it ran great - especially after I realized I had punch control set to 50%... it felt a bit gutless and I thought it was just trying to push a big truck with a crawler motor... but it was much, much better with full punch.

After wheeling this and the Telluride back to back, this one has a much higher COG... staring at the chassis, I think I can do better. Thinking it's time for C-Maxx 2.0.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:17 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Chassis 2.0 started... First attempt wheeled pretty good, the lack of steering was a bit of a pain, and when climbing it would lift the front wheels a little easier than I wanted. Looking at the chassis, I thought I could do better.

So....made a new lower plate out of steel, this one I made the entire lower plate 1 piece. took a lot of careful cutting, bending and trimming, but it's almost there.

Made room for 4WS. I found the steering rack in my parts bin, but I had to order some posts.

A little CAD (Cardboard aided design) for the new top deck, which will be 6061. There's an intermediate deck of aluminum on top of the steel, and I'll be mounting the battery and electronics on it. Upper deck will still hold the servos though. I couldn't mount my Stealth trans, I need the optional upper shaft to orient it the way I wanted, so sticking with the original for now.

This is the original, view from the side. Motor in the middle, and battery in front up on the top deck.

and now, with the motor moved forward and the battery on the lower plate. It's just mocked up for now, looks a little wonky but can already see the lower CG! Waiting on the steering posts and I'll start tying it all together.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:47 AM   #32
MSB
Quarry Creeper

LOL, this is throwback 15 years... my first "real" experiment with R/Cs was a emaxx "crawler." Not sure what width you're going for, but slayer wheels will give you narrowest possible with a 14mm hex
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:42 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

It is a bit of a throwback....though since I've never tried personally, having some fun.

My new years resolution was to get every one of my solid axle rigs out for at least 1 run this year. Some are getting quite dusty! Inbetween, side projects like this keep things interesting.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:27 AM   #34
MSB
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
It is a bit of a throwback....though since I've never tried personally, having some fun.

My new years resolution was to get every one of my solid axle rigs out for at least 1 run this year. Some are getting quite dusty! Inbetween, side projects like this keep things interesting.
I personally, totally dig it, so keep it up with the updates... Even though its almost boring, my telluride project is hands down the most fun in a r/c i've had in awhile
MSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:56 PM   #35

Awesome show. I love what you are doing. I went down the OG EMaxx hole a few years ago and even had enough parts to build the newer version. I had a lot of fun and a lot less money.. LOL
aiwaloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Got a wild hair and sat down and got this chassis back together. Cmaxx 2.0 is looking pretty good!

Compared to Cmaxx 1.0, the motor is moved forwards quite a bit, the battery has been moved from the upper to the plate, and 4WS has been added.

COG should be much lower than before, everything is tucked pretty low. Servos are the highest point in the chassis

Forgive the wiring mess, setting up the 4WS with the trusty hacked GT3B.

I have a bit of rub on the chassis with the driveshaft. Really no way to trim it, just going to have to remove the top plate and do some filing. :( Hopefully the last time I have to take it off!
Old 06-30-2023, 07:25 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Got the top deck shaved where it needed to be and all is working smoothly now. Electronics are re-mounted and tires are back on. I used a Tamiya TT02 box for the receiver for a bit of water protection. The entire top deck lifts off after removing some screws and all the electronics go with it. Pretty pleased with how it all came together.

Sits a bit high still, I'll adjust once I get the body on. Still the motor and batteries are well below the top of the tires - heck, the servos don't even reach to top. Should have a very good COG. Definitely feels good on the bench.

4WS should make a huge difference in maneuverability. The steering was by for the worst part of this build - it's not going to be super agile, but it should turn twice as much as before. I'll take it!

JConcepts Gozer body fell onto the chassis. I like it, but it doesn't sit as low as I would like. Those huge shock towers really limit the body choices... I'm debating cutting some new towers that are a bit more compact, should be pretty easy as some flat 3mm plates will do. I hate to lose all that Maxx suspension travel though. I'll have to think about it.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:59 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

What about doing a cantilever setup but keep all the travel? Maybe lay the shocks down similar to the way traxxas did the summits?
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:48 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure how I'd adopt that to the Maxx chassis.. I do have an old Revo chassis here. Hmmm...

I'm thinking shorter, 90-100mm shocks and just angle them in a bit more to keep the travel.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:33 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Spent some time in the shop and got some new shock towers cut out. 3.5mm aluminum, should be plenty strong. Slightly lower and with narrower mounting points than stock

I decided to go single shock for various reasons... I needed some HD 1/8 scale springs, of which I have pretty much none. These were the heaviest I had and it wasn't nearly enough.

So after digging around, I came across some springs from the old Proline powerstroke kit I bought way back in 2005ish or so. After a lot of digging, I found all 8 springs and the joiners that go with them. Can't believe I still have them after 18+ years! Plenty stiff since they were designed to hold up with just 1 spring set per corner. Put them on the 3Racing shocks filled with 60wt oil and it worked out perfect! Nice and plush, and a bit more travel with the shocks laid down a bit.

Just need to fudge up some body mounts.

Last edited by OSRC; 07-07-2023 at 07:38 AM.

The Maxx Project - Pt. 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Maxx Project OSRC Traxxas Crawlers 34 10-02-2023 07:18 AM
my maxx project crawler Traxxas Crawlers 6 05-26-2005 12:49 PM
E- Maxx project. rckjeep Traxxas Crawlers 51 12-01-2004 12:39 AM