Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My crawler project has begun... *pics*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

ive just be convinced to keep my maxx and make a crawler out of it . your crawler is so sick man . goodjob
crunk crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #22

haha! thats sweet man, im glad you decided to join the dark side and im also glad that you guys like my truck so much! i totally didn't expect this kind of reaction. but i really have to give the credit to you guys, this forum is awsome and if it weren't for it then this wouldn't of ever happened... THANKS GUYS!

little bit of an update for ya guys, I was fiddling with my shocks tonight becuase i knew there was some travel left in them and it didn't want to go. i realized that the upper part of the shock body was binding on the chassis and full twist. so i put a few nuts in there to space it out and i gained a full inch of travel from the table to the bottom of the tire. i'm now pushing 9" of travel with the narrow rims still

well, thats it for now... BACK TO WORK! i think im going to go cut the alluminum tubes and get them on the links. im not sure if i will finish that tonight or not.

tomorrow's schedule: finish links, run to ace hardware for more screws, do servo mounts

I dont have to work saturday so i'll be a busy lil guy

btw ill try to get a pic up later of the articulation and whatever links i finish, or i may just wait till tomorrow

later!
-offroad
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #23

Alright i couldn't wait, and i worked really quickly so i could do this

Here are the finished links, you can also barely see the spacers i added for the shocks.

Over head shot....

Articulation pic!!! thats 9" to the center of the tire. and again i still gotta mount my 1.5" offset rims on it.

ENJOY! (I know I am! hahaha)
-offroad
Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

now get out and drive it! have you taking it out on any rocks yet?!
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #25

nah not yet :(

I got my front steering servo mounts made and mounted, i also put the servo in there. i gotta make the rear mount yet. I am also waiting on my LHS to get some integy 55T motors in. their on back order i guess.

maybe ill post some pictures of my servo mounts later. i dont think anybody has ever done this before, its definitely a first. stay tuned...

later
-offroad
Old 03-07-2005, 01:22 AM   #26

Update: today i ordered a multiplex 600 and a gd-600 from tower.. should be here mid to late this week

i cant wait... I only have one question about the gd 600... if you wanted to run a 3:1 gear ratio it says to use a 15t pinion, but do you also need to run a 15 at the other end that connects with the spur? or can it stay like 18 for instance?

thanks for any help.
-offroad
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Nice looking maxx!

If you use a 18t pinion and 72t spur that'll give you about 94:1 final gear ratio if you lock out 1st gear. If you lock it in 2nd that's about 59:1. I would try 94:1. With your tires it'll be nice and slow but still have a little wheel speed for when you need it. About as fast as walking speed. Give it a shot and if its still not slow enough then just use a smaller pinion.

On mine I have a servo to shift gears and it comes in handy alot. Might try that if your chassis can accept it.

Keep up the good work
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Looks great man , i should come over there and take it for a spin once you get it done
3L3ectricracer135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:41 AM   #29

if thats you logan, fat chance ... i've seen the way you drive

anyway im kinda twidlin my thumbs until i get my motor and gd-600 in. (late this week) so im thinkin about tires right now. i think im going to mod my savage tires and run them on some offset wheels.

tell me what you guys think of my cut patterns.

WHICH DO YOU LIKE BETTER?
A)

or

B)

personally i kinda like B better but i thought i would pass it by you guys.

LATER
-offroad

OH, one more thing anybody got some good suggestion for a name for this thing?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #30

OR C)

that would be narrowing the tire FYI
Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

definetely a . where are the batteries or battery going to be mounted ?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:32 AM   #32

Exclamation Big Update 3/13

Alright guys, its been a while since i posted last.. i've got a pretty major update here.. i dont really want to explain it all in this part. Eveything i have done will be written above each picture, so here goes...

Okay first off here was how i began my revolutionary steering servo mount . i cut down the side of the bulk head to add a flat spot. (right side)

Here is the bracket in place, there is a screw going through to the upper a-arm and the bulk head where the bumper mounted.

Here is the servo in place, i just had to cut off on part of the angled alluminum as you can see.

nice completed picture of the servo mounts. *note* still have to do the rear.

a lot of you should drool over this picture, i know i did! introducing...

*drum roll*

NEW LST'S AND WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!1one!!1!

a little eye candy for ya!

that day was a GREAT day, got new wheels and tires and my package with my motor and gd-600 came!

Clearance shot.

Got the steering completed.

Nice gut shot, ALMOST DONE!!!!! still needs receiver and rx pack installed.
*note the battery mount

Here is a better shot of my battery mount. I cut the battery tray out of the original chassis and drilled two holes in the side of the chassis and slid the 2 pegs for the battery bar to clip to through the chassis and it's held in by body clips.

well thats it for now, im REALLY hoping to test drive it tomorrow. It won't be final but it will be drivable. I still need to do a rear steering setup if i want to, then locktite the gears, glue the tires, and that should be it.

quick question, do you guys think i should run the LST foams or run a maxx size foam so the tire will run around like its "flat"?

let me know what you guys think!

later
-offroad

Last edited by offroad; 03-14-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:45 AM   #33

Quick dimension rundown...

-Wheel Base: 16"
-Ground Clearance: 4.75"
-Diff Clearance: 3.75"
-Over-all Length: 23"
-Width: 16"
-Travel at Full Twist: ~11" to the sidewall (12" to the center of the tire)

Im pretty happy with those numbers

later,
-offroad
Old 03-14-2005, 01:17 AM   #34
Colt Python/SR9c

better upgrade to CVD's and revo driveshafts

i run my lst's with stock foams and they conform just fine
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:53 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Good idea for the battery mount!
gemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #36

this thread has given me hope of actually being able to build a crawler!! YAY! Time to start ripping apart the old t-maxx for the diffs and all that good stuff!!
thumpin15s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #37

Twisted, I have CVD's in the rear and 2.5's in the front im not really worried about the drivelines because there isn't as much torque put on them as the axles. but if i start bustin stuff then i will upgrade for sure. I have learned my lesson about fighting the stock axles. if it busts once it'll do it again, so upgrade

gemiller, thanks! i like it a lot too.. if you do this make sure you try to put it on the side that the torque makes lift so you can weight it down.

thumpin, im glad i could convince you. I think i got a pretty good selection of detailed pictures to help you. if you got questions feel free to ask.

later
-offroad
Old 03-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

are you using duel batterys ? and i cant really tell is that an evx ?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 PM   #39

im only using one battery crunk, and yes that is an EVX i did the one battery mod to it.

After school today im going to kinda check over it and get it ready for its test run. i just need to solder up the motor and some capacitors to it and then it'll be movin!!! I CANT WAIT!!

once i know it moves and im satisfied with the gears then i will locktite all the grub screws and then i need to glue the tires.

BTW, Twisted, i think i might just run the LST foams they seem really soft. but my rims don't have any vent holes in them. should i drill them before i glue? or leave it? and what size drill bit is good?

cya
-offroad
Old 03-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

cool are you going to be doing any mudding with it . it looks as if it will be a nice mud beast