Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Maxx Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Maxx Crawler

*Special thanks to mxracer525 for the dimensions and idea for the torsion build. Thanks again man! *

This is my first purpose built rock crawler. This is going to keep me addicted, going slow is too much fun.

The axles are from my first gen Emaxx. I locked them out with threaded rod and Revo rod ends. All of the extra metal is aluminum. I used Integy spools to lock the diffs aswell. The electronics are from my micro, and Im using that radio because I can control the steering rate. The transmission is from my old Rustler and last but not least the revo axles. I am using an Integy 55turn "rock crawler" motor for the power plant, and the battery is a 3300 venom somthin or other.

My steering isn't normally what you would see I guess. I used two lower end servos to push each tire individually instead of together. This allows one tire to move if one gets hung up, allowing me control still if one is blocked by a rock. It connects to the receiver with a Y- harness.

I used the A-arm screw pin through one eyelet of the servo and drilled and put in a machine screw into the arm to secure it. I then put a zip tie around each servo to prevent side to side movement and possible breakage of the servo mounts.

To secure the receiver, esc, and battery i used these velcro straps from home depot I found today. The speedo connects to the side of the tranny keeping it out of the way.

Here is how I mounted the tranny to the chassis.

... and of course the flex shots...

Last edited by ian48065; 05-06-2007 at 07:02 PM.
ian48065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

lookin good, you got yours together faster than i did. i like how you offseted that tranny to keep the shafts from rubbin, i think thats wat i'll do next, also if you can move that plate under the tranny on top of the backbone instead of underneath, your going to get hung up a lot there, atleast i did until i made my skid. slick setup with the steering, bet u got plenty of torque to turn them wheels. looks good tho man, get some action or video shots of it, i wanna see n here how it performs.
mxracer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

thanks alot, the servos are actually really low end ones but seem to work fine. I'm going to take a vid tomorrow when my buddy comes over to hold the camera. I'll move the tranny plate to above the back bone and see if i get hung up less.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

is that a 60/40 setup or are my eyes playin games, unless thats just how the tranny is, cuz one shaft is normal and other is extended a lil more, wats the wb?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I think you could call it that? i just wanted more weight up front so i moved the tranny farther up
Old 05-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yea thats wat i did on my last build, seemed to help some, but not a huge difference, i just might try it on this torsion of mine.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

go for it. take any ideas you want

i am going to go 4 wheel steering all the time soon, exact set up on the back
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

wow man i really like that so much , am going to do the same thing but use a tmaxx tranny, but really nice!!!, and what is the wheel base?
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

the actual "stick" or backbone is 15 inches exact. I'll measure tomorrow or tonight axles nut to axle nut for ya thanks for the comments
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I have the body mounted

here are some shots.

The body mounts with velcro strip things from home depot, and yes it holds just fine