Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Servo Mounting made Easy!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.
Default Servo Mounting made Easy!!

I received a private message about how I went about mounting my servos on MaxxMasher and I thought I'd share it with everyone. Maybe it's not the best but I'm new to crawling and it's working well for me so far.:-P

Hey my mount for the servo couldn't be more simple,
really. What I used is 6-32 threaded bulk rod from Lowe's. I used 6-32 lock nuts at either end to secure them. I used hollow bulk aluminum rods to cover the rods and give the ears of the servo some support. I used bulk 90 degree angle aluminum from Lowe's for the mounting backet. Don't forget the washers! What you wanna do is :
1. cut the rods to length (I used a dremel & reinforced cutting wheel.
2. Use a grinding wheel or file to bevel both ends of the rod so you can get the nuts started.
3. Use locking pliers to hold the rod and carefully start the nut on each end (wind in and out several times to make sure each will start easily once you start to mount the servo)
4. Put blue locktite on the inside ends of the rods and put the nuts on and let them set for a little bit.
5. Cut your bracket to length and drill holes so you can mount it to the top of the bulkheads. (you will have to cut off the piece that the bumper mounts to so your bracket will lay flat)
6. Be sure to countersink your holes and use flathead allen traxxas screws for everything. You want everything to be as flat and tight as possible.
7. Now that you have the bracket mounted, put your servo where you want it. Hold the alum. pieces between the ears and the bracket and slide in the threaded rod.
8. get everything perfect and put locktite on the rod end and put on the nut. The other end should be strong enough so you can sinch it all tight.
9. ** You may have to leave one rod bare with no alum. cover because of where the wire leads come out of the servo. I was fine with Traxxas servos, but when I upgraded to all metal high torque servos, I had to do this. ( do it to the bottom one so no one will notice!) No big deal. Or you could cut a notch out. Either way.
I pretty much used this same method to make all of the links for my truck as well. I just used a drill to carefully ream out turnbuckle ends to make the 6-32 rod fit them. Who needs a CAD machine?? Just think things through before you do something that can't be undone easily. Look at a lot of threads and get a plan together. I'm still working on mine and making changes almost every time I run it!! Experience is the best teacher! Good luck and keep me posted. Questions? Just ask!

MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #2

looks good dude!
curdogexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hey Curdogexpress,
We were practically neighbors at one time! My Dad was born and raised in Athens and I lived there a short time. I went to school at HTC in Nelsonville and spent a few wild weekends with some housemates who were from Chilicolthe! Whew, those were the good old days!! Anyways, thanks for the kind words! ROCK ON, ON ROCKS!!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Hey thanks man for the idea. im using it to make my mount for my rear steering.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hey Mikekx65,
If you have any questions PM me. Good luck, they're working good for me. I use them to hold Tower Pro MG995's and they have a ton of torque.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well i took like half your idea. I used long bolts instead of all thread....works like a charm.
Mikekx65 is offline   Reply With Quote