Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Custom Maxx axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #1

Default Custom Maxx axles

I've been tinkering with a design for my axles, and could use some advice.

I picked up some Maxx diff's, steering knuckles and slider shafts- and was planning on making a straight axle using PVC. (used the same 3/4" on a custom "powerwheels" project for the kids- stout stuff, pic here http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...Picture287.jpg )

I've read alot of the write ups on Maxx axles, but what Im wondering about is the steering knuckle setup. Wouldnt it be alot better to set it up where the pivot of the u-joint is directly inline with the pivot of the steering knuckle? It'd take a bit of work to get them set up this way, but I'd think it would work better. What do you guys think- is it worth the effort to modify the knuckles or not? I've seen alot of people using the stock maxx knuckles, so it must work fine, but I dont care much for the way the axleshafts have to move when the knuckle turns.
binfordw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

if you have the time, ideas, and resources to accomplish it i say do it. it will reduce your drivetrain bind and wear. you can use any knuckle you want with the maxx diffs as long as you can get the right bearing/ shaft combination to fit.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

if you do it with PVC put some 30* angels in there so you have a lot of diff clearance, the hole point to a maxx crawler is the diff clearance (thats what i think).

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #4

Thats personal preference.

I dont want a freakish looking crawler. Sure It wont be as capable, but I'd rather make it as realistic looking as possible. I've considered angling the shafts, but I havent decided yet.

As far as the realistic part goes, its already getting out of control. The maxx diff parts, axles and knuckles are a bit bigger than I thought, so my axle width is going to be alot wider than I was planning on. Looks like this crawler will have to use a "realistic" tube frame and Maxx sized tires instead of a body and 2.2's.

I wanted to make a crawler that used 2.2 tires, and a 1/10th scale body. But Its just not looking possible with these parts.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

if you want scale get a tlt, they are 80$. making a maxx scale will be really hard.

colin
Maxx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
2006 2.2 National Champ

Moved to Maxx Crawlers.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:23 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by binfordw

I wanted to make a crawler that used 2.2 tires, and a 1/10th scale body. But Its just not looking possible with these parts.

dont say that man! anything is possible! i guess i will just have to finish my 2.2 pvc crawler quick. you got me going on the idea, and its totally possible.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #8

I just dont see it happening. The bodies I was wanting to use are just too narrow to look right with the axle width I'd end up with using maxx parts. If I made the axles narrow enough to fit a 1/10 body, the diff and tubes would look way too big, and I'd have crappy clearance with 2.2 tires. The bigger tires would give more clearance, but would look too monster truck on a 1/10 body- I think anyway.