Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Any one built a roll cage using the stock Maxx chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Any one built a roll cage using the stock Maxx chassis?

I was thinking about my Maxx project lately. (its basically just a stock Emaxx with a ABS plastic Hummer H2.) I ran across the Integy roll cage for the Maxx trucks and i kind of like those and it would be cheaper to just buy one, but creatively, they are lacking a lot. So i was thinking, maybe i could make one for my truck. Not a total tube chassis, but more of a hybrid chassis, use the stock chassis and make a tubular top half. So has anyone thought of or even built a roll cage type of setup for the Maxx trucks? I was also wondering, what size piping would i have to use ? Im thinking 3/16 brake line might be too weak since the truck is kind of heavy.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've made a few Rollcage/bodies
3906 body

3905 body

Wheely King body

Traxxas SRB ... Stadium Racing Buggy

Caterham Body

SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Those looks pretty good actually! For the maxx truck you did, how did you attach it to the chassis itself? And what size piping did you use?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks
It's made out of 8mm steel tube and mounts just like the standard body
The rest of them are made of 6mm tube, either stainless or hydraulic steel tube

Morten
Old 10-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Not too sure what a emaxx chassis is like but I built a few exo cages for my old t maxx and just attached them to the body.

I've built a ton of cages for my summit and axial as well. I usually use 1/8 and 3/16" solid steel rod. I like the idea of a hybrid style, half body half cage type deal. Post up when you come up with something.
m4rK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well my intentions are to have no body at all. Just the cage attached to the chassis itself (if that makes sense.) I had a hard body to put on my Emaxx, but with the front and rear bumpers in the way, i figured i would make something a little bit more creative without make a full blown tube chassis. Figured the stock chassis is there, so thats half the work done for me. SnoopMAxx has the right idea, thats about what i want to do, but make them more sleek almost Revo body like. Could you braze solid rod just like you can with brake line? I want to cut down on weight, but not loose to much strength.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yes you can brace solid rod

go for it
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Heres a few I built for my summit. They are pretty sleek and laid back. I just attached these to my body posts. Welded it with a 220V welder and mixed gas..

Old 10-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
I was thinking about my Maxx project lately. (its basically just a stock Emaxx with a ABS plastic Hummer H2.) I ran across the Integy roll cage for the Maxx trucks and i kind of like those and it would be cheaper to just buy one, but creatively, they are lacking a lot. So i was thinking, maybe i could make one for my truck. Not a total tube chassis, but more of a hybrid chassis, use the stock chassis and make a tubular top half. So has anyone thought of or even built a roll cage type of setup for the Maxx trucks? I was also wondering, what size piping would i have to use ? Im thinking 3/16 brake line might be too weak since the truck is kind of heavy.
Here a cage , that I'd bought a few years ago...
Guy in the UK build's them to order... no two are ever the same..

attaches to the body post's .. it's been bashed ,crashed ,rolled , you name it, it's been through it and held up very well.....
4mm steel bar...

It's up for sale on a UK forum...

Sean...

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Those are some nice looking cages. M4rk, yours are exactly what im thinking about doing. Im doing another 2.2 build, but when i get that one done, im going to jump on my Maxx build. Now, could i bend the solid rod by hand without heating it first? I do plan on using 3/16 brake line, but if solid rod is better, i`ll use that.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Those are some nice looking cages. M4rk, yours are exactly what im thinking about doing. Im doing another 2.2 build, but when i get that one done, im going to jump on my Maxx build. Now, could i bend the solid rod by hand without heating it first? I do plan on using 3/16 brake line, but if solid rod is better, i`ll use that.

Solid rod is way better and stronger...

Best getting a bending tool as well..

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, you will find solid rod much stronger than brake line! I have a bunch of stuff I do bends with. I have some holes in my workbench, a vice, holes drilled in pipe, all kinds of stuff to get different radius'. You just have to get creative. But you shouldnt have to heat it up...
heres another one I did using a bunch of smaller scraps.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

That's very impressive work

What welder do you use ?

Morten
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. I use a hobart 187 220v welder with mix gas. Its a lot more welder than you need for this but I use it for everything.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thats not bad for just scrap pieces m4rk!!! I havent been able to get the solid rod but i have been experimenting with straws, since i really dont know what i want it to look. M4rk, i hope you dont mind, ive looked at your Eva chassis for your Summit and it looked just awesome!, so i took some styling ideas from your Summit chassis and kind of made my own tube chassis together. I was kind of bored Saturday night, so i thought i would get a head start on figuring out how my tube chassis would look......heres some pics...let me know what you guys think so far.

This is just a rough idea on how i want it to look. Im going to tinker with it some more this weekend. I might start building it next weekend. M4rk, what size solid rod did you use? Would 3/16 be a good size or should i go one size larger and where did you get your solid rod at...just Home Depot or Lowes?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Hey, that looks pretty cool! Yeah, lowes or depot will have it and 3/16 seems to work well with 1/8 for small cross peices. I found if you go much bigger on the solid rod it does get pretty hard to bend..
I took alot of ideas from the coleworx buggys. This is a good site for ideas. Good luck
Ricky B Photography - Offroad and Automotive Photography : Rig Features
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a lot for that website. Im going to bookmark that for future reference I actually had some 3/16 solid rod (i didnt even know i had it.) from another project and i tried to bend it with my brake line bender and it does bend, but it takes a little bit of elbow grease to do it but it does bend the tab that the end of the rod would sit on so you can bend the rest of the rod, so i might look into something a bit stronger. But it does seem like it will be easy to work with just like 3/16 brake line is. I do appreciate the help m4rk! Your one of many reasons why i like this site!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I finally got around to getting some work done on my Emaxx. Now, ill tell you all this, its not the best work in the world. Matter of fact, im not exactly happy with it, but its close enough and its not really done yet. ive kind of changed my design some what as of was biulding my chassis since some of the bends and what not were a little challenging. But i think its alright looking for right now. Im thinking im going to bend up more curved pieces and make it look a little bit better. Well i wanted to share my progress up till today. I dont have much time to work on this, i wish i did though because of work. So heres the chassis.....enjoy the pics. Any suggestions is welcomed.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I think it looks really promising

Personally, I would have lowered the front bodymount, other then that ..great job mate

Morten
Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Yea, i kind of regret not lowering the front body mount and cutting the front as short as i did, but i might change that some how one day. But thanx for the kind words Snoop! I hope to get the chassis atleast done this holiday weekend since i`ll have a lot of time to finish it. Any more suggestions/ideas are definitely welcomed!