Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Just got an emaxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Just got an emaxx

Hey guys I just got an emaxx. I'm not really wanting a crawler just more of a bashing truck. Is a 3906 model. The dual motors were horrible and I swapped them out for a Tazer 2800kv and an MMP esc. Much better and I have already popped a half shaft on the rear. What MIP half shaft parts can I buy for this one? Will tmaxx half shafts work? How do you think a 3100kv ROC412 would work? It's either that of a 3300 pro4. Also does a 42mm 1/8 motor fit without mods?

I know its not a crawler but it will see trail time and some hills.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just got an emaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
Hey guys I just got an emaxx. I'm not really wanting a crawler just more of a bashing truck. Is a 3906 model. The dual motors were horrible and I swapped them out for a Tazer 2800kv and an MMP esc. Much better and I have already popped a half shaft on the rear. What MIP half shaft parts can I buy for this one? Will tmaxx half shafts work? How do you think a 3100kv ROC412 would work? It's either that of a 3300 pro4. Also does a 42mm 1/8 motor fit without mods?

I know its not a crawler but it will see trail time and some hills.
Most people run the 8 scale motors. The Tekin ROC 3100 and Pro4 3300kv will push the truck but you will have to watch your temps closely. Traxxas sells steal drive shafts, that's what I recommend. As far as the 42mm motors, yes they will fit however it will depend on your gearing because the smaller the pinion the closer the motor will be to the transmission housing.

My recommendations to you... MMP is fine, but get an 1/8 motor. The 540/550 cans will eventually kill themselves. I bought a 1/8 Turnigy motor 2100kv off hobbyking for $40 shipped. Go that route something 42x68 or 40x74 dimensions. Also, you'll want to stay around 2650kv or lower.
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thank you for responding. I ordered the turnigy 1/8 2100kv sensored motor last night. The Tazer 2800 does get hot after a few minutes. I bought an 18t and a 20t pinion so hopefully it will let it all fit together. I already popped a half shaft with the 2800 on 4S and I have read the idler gear is weak as well, most of my running will be in 1st gear though so hopefully I'll be ok on that for a while. Yeah the traxxas steel driveshafts will soon be ordered once I kill all the plastic stuff.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the half shafts are weak. You can get the eBay special cvd's or upgrade to the newer style axles. To do that upgrade you will need the a arms and hubs though also. Its a great upgrade though because it also widens the truck making it more stable.

As for the idler gear, I would just wait until it fails. For now your failure points are the shafts so those should go before the gear does. I don't remember where to buy the gear but I'm sure a quick search will bring it up. Good luck with everything! Let me know if you have other questions.

BTW if you have clearance issues with the motor all you'll have to do is sand or cut down the fins closest to the transmission. Won't be a big ordeal. Your gearing choices are spot on though so you probably be OK.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Man this thing is already wider then it is long LOL!!! I'll probably do the ebay specials or the traxxas parts that just go in there. I'm having fun with it and I'll take it easy on the ole Tazer 2800 then. I it has an 18T pinion on it. I have a 16T I may put on it to ease up the load a bit. I like doing slap wheelies with it. Don't really want to do standing flips or any of that.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah it is pretty wide. Just make sure when your looking that you ensure they fit the old tmaxx or 3906 Emaxx. They have a kit that replaces everything or you can just get the axles alone. Good idea doing the 16t for now. Will just help make sure you don't burn up the electronics.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ok well I've had a 1/8 scale brushless on it for a while now. Steel idler gears on both 1st and 2nd gear and steel driveline everywhere. I think the diffs need work now as I can hear a skip when landing under some throttle or full throttle across rough terrain. It does it in either direction. I inspected the trans gears after my swap and they are perfect. Anyways I got a nice Summit and immediately swapped motors and esc's. So with the Titan 775 in the emaxx along with the evx2 I'm very impressed! The thing runs very well and the evx feels pretty darn smooth too! I tell you one thing the emaxx jumps so much better then the summit. The only thing the summit has over it is size and lockers.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

now its my Emaxx now that Joe has moved on to Summits. I haven't had a chance to run it with what he did to it.. most likely it will fall apart on its maiden trip after being abused by Joe! lol
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

my summit is going to smoke that thing

I'm the Joe he is referring to.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Joe Dirt ... Joe Blow .. Joe the RC Ho... all Joe's go to FCB... lol
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

LoL!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I run the Traxxas steal center shafts in my E-Maxx, they are'nt too expensive and work great, no issues so far. I'm running a HW 150a ESC with a Team C 1900kv motor, Proline Trenchers, Proline wheels, Proline F250 body, Traxxas Aluminum shocks. The thing is insane on 6s!

HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

that's a good looking truck!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #14

ANy ideas for converting a Tmaxx to electric?
rockdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdwg View Post
ANy ideas for converting a Tmaxx to electric?
Pretty sure they make a conversion kit now.
I think I remember seeing one out there somewhere .
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Kershaw was planning on offering a T-maxx electric conversion kit, last I talked to him this summer, he was having a issues with his gear vendor and the release was gonna be delayed.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #17

YEah I bought some stuff already single speed and a reverse lockout or something like that just have to get around to pulling tranny and do the work on my Tmaxx
rockdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdwg View Post
YEah I bought some stuff already single speed and a reverse lockout or something like that just have to get around to pulling tranny and do the work on my Tmaxx
I did the same thing, (started to convert my Tmaxx) then I found the Emaxx trans and chassis, it's so much easier as far as battery placement / weight distribution and the Emaxx BL trans is so much stronger. I put my converted/ rebuilt Tmaxx trans and chassis in my spare parts bin and built the E-Maxx instead.

So, half the parts on my E-maxx are actually Tmaxx 3.3 parts, I'm very happy I went with the Emaxx trans and chassis instead of messing around with the Tmaxx one.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

looks nice stock, i cant hardly remember what mine used to look like.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote

Just got an emaxx - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emaxx???? crawlinfreak Newbie General 8 01-20-2007 10:48 PM