Thread: Went with the Telluride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #61
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Went with the Telluride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
What the Telluride has over the Wraith is a shorter Wheelbase to make sharper, tighter turns. With my Wraith on the sharp, tight turns I usually have to make a 3 point turn or more. There's a guy at the crawler course with a Dingo that can make some SHARP turns. Like the Telly, The Dingo has a 11" wheelbase. The Wraith has more ground clearance though. I haven't come acrossed a obstacle yet that the Wraith can't climb up and over. I can't wait to get my Telly and drive the same course and lines as the Wraith to see what it can do!!

Hey Wyd........where's those pics ?
I have pics but need to be on my work computer to get them posted. Monday morning I will have them up.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #62
wyd
Rock Crawler

Max-D here you go. Tire Comparison pics. Its only about 5mm or so per side.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #63
wyd
Rock Crawler

I took my Telluride to the club this weekend for a little crawling action. For those who don't know mine is the one with the blue bead locks on with the front wheel up in the air. Can't wait til I get my PitBull tires this week and get them mounted up. Hope to get them on Wed evening when I work at the shop next.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:44 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Thank you! In the comparison pic, the difference in width (5mm) is a lot less than I thought it would be. How did the Telly do crawling at the club this past weekend? It looks like it was getting it done!!

How is the steering on the truck? Are you able to make sharp turns? That's the one thing I don't like about my Wraith, it doesn't make very sharp turns which can make it difficult on some obstacles.

Last edited by MaX-D; 06-09-2015 at 04:47 AM.
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #65
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you! In the comparison pic, the difference in width (5mm) is a lot less than I thought it would be. How did the Telly do crawling at the club this past weekend? It looks like it was getting it done!!

How is the steering on the truck? Are you able to make sharp turns? That's the one thing I don't like about my Wraith, it doesn't make very sharp turns which can make it difficult on some obstacles.
The Telluride don't have a super tight turning radius since I have a locker in the front. It is decent but not like some of the other trucks. It don't have too much trouble climbing stuff. Honestly the only reason it isn't better than the others is center chassis ground clearance. If you pick your lines better you will get over most stuff with in reason. Next time I go to the club I will get more pics of what I have climbed over but honestly everyone at the club is surprised at this truck and they all like it.

For the Wraith my buddies have tons of steering. Do you have the RTR version or the kit. They said the kit has like a CVD style axle in the front so steers better and then they rotate the Caster blocks. Left on right and right on left and it has mad steering like nothing else I have seen before other than maybe the Vaterra.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

I agree on the lack if belly clearance on the Telluride, but it is like having a full belly skid with the way it's designed
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:57 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
The Telluride don't have a super tight turning radius since I have a locker in the front. It is decent but not like some of the other trucks. It don't have too much trouble climbing stuff. Honestly the only reason it isn't better than the others is center chassis ground clearance. If you pick your lines better you will get over most stuff with in reason. Next time I go to the club I will get more pics of what I have climbed over but honestly everyone at the club is surprised at this truck and they all like it.

For the Wraith my buddies have tons of steering. Do you have the RTR version or the kit. They said the kit has like a CVD style axle in the front so steers better and then they rotate the Caster blocks. Left on right and right on left and it has mad steering like nothing else I have seen before other than maybe the Vaterra.
I don't know if my Wraith was kit or RTR? I got it used. It's got all Vanquish suspension parts on it. I ordered some Junfac 9mm wheel wideners for it as the wheels rub on the steering captured ends and the tires hit the shock springs at full lock. That might have something to do with my lack of steering. We'll see. My sons Wraith is the RTR version and his has AWESOME steering......much better than mine. Go figure. LOL

Learning your lines and how to approach an obstacle is one of the fun parts of crawling. I have yet to see any vehicle not get over a obstacle. I'm convinced the Telly can hang with the rest of them despite the lack of belly clearance. I've learned a lot in a short amount of time, mostly from much more experienced drivers at the club. Unlike short course, crawling is not competitive at all. Everyone is just there to have fun.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #68
wyd
Rock Crawler

Got my new PitBull Super softer tires on Wed. Tried to mount them on the Proline F-11 bead locks and while I did get them to fit they look funny on the outside as the tire isn't as wide so when you apply the bead lock and tighten down it gets a funny lip on them. I decided to mount them on some JC Hazards instead and they look normal. Glued the back side so either late today or Friday evening I will finish them up and give them a try.

They do look much more scale than my Badlands and Trencher X's and are the softest tires I now have. My Trenchers are soft but the new Pit Bulls Ultra Soft are still softer. Can't wait to try them out. I think they are a little smaller overall than my other tires as well so I will have to finishing gluing and check everything out side by side and on my truck. Will see how they crawl this weekend. I don't have any weight added to my truck since I built it but never honestly needed it since I'm not trying to go up Mount Everest any time soon. I think these tires are about the last thing I'm doing to the truck for awhile other than mess with setup some. Anything I add extra now will be more for show than go.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #69
wyd
Rock Crawler

Here are some pics of my new Pitbull Tires. Nice and soft and look great. Did a very little test run and I can see that they are pretty nice overall. Think these will be on my truck most of the time from now on.

Pitbull on left and TRencher X's on right side. These are my two favorite tires.

Pitbulls on top and Trenchers on bottom.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Have you taken the Pitbull's for a crawl yet?
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #71
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Have you taken the Pitbull's for a crawl yet?
Not yet. Not sure when I can make it to the club to crawl. This weekend I'm picking up a new to me Motorcycle on Sat and Sun is fishing but if I don't go fishing then I will go to the club and try them out. I suspect they will work just fine as they are softer than the other and just the little fooling around the hobbyshop they where as good or better than my other tires.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #72
RCC Addict

How bout now? Have you made it over to the club for a good crawl with the Pitbull's?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #73
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
How bout now? Have you made it over to the club for a good crawl with the Pitbull's?
It has rained the the last few weekends and the last week I was on vacation over the last two weekends. This weekend the weather is looking pretty good right now so I hope to get out with it along with a new toy I bought. I have a new AX10 Deadbolt plus some new STRC parts I ordered for it to put on so I'm going to want to get that thing out.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #74
wyd
Rock Crawler

Since I built my Telluride I have about 4 hours of run time on it and it has been flawless for me with zero issues or broken parts. I mainly been trailing it with some rock climbing at a local crawling area called BackHills R/C that can be found on Facebook. Very nice family oriented place that Josh has setup in his parents back yard and wooded area. Place a U4 track for the Yeti's and stuff like that to play on and a very large are in the woods to crawl. They have all kinds of trails, climbs that go into trees and tons of buildings that different club members have built. Very fun place to go and spend an afternoon.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #75
RCC Addict

How's the AX-10?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #76
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
How's the AX-10?
I have ran it at the shop over everything I have ran the Telluride on and it does it much easier. I really like both of them. The AX-10 has that quick motor in so its fun like the Telluride to have a little more speed than pure crawler which isn't my thing. It does have the torque twist with the chassis but so did my Crawler King so it is fine to me. I'm glad I bought it as its fun. Telluride is faster and jumps better. Lol
Old 07-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #77
RCC Addict

So if you could only keep one andhad to choose one over the other, which would it be: Telly or Deadbolt?

I know, it's a horrible question, but had to ask. I'm in a similar situation . Slow crawling with my Wraith is fun for a little while, but then I want to drive it fast and jump it. I have a Castle MMP ESC with a Tekin Pro4 4600kv motor in my Wraith. It flies! I got it used and it came with the truck. My sons is all stock. I've upgraded the servo and steering links in his. He wants his fast like mine. The Wraith jumps ok, but tips over very easy. The Telly looks like it's more fun to drive for my style of driving. We've watched some videos of the Telly on YouTube and the Telly can drive fast, jump, and crawl. I know it probably can't crawl as good as my Wraith, but...........We also watched a video of Jang driving his Wraith with a fast motor and jumping and he makes it look fun. I have a dilemma . I can't afford two Telly's right now. I would buy rollers and put brushless systems in them.

Here's a few videos for you of each truck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YcClNVyUFCY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv4-hN_bFA8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0S3WWslFOc

Last edited by MaX-D; 07-15-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #78
wyd
Rock Crawler

Max D its not as hard to pick one as you think for me. If I was in your position and if I could only have one I would take the Telluride. Right out of the gate with independent suspension make it a blast to be able to go fast and jump over and off things better than any straight axle truck can do. Second is we know that the drive train of the Traxxas 4x4's is pretty bullet proof and especially if you put in the aluminum drive shaft or the Techno drive shaft setup on the Telluride it just that much better. Not you might not have the total best crawler but you would have a fantastic trail machine, all around basher and a fairly decent crawler. Add a cheaper Hot racing front locker or just use some silly putty in the front and rear diffs and your crawling better and still killing the trails. Add those Traxxas GTR shocks I added and you can really set it up to jump about anything within reason. Tire selection for full blow crawler tires would be less unless you do like the guy did with his Telluride and add those wider spacers then will its game on with crawler and trail tires. Last but the one thing I know 100% is that the Traxxas is so much easier to work on its not even funny. Traxxas did their homework when it comes to that. Motor wise you can put almost anything in this thing and it can take it.

Don't get me wrong I love my AX-10 but while it comes factory with some speed it will never handle anything like my Telluride does overall. I got the AX-10 for crawling over much rougher areas and will still be trailing. Telluride will still be my main truck for trails. My SCX10 and Yeti are for show and won't be really used other than for showing customers at the shop and what hop ups you can get for these things and what it is available from STRC/Futaba/Savox and a few others. Where mainly a race shop but this will help with the crawlers if a customer is interested.

Hope this helps you out. IF you need any more info as always just let me know and I will be happy to help you out anyway I can.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #79
RCC Addict

How would the Telly set up like yours do with a Axial AE-5 ESC and a 21T Titan brushed motor on 3s?

Last edited by MaX-D; 07-16-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #80
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
How would the Telly set up like yours do with a Axial AE-5 ESC and a 21T Titan brushed motor on 3s?
Would be faster for sure and the Axial ESC should be fine. I would add a fan to the motor if your going to do a lot of slow stuff to help keep it a little cooler and will get you more motor life. You might want to make it wide by using those axle spacers that the guy is using in that video you have posted. Just would help make it more stable for going really fast over the rough stuff.

Went with the Telluride. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My take on a Telluride Trail Truck John82601 Traxxas Crawlers 60 02-02-2016 11:03 AM
Telluride? mwe-maxxowner Traxxas Crawlers 34 05-03-2015 06:53 AM
New traxxas telluride 4x4 crawlernut General Crawlers 31 12-15-2013 03:47 PM
Traxxas telluride azwheelman Videos! 18 10-03-2013 09:17 AM
Traxxas Telluride zjguy721 General Crawlers 4 09-06-2013 12:07 PM