Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Best way to make a tube chassis?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #1

Default Best way to make a tube chassis?

What is the best way (and cheapest) to make a tube chassis?
pipdango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Best way to make a tube chassis?

WITH TUBE!!
Vu14TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I think the bigest pain in the ass and most expensive is getting the right tools.....I know it has been for me.....

thinkfully I have everything nearby here in town,, 8O 8O
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:29 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

i have about $55-65 in my tube chassis.. and since i moved, i only had limited tools to work with, since everything else was in storage..i used a 110 welder( flux core),a 4.5" grinder w/ 5" cutoff wheels and flap discs, a brakeline bender from Autozone that had the degree marks on it, drill w/ various drill bits and that's about it besides screwdrivers,loctite, and a ton of nuts and bolts. it would help tremendously to have a dremel with tools because that way you can fit in tight areas to grind stuff off( that will be my next tool i buy ) and it's alot better if you used gas wire instead of flux core.the flux likes to leave alot of slag.. on my next project, im finnaly gonna learn to braze the right way. then maybe i can have my joints look as good as Jay K. has his

but besides the tools, you should draw up an idea on paper to what you want. then go out and buy a bag of straws w/ the bends in them. then just cut the straws and tape them together. it helped me out alot when doing my 1st project.i had more of a better idea of what it was gonna look like. then after that, just jump right in on it.. i have built 1:1 crawlers from the ground up but never did anything like the RC thing before and i just jumped in with both feet. it could look alot better, but for the 1st project, it didn't turn out too bad

good luck if ya build one

BTW- your using a Maxx i take it for the base truck? are you planning on going hybrid SA's?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey toyo i finaly finished testing out my first brazes and there not bad but when I drop them kinda hard they break apart the braze.even thou they look like one solid piece....

so do you or anyone else have some brazing tips....
I tried using that Harris Silver brazing alloy but it pops like hell....
bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i found that it seemed like the brazing joints, well when i tryed with my 50 doller equipment didnt hold together to well... but solder and a mini torch seem to work pretty well!
extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

nope, have no tips as of now, i have just now actually figured out what my tuber will look like. so now its on to trying to learn the braze. i went out and tried the soldering stuff and it didn't hold at all.

for you guys that did braze, what size rods were you using? im thinking mine is 1/16" rod. i tried before on the last project, but i had to thick of a rod. i just need to find a good flux.. jay says that Safety Silv 56 crap is pretty good, but you say it pops alot? when it pops, does it make a mess all over?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #8

isnt solder a bit week fo the punishment of anything rc (execpt for electrical joints)?
customcrawlerV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default safety silv 56

Safety siv 56 is more of a brazing/welding material rather than a solder. This stuff is tuff .I use it and I love it. It is expensive , but it's worth it! Thanks. Bob
slashbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I use Harris Safety Silv 45 with Harris flux, it works awesome. I have tried to break apart joints and they held while the metal bent around it. Yes it isn't cheap but well worth the investment, it is easy to use and produces a clean strong joint.

With a clean surface, the correct flux and proper amount of heat I haven't had a "pop"

This was my first project using Safety Silv 45, I may try #56 eventually but I will stick with Safety Silv, not one complaint with it.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

would a propane torch be sufficient or should i use oxy/acetylene? and this would be with safety silv 45
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #12

what size tube are you using in ur frames is it solid stock and size thanks
jrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #13

i have a honcho body on my creeper and it doesnt quit fit as well as i would like.i need to get off my @ss and build one of these,what did you use for the frame rails?
northsydryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hey ,jmz6, if you don't mind could you tellme what the rear bumper is made of, and did it take solder well?
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Silver solder is a good tipe rod but again it is expensive. Silver solder takes less heat to melt and less heat means a stronger weld as the metal does not strech as much. For making a good weld clean the tubing (brake line) if you are using it with sand paper because it has a zink or galvinized coating. try and clean the inside too they are normally coated with a anti rust coating like oil or a thin grease. You do get a stainless steel brake line in various sizes and those are stiff as hell and can be silver soldered too. Heat the tubing firs to the piont as it begins to change colour and then apply solder, it will flow if surfaces is clean and oil free. Good luck.
SLEDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I've built quite a few chassis now and I just prefer to weld them to make sure they can take massive punishment.

Solder seems to leave a nice clean connection but for the weight of a maxx truck or summit, I dont know..
I know clean up on some of the welds can but a bit of a pain after welding but the strength is unparalleled..
m4rK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
Hey ,jmz6, if you don't mind could you tellme what the rear bumper is made of, and did it take solder well?
Thin wall box channel, cleaned up well, it takes the brazing alloy just fine.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rK View Post
I've built quite a few chassis now and I just prefer to weld them to make sure they can take massive punishment.

Solder seems to leave a nice clean connection but for the weight of a maxx truck or summit, I dont know..
I know clean up on some of the welds can but a bit of a pain after welding but the strength is unparalleled..
So if your welding,tig or mig? Surly not stick ?

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 07-21-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:37 PM   #19

Excuse me if I sound stupid but what kind of tubing do you all use and what's the best place to buy it is something that the local stores would carry. I'm new to this and wanted to build a truggy like member jmz6 built but don't know where to start. Does it come in different thickness and does it come in a roll or as long rods.
WILLIE WILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #20

I have a welder so I'll probably start with that since I have a little experience with welding but if that doesn't work out I might look into learning how to do brazing.
WILLIE WILL is offline   Reply With Quote