Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Lipo suggestion help for summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

That charger is more what your looking for 200watts
I would be very careful dealing with that shop.. as far as i am aware the evx2 does NOT have a lvc new or old.
one diff at a time are they on glue.... that is absolutely 100% inaccurate.what would be the point of not being able to lock both when needed.
I myself prefer to lock front first helps climbing and acts a bit like a dig.
the summit battery boxes are pretty good at protecting the batts a bit of extra foam just for extra safety.hard or soft personal choice in this case
2s is two cells in series. a fully charged 2s lipo is 8.4v 7.4 is nominal (voltage) each cell is 4.20v charged so 2s2p is 2cells in series and 2cells in parallel.
series increases voltage parallel increases mah so to get these higher mah packs they have to add cells without increasing voltage.2s2p is still a 2s 7.4v just more capacity.I doubt those would fit without some serious modding to the batt compartments.
All reports i have heard on the nano tec's have been good the gens ace also have excellent feedback
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #42

cheers again for your thoughts.

now to find a PS for the charger.. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=13765 this looks ok from what I can see?

Yeh I won't be taking any advice from them...it sounded odd at the time.

With the nano size, going by what is on traxxas forums (http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Summit-F.-A.-Q) the battery compartment size is 160*51*31

Physically the Nano 6.0 25-50c is 155*20*49 so should squeeze in...I hope.

Or the:
-5000 mah 2s 40c Softcase is 147*49*18
-5000 mah 2s2p 40c Hardcase is 139*46*26

I'll most likely end up with the nano 6.0 or HC 5.0.
cap51z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap51z View Post
cheers again for your thoughts.

now to find a PS for the charger.. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=13765 this looks ok from what I can see?

Yeh I won't be taking any advice from them...it sounded odd at the time.

With the nano size, going by what is on traxxas forums (http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Summit-F.-A.-Q) the battery compartment size is 160*51*31

Physically the Nano 6.0 25-50c is 155*20*49 so should squeeze in...I hope.

Or the:
-5000 mah 2s 40c Softcase is 147*49*18
-5000 mah 2s2p 40c Hardcase is 139*46*26
I'll most likely end up with the nano 6.0 or HC 5.0.
(DISCLAIMER) I am not a trained expert on this subject.....
hopefully this helps you some anyways

That power supply should do it's 220 watts 16 amps so it's just strong enough to charge 4 batts at 4 amps max and that would be working it to the max better to have more amps than you need so that everything is not working at max output.
That creates heat and heat and electronics = unhappy electronics and if they get unhappy enough they may decide to end it all and light themselves on fire.ALL KIDDING ASIDE working chargers and power supplies at there max output is not recomended fire hazard is very real
6000mah=6 amps.so 2 6000mah would need 12 amps to charge each at 1c..(A term used in charging means 1 x the Capacity)some batts can be charged at higher rates 2c etc..

above formula looks weird for the nano . my buddy is running a 5000 2s pack turnigy i think.... have to look at it for him but the batt doors don't want to close all the way the packs are a bit wide velcro strap if needed
The nano should fit , 155 long 49 wide 20 thick is that right?.I am looking at those batt's as well.I haven't heard a bad word about them.all good so far.I may go MMP tekin sensored brushless for summer and dewalt evx2 for fall and winter brushless for longer run times not speed.where i run speed is catastrophic and could get expensive fairly quick

Last edited by jaymann; 03-29-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #44

will keep that in mind...electronics & I do not usually get along lol.

I'd only plan to be charging 2 at a time mostly. If I did charge 4 at once I'd charge them at a lower setting comfortably within the parameters & it should be ok yeh?

The 5.0 2s 25-50C nano is physically larger than the 6.0 nano! The 5.0 non nano lipo is smaller though. (all Turnigy)

Other than the batts for now I doubt I'll change much until stuff breaks then upgrade as possible, no point replacing what will only break again.

Guessing you have a fair change of seasons to warrant different motors & ESC's for different seasons?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
will keep that in mind...electronics & I do not usually get along lol.

I'd only plan to be charging 2 at a time mostly. If I did charge 4 at once I'd charge them at a lower setting comfortably within the parameters & it should be ok yeh?

The 5.0 2s 25-50C nano is physically larger than the 6.0 nano! The 5.0 non nano lipo is smaller though. (all Turnigy)

Other than the batts for now I doubt I'll change much until stuff breaks then upgrade as possible, no point replacing what will only break again.

Guessing you have a fair change of seasons to warrant different motors & ESC's for different seasons?
Ya If you don't push the equipment it will last longer and be safer in the long run
Indeed, i live in a rainforest basically so fall and winter lots of rain and sometimes snow.yet the ski mountain thats a 2 hour drive up Island (yes i live on a island off the west coast of Canada Can't miss it it's pretty big). still has a 17' base ...yes thats 17 feet of base here's a link to my photobucket you will get the idea of where i run...http://s758.photobucket.com/home/jdamann/index
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #46

nice terrain, I'm on the road a bit these days & noticing a lot a good stuff also albeit mini scale of what I usually keep an eye out for in the life sized version of crawling.

Cheers again for all your replies, I'm about to place the order for the charger, PS & a bunch of other small stuff. I won't order the batts until I can verify the measurements myself (they are out of stock anyway!)
Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

No problem glad i could help some anyways "can only lock one diff at a time"
should go ask him a few more questions just in case he was confused or something.Thats a pretty big error built in lvc on a evx2 that could have caused a very bad situation.When lipo get over discharged they tend to start to puff up and get very hot.they have a huge amount of energy and if it were to burst it would be a big fireball that could burn down your house or melt your truck into a mass of goo. Lipo need to be treated with respect as should any battery really.they are safe if used correctly.the stuff you see on utube is done on purpose overcharging and such.a low voltage alarm is cheap and works i have run a 2s moniter from hobby king for a year and a half works fine the bm6 is a better one if you do get a few for backup .I am going back to running one on each batt for added safety

of stock quite often.... they are very popular
the summit really is like no other truck out there.if you have the terrain to run it on it will suprise you with what it's capable of.
It's not a comp crawler but it's quite capable once you get the feel of it.
it's not a revo set up for speed but is quite capable considering it's a off road truck.
Really who is going to do 100mph in a 1:1 truck with 44" boggers on it.And live for very long anyways. It's pretty much unstopable with my winch it is unstopable
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #48

may the builder RIP but I know of a truck that used to do 100+ kph on 44" boggers and handle nicely. This was told to me by a mate who had done so in it with a fair background in raceway etc, mind you, the builder had an engineering shop.

My Sierra (Samurai) on 36"s sat nicely on 110kph after a wheel alignment, the 39"s were a vastly different story lol

Just ordered some LVA's off eBay that a mate here has recommended, he races on them & has had no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 03-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Jaymann do you have a build thread on here with what you used for a winch as I have thought about using a rc4wd one but I don't think it would be strong enough to swing a 5KG truck off. I hope I am wrong as I really like the idea of a wireless winch.

Thanks James
prontozuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prontozuk View Post
Jaymann do you have a build thread on here with what you used for a winch as I have thought about using a rc4wd one but I don't think it would be strong enough to swing a 5KG truck off. I hope I am wrong as I really like the idea of a wireless winch.

Thanks James
I didn't do a build thread but would be happy to share the info i used
for the servo mod's i used this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKlXg6qQcgw
I used a 1/5 scale servo for the strength(Toward pro 9508 mg), I know that the rc4wd one will work for scalers and such but my summit was pushing 20+ pounds.
so i went overkill and glad i did it will lift the truck staight of the ground

For the tx mod i used this..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqntnWcb4FA
The bonus if i decide to do the rear steer the tx is ready to go already just unplug winch plug in steer servo.The mount i made out of what i had around here is some pics...http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/x...winch%20winch/
any other questions just ask i
'll do my best to answer
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
may the builder RIP but I know of a truck that used to do 100+ kph on 44" boggers and handle nicely. This was told to me by a mate who had done so in it with a fair background in raceway etc, mind you, the builder had an engineering shop.

My Sierra (Samurai) on 36"s sat nicely on 110kph after a wheel alignment, the 39"s were a vastly different story lol

Just ordered some LVA's off eBay that a mate here has recommended, he races on them & has had no problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Maybe not the best example but you get the jist of it
they are all fairly similar if your mate uses them and they work use them
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #52

cheers,

said mate is prontozuk from above..good luck with the winch mate