Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 6 months and $1,000 later still lovin my summit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Default 6 months and $1,000 later still lovin my summit

Bought it for $325 off of craigslist and thought that was alot at the time, now i think it was a great deal. Got some 2s lipos 5000mah, they are turnigy 40-50c usually give me around an hour of run time. I think these where probably my best bang for the buck and highly recommend em.
Got a tekin 2000kv system and never changed the gearing or the slipper clutch. i just slapped it in and started bashing. Man that buttery smoothness you hear about is totally true. The 2000kv never gets hot and provides plenty of speed and great run times. It feels like 35 mph the way I have it set up, and I don't think I could go any faster with out a tire upgrade.
Fried my tekin esc due to crappy install and even worse driving habits. I bought a MMP because it is what the LHS had and was also about $75 cheaper. This ESC is much smaller and lighter which is nice I spose. It still has sensored capability. It does not have the buttery smoothness ...at least not like the tekin.
Maybe someone can help settle a debate my roomie and I are having. I say that I am slower now in terms of top end. He is a huge castle fan and says that the ESC isn't the issue. I am thinking it has something to do with the way the tekin switches between sensored and sensorless mode depending on rpm. What say you traxxas community?
Anoher thought on summits.....the summit squat. I used to hate it, but now I love it. One time I tightened up the shocks in the rear end and started snappin driveline like crazey. The angle was just not working. So I went back to original height and just decided to live with it. As it turns out there are some really nice manuevers you can pull off once you learn the exact cut off point in a turn to prevent a roll. Do I need more wheel spin or less...it is a fine line but once you learn it and are able to spend all day right on that razors edge, good times will ensue. I can do things in open grass, bark dust, and loose dirt....that my roomies emax will never touch. Mostly due to its incredible stability. His emax is rock solid and super predictable ....where's the fun in that?
I have gone through 1 rear diff. I put thickish diff oil in the new one and have never had a problem since. And believe me when I tell you it's been ridden hard. I have gone to the BMX park and jumped this thing clean over my head, and smacked plenty of trees at 35 mph. It usually sounds like a good NFL hit. SMACK! and then I go into reverse and start all over again.
I still have the original body on it while I have watched my roomie spend 2 days taping and painting $30 exocageless bodies....just so he can thrash it in a week. He now covers them completely in duct tape and posicle sticks, but they still don't last. Mine looks beat to H E double hockey sticks but will prolly last another year.
Some day I hope to get another summit and start by getting the aluminum diffs that jayman found, and combining them with the demolishers from the joker....and start waging that battle of durability just so that I always have some tinkering to do. At this point nothing ever breaks on mine. Which is good and bad at the same time.
I still have the number of the guy that sold me this truck, and sometimes want to send him a text thanking him for all the great times I have had. But would that just be rubbing it in? I'm still undecided.
sneakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nice, where did you get the aluminum diffs? I just ordered the Tekin rx8 with the 2250kv motor, and some 40 series rock crushers on Axial narrowed wheels. I also installed the Traxxas steel center drive shafts as I twisted the stock ones like a pretzel. Im sure I will be breaking diffs after the upgrades, so I would like to be prepared and have some aluminum ones on standby.

thanks for any help.
swezy207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #3