Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Default My Build

Just joined! See my intro: Introduction!

This will be the progress of my slow build.

Plans for my build? Torque. I have access to carbon fiber so I will likely be using a mix of carbon parts and aluminum parts. I'll try my best to be active on here as much as I can.

So far my thoughts: wow. rc has came a long way. I'm blown away by the flex this thing has. A little annoyed the rear locker can't be locked on it's own.
Also maybe someone else can correct me here but i noticed while having it climb a really steep object i lose all momentum and the motors just spins as if it's in neutral. I'm assuming it's the slipper clutch?

Not much more to add here, but stay tuned?

sauce:

sk8rjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My Build

You can switch the servo plugs on the receiver to get the rear to lock instead of the front.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice ideas!

They are great fun!

Sounds like the slipper clutch is a little loose, I went with a gt3c with a 6 channel hobby king receiver just fits lol. Means I can lock both diffs independently.

The radio has to be hacked though but it isn't hard

Search overkillrc.
bradyrx70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

I swapped the 4 and 5 plug. The offroader in me misses trying obstacles in RWD only so I'm going to figure out a driveshaft disconnect for this eventually when I have time.

finally got the chance to run it pretty hard. learned it sinks if you floor it in high waters - not even about to get into that habit.

I drilled holes in the tires too so that water isn't trapped.
I somehow managed to bend a push rod(maybe called a turnbuckle as well?) up front. I didn't hit anything hard that I can remember so i'm not sure how that happened.
I'm still blown away by how much fun this thing is.

Is anyone else's suspension extremely soft out of the box? it was so bad i thought I broke my shocks after running it all day. Tightened all the springs but already thinking I want to look for an aftermarket alternative.

okay, someone fill me in. Is there a different model of the summit that is called long travel? I thought my stock summit already had awesome flex which i would consider long travel but after looking at the schematic and seeing the LT word thrown around I'm thinking it's a separate model.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The suspension is super soft by default to be able to handle rutted fields, and the Summit uses the "long travel" suspension rockers from Traxxas which results in a lot more suspension travel than normal, compared to the E-Revo.

The rear squats really bad in stock form, however adding the #5649 "double orange" stripe springs to the rear will help. You could also do #5444 blue or #5445 purple springs, which are the stiffest available for the GTR shocks. Screwing in those collars adjusts the "preload", which only affects the ride height. I only run like 2mm or preload in the rear to help with the squat, anything more will just make the rear stand up too much.

FWIW, this is definitely a durable truck. I've put about 15 runs through mine before finally breaking a lower rear a-arm, which was from me jumping off a 25 ft tall pile and cartwheeling down it...

Edit: also since you mentioned running in water, I always take the air compressor and blow out the outdrives for the diffs and bearings. Just overall drying the truck off to prevent any rust from forming.

Last edited by Sneetches; 06-12-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #6

Adjusting preload also adjusts stiffness which in turn means it won't absorb bumps as well - just an FYI for anyone reading this.

Yeah I love the truck so far.

sent from localhost
Old 06-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

I did a thing. Hard to tell but the debsides were filled in and are perfectly even so that when I paint it, it will all look like one piece.
I have more to add when I get some free time tonight or tomo

sent from localhost
Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 PM   #8

Ended up shredding spider gears after a pretty hard tumble while fully locked.

New spiders: check.
Hot glued mock up of the 2 pieces of roll bar I've made: check.
New bearings on standby: check.

I finally had time to get the gears changed and man did I really shred the spider gears in the rear.. It's rather funny because all the gear issues on my Toyota has been from me shredding spider gears one way or another. Haha.
I haven't had time to finish my cage but we are going on vacation in the morning to I quickly hot glued the little bit i have done. Am I happy with it? No. It looks hideous. But it'll hold if I roll it.
I trimmed the front and rear bumpers on the shell as well since the whole body sits much lower and it was hitting the plastic external bumpers.
Oh and finally got some lipos. Venim 5000mah 30c 2s. It was what hobbytown stocked.
OH and home depot gift card holders look great for a scale toolbox(see in my bed).

sent from localhost
Old 07-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I like the "pick-up" look and the roll-cage angles. I saw you on the TRX forums too. Lookin' good.
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
RCC Addict

looks real good man really dig the drop bed.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Love that body! Great idea
Madshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Thanks guys. Finally got a change to get it muddy! I'm not at all impressed with the stock tires. They did terrible on bigger rocks with some mud. I'd love to get some pitbull rockers that were big enough for this because those are my favorite off-road tire and if they perform in scale like they do in full size it will be unstoppable.

Fun fact: I used heavy duty grease from Lowes in my rear diff and so far so good. I ran it pretty hard tonight and it seems to have held up.
But I am disappointed in my batteries. I haven't seen them charge past 3000 and they are labeled as 5000. They discharge as fast as the stock batteries IMO.
Also I need to adjust the springs just a little until I get new ones.
Pics.

sent from localhost
Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Pitbull will be coming out with some 3.8" tires in a month or two I believe. I wanted to test them on the Yeti XL / Summit. They will be bigger than the stock Summit tires, but not as wide.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #14

I have a question guys. I've got 2 fairly new 5000mah 2s 30c that I bought for this. I noticed I can never get them to charge up to 5000mah - I can't even get them to 3000mah. On top of that they drain relatively quick. I get more play time out of the stock batteries.
I've tried fully discharging, charging at a slower rate, faster rate. I've done multiple cycles of all this with no avail.
Anything else I could try before I go buying new batteries?
Old 11-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Does the charger have a mAh cutoff by chance? If so, you may have to raise that limit to fully charge the packs.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #16

Not that low I wouldn't think. I'm using the x1 charger.

https://www.hobbytown.com/Shop/HRC44...AC-DC-Charger/
Old 11-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Those should have one, look through your owners manual and check to make sure though. I have a Patriot R/C charger (an old HobbyTown brand name) that works the same way, and it does have that adjustable cut off. Mine happened to be set for 5000mAh and I have a set of Traxxas 7600mAh packs I undercharged for about a year.before discovering that on mine.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:30 PM   #18

Ah. That's good to know. I'll look into it.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #19

I checked the manual and found it only has a limit on nimh, not on lipo.

My Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM