Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world

Whoever makes the first thing of its kind sets the standard. Then, someday, maybe everyone agrees to tweak the standard to something that makes a little more sense. That's how it always works. But it doesn't really matter if the numbers are nicely rounded, humans just like the way round numbers look. It has no meaning beyond that.

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. However, I'll wait anyway, because I'm 34 years old and I've learned to let manufacturers work-out the bugs inherent in the first production run of anything.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #42
RCC Addict

There are some seriously angry people who have issues with traxxas doing a scaler. Particularly die hard traxxas bashers.

I have a couple traxxas rigs for casual back yard bashing, so my kid knows the name. It is kind of neat to watch NHRA and see a traxxas sponsored drag car or two. Gives the kid more of a connection to the racing.

With Traxxas's marketing power it could bring a whole new crowd into the scaler scene. Not sure how it could be a bad thing, unless the people who buy traxxas products are jerky little kids. I have seen some really obnoxious kids at the RC store and they all have slashes but maybe that is coincidence.

My experience with people in the scaling world has been very positive. Seems like most people put a lot of time into their rigs, and that translates to something in common with others in this niche. As many douche bags(here) rear their heads with snarky comments, very rarely do I see criticism of peoples rigs or poor craftsmanship unless it is constructive or an attempt to be helpful.

Hopefully that doesn't change when and if scaling becomes more mainstream due to traxxas's marketing power.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 05-02-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Honestly, I don't give a crap if it's a half inch longer and one inch wider. The detail in the body, wheels and tires, and the options this truck has is outstanding. I put 11 mm wheel widener's on my Wraith to help it steer better so the tires didn't rub. It's a little wider now, and a little more stable as well.

When I'm out at my local crawling course , the SCX10's are usually the ones tipping over because they're narrow, where the wider Vehicles like The Wraith do not. That's what prompted me to get The Wraith. I prefer a little wider vehicle for stability.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
There are some seriously angry people who have issues with traxxas doing a scaler. Particularly die hard traxxas bashers.
Haven't really seen anything negative over on the Traxxas site, but no doubt these people are out there. Some people would complain bitterly if you gave them $1000 and walked away.

Quote:
My experience with people in the scaling world has been very positive. Seems like most people put a lot of time into their rigs, and that translates to something in common with others in this niche. As many douche bags(here) rear their heads with snarky comments, very rarely do I see criticism of peoples rigs or poor craftsmanship unless it is constructive or an attempt to be helpful.
I have dabble in racing, and in aircraft, both of those RC communities are just way too uptight for my taste. Most of us scale RCers just like running our rigs with other people who enjoy the same thing, this goes for comps too.

In any niche of our hobby, you will ALWAYS have those douches you mentioned, but from my experiences, there is a lot less douchery in scalers and crawlers.

Quote:
Hopefully that doesn't change when and if scaling becomes more mainstream due to traxxas's marketing power.
I am looking forward to seeing what the TRX-4 can do, just hoping it does not pancake like Traxxas' dragster did.

Wonder when the TRX-4 will get its own subforum under the Scale RC section?

Last edited by Greatscott; 05-02-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

I am looking forward to seeing what the TRX-4 can do, just hoping it does not pancake like Traxxas' dragster did.
I'm sure this will be a bit better off because of it's nature though. The dragster thing is like a niche within a niche, you need 2 of them with a friend to really have fun and they are ONLY good for going fast in a straight line on the road. The crawler at least can turn any rock pile, local park, or trail hike into something different.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

The most positive thing I can think of with this being a bit wide. That is maybe aftermarket bodies will finally fit the scx and Ascender. Almost every body maker today makes the bodies to narrow. Especially proline. Do they even have any bodies for the scx track width of 240mm? Most are 195mm.
Considering to change all my scx rigs to narrow Ascender or MST MSA axles, to get track width to suit better the bodies I got.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by trascall10 View Post
I am super interested in the TRX4! Anyone know if there are any videos out there of the TRX4 running?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
None yet, but you can sign up for updates at Traxxas's site. When they put out info/vids, etc, you'll get an e-mail.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Well i was all for it and do love the innovative designs, but 23 inches. Wait this warrants caps TWENTY THREE INCHES LONG this isnt a 1/10 scale truck. More like 1/7. This alone has put me right off. I currently run a killerbodies G Wagon on my scx10 and thats very long, and 23 inches is about 4 inches longer again. Well traxxas i thought you were going to steal the show. Again i was wrong.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Chill. It's only like an inch longer than a SCX10 II with the stock Jeep Cherokee body and bumpers installed.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

The width and wheelbase is a non issue as I see it. As long there is bodies made for it that is in proportion to the axles. The wheelbase is very easy to customize on a linked truck. But as it is now, only SC bodies fit over the axles. Or you can build a class 3 truck where width is not as important.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:20 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Judging from the wheelbase the scale is pretty close to 1/8.6 and not anywhere near 1/7. Actually pretty close in scale to the Dingo (1/8.1) and the scx10.2 cherokee (1/8.2) and the Vaterra K5 (1/8.6).
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:11 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

If uts actually abiut to come on sale where is there crazy 20th century fox style promitional running video ? This is very surprising they havent givem us a teaser video yet.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
If uts actually abiut to come on sale where is there crazy 20th century fox style promitional running video ? This is very surprising they havent givem us a teaser video yet.
If it were me in their marketing dept., I'd hold back on launching the full blown media campaign until after the first wave. At this point, it would be selling past the close, as I'm sure that pretty much every first wave truck will find a home before it even sees a store shelf.

The media campaign and review samples should go out to help push for the second wave of trucks, after the early adopters have them in hand. This helps move against the "wait and see" audience (especially as $450 makes this a higher consideration item).

Plus, they've released several waves of teaser material already, and a crawler doing it's thing isn't quite as "wow!" as an 3-revo clearing a 15 foot jump. Conversely, you can communicate the 'cool factor' of a crawler much easier in still photos than with video.
AggressorBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I imagine we'll see one in the next week or so....if it's shipping mid May, I assume they'll have production units in hand shortly.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:21 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Honestly, I don't give a crap if it's a half inch longer and one inch wider. The detail in the body, wheels and tires, and the options this truck has is outstanding. I put 11 mm wheel widener's on my Wraith to help it steer better so the tires didn't rub. It's a little wider now, and a little more stable as well.

When I'm out at my local crawling course , the SCX10's are usually the ones tipping over because they're narrow, where the wider Vehicles like The Wraith do not. That's what prompted me to get The Wraith. I prefer a little wider vehicle for stability.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Surely thats because they're "scalers". Its all about finesse when crawling.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Crawling is indeed all about finesse...unless you don't care about finesse and you just want to drive over some rocks.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #57

*affect
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:15 AM   #58

...i think.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

*infect....

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

So you say.

Could it be "what effect will it have on the RC world"?
If you want to use effect.

But what do I know as English is not my first language.

I hope it forces axial to make a truck with a front mounted motor.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc 1.9, 2.2 and 1/6 scale pics. With water added for effect. Norton General Crawlers 0 12-25-2015 09:57 PM
Brushless Traxxas E-Revo Vs Exceed Madbeast 1/8th Scale Rc Monster Truck hobbypartz Vendors Market 0 04-14-2011 09:13 PM
Has anybody seen the Nissan truck at Wally world? jwrape Chit Chat 34 01-17-2006 08:20 PM