Thread: Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
So you say.

Could it be "what effect will it have on the RC world"?
If you want to use effect.

But what do I know as English is not my first language.

I hope it forces axial to make a truck with a front mounted motor.
I've been to Finland 3 times over the last 10 years. Thus, I can confirm that even the people in Rovaniemi speak English better than most Americans!

On topic, I imagine the TRX-4 will inspire other companies to release the next version of their respective platforms with portals. Only time will tell whether the locking differentials and 2 speed drivetrain will prove to be maintenance nightmares. I sure hope not.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #62
RCC Addict

I'm really glad Traxxas is building a crawler. They have pretty good marketing and since they are in just about every hobby shop, more and more people will be exposed to crawling. Axial had this portion of the hobby pretty much to themselves for a long time. Vaterra made them up their game. Traxxas getting in on this might make them up it even more. Hopefully it brings Axial's prices down. RTR vs RTR $40 more for the Traxxas gets you selectable lockers, a 2 speed trans, and most likely better shocks, links, and a more detailed body.

I have mine preordered. I'll run it stock for a bit to see how it compares to my SCX10 IIs. The added length doesnt bother me. Bodies and links are easy to swap. Width might be a concern if I decide to use these axles for my C2 rig next year though.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Everyone seems to be concerned about the width of the truck. If you stop and think about it. It has portal axles. Looking at the pictures the portals are 1/2-3/4" wide on each side. Keep the stock body on it it would stay ç1. Change the body then your ç2. Unfortunately your going to need a large offset wheel to clear the portals.

I am impressed looking at the recent pictures. It looks great. There are a few issues I see though.

First one is a big one. There is no adjustment on the shock positions. They are pretty much locked in a vertical setting.

Second. Cruise control?. Really. Lol. Yes I admit I've turned up the throttle trim on a few trail runs to be lazy. I can already see all the newbie posts asking why thier truck always is running forward or it won't arm. Working in a lhs I've seen alot of younger ones messing with trims not fully understanding what they do. No offense to anyone.

Third is the tires. I guess it is a given most rtr tires are junk. Traxxas is bad about this also.

Fourth. Plastic gear tranny. 3s on a emaxx 550 motor. Have one tire flinging mud when you go hit the diff lock and that's it. Yes it has a slipper clutch. That should take most of the force in theroy.

Trust me I'm not hating on it. I really love the way it looks.

Am I going to buy one. YES. It's Traxxas. It's a crawler. I've always wondered if they would build one. Didn't actually think they would. They did step up the game a little with the locking diff and portals for under $500. Just is a slight bummer. I just payed off my credit card. Lol

Edit.

Looking at the pictures and thinking about some more I started to wonder about the cg and overall balance of the truck. The portals give tons of ground clearance but it raises you cg to the clouds. It seems like they did alot of work with lowering the cg by making the tranny sit really low and mounting the motor down between the frame rails. They battery is high up yet farther to the center of the truck then any other rig out there. Pre glued tires and wheels means adding wheel weights won't be simple task.

Last edited by toka100; 05-12-2017 at 08:28 PM.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #64
RCC Addict

How can you tell the physics of the chassis are off? Have you seen one in person?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:46 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Pre-ordered mine today!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
gbaileyo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:50 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka100 View Post

Fourth. Plastic gear tranny. 3s on a emaxx 550 motor. Have one tire flinging mud when you go hit the diff lock and that's it. Yes it has a slipper clutch. That should take most of the force in theroy.
My Summit has plastic gears......
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #67
RCC Addict

What kind of idiot would lock the diffs while the wheels are spinning like crazy? You'll trash the diffs on a real truck if you do that too. If you're slipping, hit the brakes and then lock the diffs. You'll never have more grip than when the wheels are stationary anyway.

Also, +1 what MAC FAB said. The Summit has plastic gears in the main gearbox, and you're far more likely to break an axle than to break a gear in that truck. If you don't know how to tune a slipper clutch to avoid shredding your gears, that's user error, not a design flaw.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:32 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
What kind of idiot would lock the diffs while the wheels are spinning like crazy?
A moron?

I've only had two sets of plastic gears fail in the scx10 transmission. The first was after several years of abuse with brushed 35t motor powered by 3S lipos and weighted 2.2 tires. The second was because some pieces of the broken gears had remained in the transmission.
I now have metal gears in all of my scx10 transmissions as the gears don't cost very much. Just because the gunk from the broken gears is a real pain to remove from the transmission case completely.

I don't think the locking diffs will be implemented very widely. They are pretty useless. More of a nice scale gimmick. Which I totally approve and is one of the reasons I preordered this. But I'm a bit weird. I highly doubt that most of the people in this hobby would want locking diffs.

I do hope this and the HPI Venture make axial see just how dumb the scx10.2 transmission is. It looks good but then they mounted the motor on the side and not the front. Furthermore they put it in the truck backwards.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Funny how the SCX10 II was so lauded on here when released, everyone ran out and grabbed one, and gushed about it nine ways to Sunday. Then it gets some competition,and all I keep reading is how the chassis design is outdated, the transmission sucks, shocks suck, etc. not to mention all the supply woes on top of that. Seems like it's gone from savior to pariah in just a few months.

Competition is good!

Last edited by OSRC; 05-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Funny how the SCX10 II was so lauded on here when released, everyone ran out and grabbed on, and gushed about it nine ways to Sunday. Then it gets some competition,and all I keep reading is how the chassis design is outdated, the transmission sucks, shocks suck, etc. not to mention all the supply woes on top of that. Seems like it's gone from savior to pariah in just a few months.

Competition is good!
Very true. I thought the SCX10 II was outdated when it was released. The mid motor and transmission is kind of a dated design with almost every other new vehicle moving all that weight up to the front. And the SCX10 II, IMO, wasn't enough of a change to make me run out and upgrade my SCX10 especially when I already had an Ascender. I know I'm not alone. I honestly think, and hope, that Axial will have to release an SCX10 III before long in order to stay competitive.

Competition is good. It brings out the best and we, the consumers, benefit. Good times. Fun stuff!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #71
RCC Addict

FWIW I was at the LHS the other day picking up some paint. The guys were at a recent show and had a lot of hands on and run time of the truck. Said the tires feel like Alien compound, nice and soft and sticky (not sure I believe that 100%). They also said they were doing everything they could to break it, forward to reverse over and over, locking unlocking diffs while running wide open and under throttle. They had videos to prove it although they are not allowed to post them until it gets released. They had zero issues and said they thought it awesome. They are very excited to get one in the store, they were supposed to have a demo in last weekend but it was postponed until sometime this week. We will see, hopefully it hits all the expectations.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
We will see, hopefully it hits all the expectations.
It wont.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 AM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sounds good.

It wont.

Can't say that yet.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #74
RCC Addict

I still like my SCX10 II. I just want one of these *also*.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #75

Quote:
It wont.
People do have unrealistic expectations, especially when it comes to Traxxas.

People are going to do everything in their power to break these things...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #76
RCC Addict

They sure are. I anticipate it will be less than a day between the first deliveries and the first installations of 6S 3.5-turn brushless systems.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 05-16-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Well personally i think traxxas have always succeeded at what they set out to do. The biggest rc company around is going to have done some serious homework. A massive ammount i
of work has gone into the transmission and portals alone. I think only an idiot would be surprised its good.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Hopefully they will force the adoption of 2 speed gearboxes straight from the factory, 'properly' waterproof electronics and not BS 'splash proof' stuff and even electronically lockable diffs.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Hopefully they will force the adoption of 2 speed gearboxes straight from the factory, 'properly' waterproof electronics and not BS 'splash proof' stuff and even electronically lockable diffs.
nothing is "waterproof" even you
jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanuck View Post
nothing is "waterproof" even you

Lol that reminds me somewhere I heard high jumping into water can force enough into the ol anal canal to kill a person. Might of been on "1000 ways to die" or something.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas Scale Truck - how it will effect the RC world - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc 1.9, 2.2 and 1/6 scale pics. With water added for effect. Norton General Crawlers 0 12-25-2015 09:57 PM
Brushless Traxxas E-Revo Vs Exceed Madbeast 1/8th Scale Rc Monster Truck hobbypartz Vendors Market 0 04-14-2011 09:13 PM
Has anybody seen the Nissan truck at Wally world? jwrape Chit Chat 34 01-17-2006 08:20 PM