Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Lighting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lighting

I'm anxious for the lighting kit from Traxxas.
Anyone have inside info on when we might see it available?
How bout an aftermarket mfg lighting set....anybody?
chipgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
BDR
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lighting

I have run the GT power lights from HobbyKing before, they work great, the setup can be a bit hard at the start, and the instructions are not the best, but once setup works a treat
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Lighting

This guy did it to the trx-4 too...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52jOmx7zVTw

Last edited by CR4NK; 06-04-2017 at 04:58 PM.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

After hearing from a Traxxas support guy that No lighting kit was being developed by them, I bought a lighting kit from RPP. The kit is from Associated RC and was $19. + It has twelve leds in 5 & 3 mm, a super computer box and allot of wire and fasteners for wire.....as well as the leads to connect to the receiver.
Just getting started installing.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I know a few people have been looking for light kits. A buddy of mine is currently making setups for the stock body. The lights are waterproof and good for 3s. Cant wait to get a set.

https://www.facebook.com/Powershift-...2555448686890/
Perkul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I bought from Powershiftrc, great guy, great products.
https://m.facebook.com/Powershift-Rc...2555448686890/
maxxdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Powershift Rc has a light kit on their site.

https://www.ecwid.com/store/store114...-kit-p86580854
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I may be wrong but, it looks like the Powershift light kit is always on. No module to control functions like reverse, turn signals etc. The kit I purchased at RPP for $19.99 has all functions working. Right signal when turning right, reverse lights when backing up etc. Only the module is not waterproof. I just used a bit of CorosionX on it and it has been under water with the lights on.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Was the associated kit hard to install?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
After hearing from a Traxxas support guy that No lighting kit was being developed by them, I bought a lighting kit from RPP. The kit is from Associated RC and was $19. + It has twelve leds in 5 & 3 mm, a super computer box and allot of wire and fasteners for wire.....as well as the leads to connect to the receiver.
Just getting started installing.
Just wondering where you heard traxxas wasnt working on a light kit as i heard they were?
solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgibbs View Post
I may be wrong but, it looks like the Powershift light kit is always on. No module to control functions like reverse, turn signals etc. The kit I purchased at RPP for $19.99 has all functions working. Right signal when turning right, reverse lights when backing up etc. Only the module is not waterproof. I just used a bit of CorosionX on it and it has been under water with the lights on.
The control box is kind of pointless on a crawler because most of them are designed to work on the throttle inputs of a double pump reverse setup not instant reverse with drag brake. My light setup actually ended up working like this:

-Let off throttle for drag brake = lights do nothing
-Reverse = brake lights come on
-Stop and reverse again = reverse lights come on

It got so annoying with the lights not matching the actual motions of the truck, I reconfigured the control box so they just stay on.

The blinker control is the worst of all, who has ever used a blinker while off roading? I'm going to make a left onto this rock to position my tire, better signal to alert other drivers.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The Associated kit was easy to install. basically drill 12 holes & put in the lights. On the Traxxas light kit, I was talking to Traxxas support about a "Traxxas Link" problem with the radio and He asked me if there was anything else I needed today....He said Traxxas engineers whipped up a set of lights for the photos & the Toy show. He was not aware of them currently working on a light kit. True story & He could be wrong.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

OneTooManyrc's light bar 5.5in black beauty will work on the outside exocage link Version 3 - Ghost Edition Light bar - SCX10 II, Wraith, Bomber, Summit, SCX10 | OnetoomanyRCs - Bringing Innovative RC products to Market.. the grill and others i heard they are working on a set not to much info out yet on it to my knowledge
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The control box is kind of pointless on a crawler because most of them are designed to work on the throttle inputs of a double pump reverse setup not instant reverse with drag brake. My light setup actually ended up working like this:

-Let off throttle for drag brake = lights do nothing
-Reverse = brake lights come on
-Stop and reverse again = reverse lights come on

It got so annoying with the lights not matching the actual motions of the truck, I reconfigured the control box so they just stay on.

The blinker control is the worst of all, who has ever used a blinker while off roading? I'm going to make a left onto this rock to position my tire, better signal to alert other drivers.

Eh, I'm still gonna configure mine to work with the blinkers etc. I realize nobody uses blinkers while crawling, but I think the idea of having the blinkers work for whichever direction you are traveling is cooler than not having them work at all or having them constantly on. I'm also going for reverse lights and brake lights etc. I watched a few youtube videos of actual defender 110's and determined I need more white lights for the headlights, front top/corner lights and reverse lights which I am in the process of acquiring now.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

You can get some great advice on here and it is most all given with best of intention. Having said that though you are the one who is gong to run the truck, so build it the way you want. That's what these little trucks are all about!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
You can get some great advice on here and it is most all given with best of intention. Having said that though you are the one who is gong to run the truck, so build it the way you want. That's what these little trucks are all about!

Ernie

Very, very true, and for the record, I hadn't meant to discount or make light of anyone's opinion at all. I thought a lot about what I wanted to do with this truck (mine) and felt the turn signals should be on it IMHO. I completely understand why some would think the turn signals should not be there and it makes sense from a crawling aspect, but it's just how I wanted it. I look forward to seeing what everyone does from a lighting standpoint so I can possibly get more ideas.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
Very, very true, and for the record, I hadn't meant to discount or make light of anyone's opinion at all. I thought a lot about what I wanted to do with this truck (mine) and felt the turn signals should be on it IMHO. I completely understand why some would think the turn signals should not be there and it makes sense from a crawling aspect, but it's just how I wanted it. I look forward to seeing what everyone does from a lighting standpoint so I can possibly get more ideas.
Me either, svt923 gives some great input on here and I and bet he thinks you should do it the way you want also. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:26 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Me either, svt923 gives some great input on here and I and bet he thinks you should do it the way you want also. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Ernie
Indeed, I wasn't trying to discourage anything (except 5.5+ inch tires on full body scale trucks, don't do that ). Just sharing my experience with the light kit did not match up to my expectations of how it would function.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I called Traxxas last week and the person I spoke to said it will definitely be worth the wait and said it should be soon. He could not talk about unreleased products. I was only able to confirm a light bar and the body lights and rock lights as we all suspect, he would not say if the rock lights and light bar would be separate from the body lights.
I'll definatly be waiting for Traxxas kit.
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Added some lights using the includes lenses and backing plates. Didn't need to mod a thing which was great. Fully waterproof and seriously bright on 3S.

It was actually 15 minutes before it was dark and the phone made it look quite light.

I was really impressed with how it turned out and how much light they put out considering there is just two LEDs per headlight.

I just need a wide light bar for the rack now and to wire up some rock lights under the guards.

CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Lighting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting Q WesTX Electronics 3 02-25-2015 11:03 AM
serious lighting for R/C YYCADM Electronics 8 09-12-2011 10:31 AM
Lighting nvradtec Electronics 4 09-01-2011 07:09 AM
Lighting???? hbrogan57 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 01-17-2010 04:54 AM
Lighting Help JEEPTJ General Crawlers 0 05-14-2006 08:58 PM