Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #41
KMS
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

I say the same thing about Winches ,,Sometimes they are more work than wanted , and think why couldn't I come up with something easier to make and sell ,,LOL ,, My choice I guess , If I want to play need to work,,,
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
I say the same thing about Winches ,,Sometimes they are more work than wanted , and think why couldn't I come up with something easier to make and sell ,,LOL ,, My choice I guess , If I want to play need to work,,,
Yes, it falls into the ol saying "Until you've walked a mile in my shoes....." I have built several servo winches, I know what it takes to put one together. I think it comes down to some of the guys aren't really aware of what your time is worth to you and how much of it you're spending putting together a product, what ever it is. And we have all been programed to look for a bargin, so we want to get something as cheaply as we can! Quality hand made produce are not made cheaply, so we need to pay for the value.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-09-2017 at 02:25 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Here are a few more steps needed to a completed knuckle weight. Sorry if this is boring to some of you.

This is how they look after I finish the step of cutting the donuts from the brass stock.

Ready to go to the lathe to be cleaned up and sized.

Sized for a 1.8 ID wheel.

After they are all sized they go into the drilling jig for mounting holes. Each weight has three discs to be drilled. After I'm done drilling all of them, they will go back to the drill press and have the centers remove with a hole saw.

So moral to the story, because I'm retired and want to stay that way. This isn't a business for me, but more of a service for some of you that wanted knuckle weights. I have put a week into design and I have been working two days on six sets. I realize with the price these are not going to be for everyone! Those of you that have seen the quality that goes into my Ascender and Losi axle modifications can be assured that these have the same quality. So having said all of that with time equity I have to put into these and what I need to charge concerns me so these may be the only six sets I do, other than for a few of my buddies.
Ernie

Not boring whatsoever. It's pure art what you can do with raw materials, Ernie. Well done sir!
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM   #44
KMS
Rock Crawler

Ernie ,,, you got some of my hard earned $$$$$.... Senior Discount ..LOL
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #45
KMS
Rock Crawler

No sense in starting a thread of my own as this is where most guys will come to see + & - about CodyBoy ,,,Brass Knucks,,, .am using Vanquish 1.9 Method 105 wheels ,,I recently bought a set Brass Knucks and they are nice ,,yes look good,, I mounted them on my TRX-4 lined up good and fit tight. Ran in to a problem with having 350 hubs ,not wide enough ,Stock wheels fit and turned great ,I removed the outer Brass weight counter sunk the holes . there was a slight rub on the outer face of Knucks Not bad just a little tick ,Took off 0.20 and fixed the rub , I have ordered some Brass Portal covers so I will be doing both just wanted to get these on before and run them some to see the difference,,
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #46

I got them installed today and gave it a test run over this mound of rocks. There's a particular section that ALWAYS flips the truck and with these weights it helps keep the wheel down just enough.

Great set up of wheel weights by far!! It also fits the stock plastic wheels.

For anyone getting these, they're awesome. I came across minor fitment issues (probably 1/3rd - 1/10th of a MM in different areas), but quickly resolved them by clipping the plastic fin(s) off of the portal cover and filing it down a little in specific areas. Doing so does NOT harm the structural integrity of the portal cover.

Ernie, thanks again!
djkaosone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

These look great Cody. Do you have any measurements or a template you could share for those wanting to try to make their own? I just picked my trx up yesterday and the front end is in Dire need of some weight down low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSafety View Post
These look great Cody. Do you have any measurements or a template you could share for those wanting to try to make their own? I just picked my trx up yesterday and the front end is in Dire need of some weight down low.

Thanks Captain safety, If you go back to post #41 I show most all the steps to how I put these together. The materials I use is 1/4" and 1/8" thick 360 brass sheets 2"x 5'.
All you need is a drill press, dremel and a lathe. The last time I gave detailed instructions on how I build a product a major manufacture of crawler parts took it and started building parts as their own.
So look at all the photos, get some brass (I buy mine from online metals) http://www.onlinemetals.com/ and have some fun!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-16-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks Captain safety, If you go back to post #41 I show most all the steps to how I put these together. The materials I use is 1/4" and 1/8" thick 360 brass sheets 2"x 5'.
All you need is a drill press, dremel and a lathe. The last time I gave detailed instructions on how I build a product a major manufacture of crawler parts took it and started building parts as their own.
So look at all the photos, get some brass (I buy mine from online metals) http://www.onlinemetals.com/ and have some fun!
Ernie
Thanks. Good work.

CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Awesome work on those Brass Knuckle weights. Dependent upon the price and if you even have anymore I might be interested in a set for my rig.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
Awesome work on those Brass Knuckle weights. Dependent upon the price and if you even have anymore I might be interested in a set for my rig.
Hey malickie, thanks for the kind words, I have one set that is pending right now, and if they don't sell you would be next in line. I'm still on the fence about doing anymore. They are so much work and if I were doing them as a business I wouldn't for sure!!! But I really like tinkering in my shop. I guess it would depend the interest from you guys! You can PM me for the price if you'd like.
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
No sense in starting a thread of my own as this is where most guys will come to see + & - about CodyBoy ,,,Brass Knucks,,, .am using Vanquish 1.9 Method 105 wheels ,,I recently bought a set Brass Knucks and they are nice ,,yes look good,, I mounted them on my TRX-4 lined up good and fit tight. Ran in to a problem with having 350 hubs ,not wide enough ,Stock wheels fit and turned great ,I removed the outer Brass weight counter sunk the holes . there was a slight rub on the outer face of Knucks Not bad just a little tick ,Took off 0.20 and fixed the rub , I have ordered some Brass Portal covers so I will be doing both just wanted to get these on before and run them some to see the difference,,
Thanks for the input Bob, I helps, I may just be trying to get my tolerances a little to tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkaosone View Post
I got them installed today and gave it a test run over this mound of rocks. There's a particular section that ALWAYS flips the truck and with these weights it helps keep the wheel down just enough.

Great set up of wheel weights by far!! It also fits the stock plastic wheels.

For anyone getting these, they're awesome. I came across minor fitment issues (probably 1/3rd - 1/10th of a MM in different areas), but quickly resolved them by clipping the plastic fin(s) off of the portal cover and filing it down a little in specific areas. Doing so does NOT harm the structural integrity of the portal cover.

Ernie, thanks again!
Thanks for the info, you guys really help me out in improving the quality of these.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Default Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

Quote:
Hey malickie, thanks for the kind words, I have one set that is pending right now, and if they don't sell you would be next in line. I'm still on the fence about doing anymore. They are so much work and if I were doing them as a business I wouldn't for sure!!! But I really like tinkering in my shop. I guess it would depend the interest from you guys! You can PM me for the price if you'd like.

Ernie

Thanks for the input Bob, I helps, I may just be trying to get my tolerances a little to tight.

Thanks for the info, you guys really help me out in improving the quality of these.

I installed my weights yesterday and had absolutely zero issues. They went on as instructed with enough room for the portal covers as well. I used a teeny tiny dab of shoe goo on the screws and they stayed nice and snug.

Now, today I was able to take the truck out for a hike/crawl and was very satisfied. I was able to get up some inclines that the others with me weren't able to. You could clearly see that my front end was staying planted while their rigs were flipping backward. My buddy had an ascender, which is a very capable rig, that I know would have made it up the same rocks but he clearly needed a bit more weight up front.

On a side note, another guy there had a trx with some other weights that looked like faux brake discs (not sure what brand etc.) and said the CODYBOY weights I had were significantly heavier.

Thanks Ernie! The weights worked out nicely!

EDIT: Just a photo to add. If you look closely at the driver side wheel, you'll see the weight. I won't be removing them anytime soon, I'll yell ya that.

Last edited by CR4NK; 07-16-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:50 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
I installed my weights yesterday and had absolutely zero issues. They went on as instructed with enough room for the portal covers as well. I used a teeny tiny dab of shoe goo on the screws and they stayed nice and snug.

Now, today I was able to take the truck out for a hike/crawl and was very satisfied. I was able to get up some inclines that the others with me weren't able to. You could clearly see that my front end was staying planted while their rigs were flipping backward. My buddy had an ascender, which is a very capable rig, that I know would have made it up the same rocks but he clearly needed a bit more weight up front.

On a side note, another guy there had a trx with some other weights that looked like faux brake discs (not sure what brand etc.) and said the CODYBOY weights I had were significantly heavier.

Thanks Ernie! The weights worked out nicely!
Hey Cr4nk, thanks for the update, glad you could notice the difference in how your TRX4 handled!
Tell your ascender buddy that I make a nice weight set up for his truck, and could improve his steering to almost 65 degrees. He can find me in the ascender section.
I just sold my last set of TRX4 weights, so how about it guys should I order some more brass and do another run?
Ernie
Old 07-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hey Cr4nk, thanks for the update, glad you could notice the difference in how your TRX4 handled!

Tell your ascender buddy that I make a nice weight set up for his truck, and could improve his steering to almost 65 degrees. He can find me in the ascender section.

I just sold my last set of TRX4 weights, so how about it guys should I order some more brass and do another run?

Ernie

Yeah, it was definitely noticeable. There was no bouncing or stuttering when attempting to go up a steep rock/incline. It just grabbed and climbed. I also have a 9T pinion in the rig so it is a bit slower, possibly with a bit more control, but the weights definitely made an improvement without a doubt.

I'll be sure to pass along the info to my boy with the ascender.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #55

Quote:

Ernie

I'd like a set.

What do I need to do?
Cost?

Thanks
HOLLYWOOD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

PM sent
Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #57

Ernie what steering servo are you using on the trx and did you put a bec on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crawlerRmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

also interested in a pair
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:45 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerRmy View Post
Ernie what steering servo are you using on the trx and did you put a bec on it]

I switch to a Hitec 7950, and you probably don't need a BEC for all servos, but they are good insurance against voltage brown outs. So yep all my rigs have Becs. This servo will work great with your TRX4 also, a little cheaper. *
Hitec HS-7954SH High-Voltage Ultra-Torque Universal Servo

Our Price: $82.99
At RC Superstore

Product Code: HRC37954S
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
also interested in a pair
Thanks for the interest, I will post up when I do another batch.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #60

Ernie I received my codyboy axle weights today as we discussed earlier awesome fit and finish still running stock wheels so no clearance issues I will let you know once I get it in the rocks thanks again

crawlerRmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Codyboy Designs "Northwest Express" Bud CODYBOY 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-01-2018 03:04 PM
Codyboy Designs "How'd you do that"? CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 60 04-12-2017 08:53 PM
Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy" Bulldog 2.2 Scale Rigs 88 03-30-2016 07:59 AM