Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

For you guys that are on the waiting list for second run, I'm done so check your PM for more info.

I'm waiting on back ordered material for the next run. They have been going pretty quick, I already have names on that list so if you would like to try these, PM me. These could be the last of them if CaptainSafety comes up with a good design, I know he is working on them for you guys.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

that feeling when you thought you were on the list, but didn't get a pm.. that feeling is devastated :(

lol
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
that feeling when you thought you were on the list, but didn't get a pm.. that feeling is devastated :(

lol
Sorry if I missed you!!! PM me and we will see what we can work out!
Ernie
Old 07-31-2017, 05:32 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

When you get caught up with those orders I want you to build the first aftermarket bumpers lol. You rock!
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

A little more info on building the TRX-4 weights.

From this!!

Too this!!!

In three days!!!

Next run starting next week.

Ernie
Old 08-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #86
Rock Stacker

so much want... :drool:
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #87

Had my trx out over the weekend with the group of guys I run with one other guy has trx in are group the codyboy weights made a huge difference between the two trucks his even had different tires and some shock changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crawlerRmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
so much want... :drool:
Ok ubernewb, I have sent you a few PMs about the weights and answered your PM to me. If I don't here back that you want the set I have for you, I'm going to move on to the next person on the waiting list, Sorry.
Ernie
Old 08-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

For those that have not ordered these yet. Jump on it before he stops making them. Just got mine yesterday very nice!
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

I'm really impressed with how good the knuckle weights look (just got my set), very professional even the packaging, I can see just how much goes into these now.

I know what its like to make little boutique projects for myself and usually the though a making more never seem like something I'd really want to do. So I just want to send out a big thank You to Codyboy, what you offered up is just awesome and so generous.

I cant wait try them out this evening!

EDIT: well I picked the wrong set of wheels to put these under, they were Gmade wheels. they're roughly 1/8" too small on ther inside and not dished enough to accept the whole weight

I thought this could happen, oh well somebody's gonna get a deal. I considered modifying the weight briefly but I'll have to take up your wheel recommendation, I just wanted a retro looking wheel.

I tried out my stock wheels and they rub a tiny bit but I did find a set that work from RC4WD I just have to swap tires and foams.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-04-2017 at 10:06 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matador View Post
For those that have not ordered these yet. Jump on it before he stops making them. Just got mine yesterday very nice!
Thanks for the kind Words, and your right, I'm sure this 3rd run will be the last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'm really impressed with how good the knuckle weights look (just got my set), very professional even the packaging, I can see just how much goes into these now.

I know what its like to make little boutique projects for myself and usually the though a making more never seem like something I'd really want to do. So I just want to send out a big thank You to Codyboy, what you offered up is just awesome and so generous.

I cant wait try them out this evening!

EDIT: well I picked the wrong set of wheels to put these under, they were Gmade wheels. they're roughly 1/8" too small on ther inside and not dished enough to accept the whole weight

I thought this could happen, oh well somebody's gonna get a deal. I considered modifying the weight briefly but I'll have to take up your wheel recommendation, I just wanted a retro looking wheel.

I tried out my stock wheels and they rub a tiny bit but I did find a set that work from RC4WD I just have to swap tires and foams.
Thanks for the update, sorry your wheels don't fit. I designed these to add as much weight as possible and some wheels just aren't going to work.
My wife and I strive for the best quality we can offer, so thanks for noticing that and the pat on the back!
Ernie

Now, time for a little update on my TRX-4.
I hate programming and wiring electronics

Waterproofed my 8 channel RX, yep, switching to my GT3C. Now I can run my lockers how ever I want them, run my winch, and have two channels for lights!

I decided to do some rear weights, I can offer these at a little less cost than the fronts, of coarse the portal covers will not be included.

Some new shocks, I think Traxxas big bores are the smoothest shock you can buy for the money. Thanks for carrying these Erik!

Why the green, my favorite color, and I'm a University of Oregon fan!
Thanks for looking!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 08-05-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Very cool, It does seem like a big plunge to take to stock receiver out but it must be worth it once done.

I'd love to hear how it works out and what the difficulty level is.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Very cool, It does seem like a big plunge to take to stock receiver out but it must be worth it once done.

I'd love to hear how it works out and what the difficulty level is.
I started a run of front and rear weights this week so not quite as much time to finish up the transition, I will keep you posted. Once you try the gt3c radio I don't think you would go back to another radio. This is a case of CHEAP doesn't mean inferior! Hacked, you can't by a better radio for the price!

The waiting list for the last run of weights is growing fast. I think other venders are seeing the need for these so you guys don't need me making anymore after this run!
Ernie
Old 08-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #94
KMS
Rock Crawler

Yea but you will always be the Master ,Glad I got mine already ...
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Default Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

Glad I got mine. These CODYBOY weights along with the MFR portal covers, AMW brass shock spring retainers and korean noname brass 12mm hexes should put enough weight down low to keep this bitch planted like a root lol

Last edited by CR4NK; 08-07-2017 at 08:37 PM.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Time for another little update. There is a good discussion in the micro servo thread about what will work. So I thought it was time for me to contribute to TRX-4 upgrades.
A few weeks ago I ordered some micro servos, and I'm a Hitec guy all the way.
The ones I ordered are 1 HS-5065MG and 2 HS-65MGs. They are all metal gears, 30.5 OZ in of torque (traxxas on is 32 OZ in) and almost exact match in size to the 2065. One thing they aren't is a match in the spline count, so the 2065 servo savor will not fit them. Since I'm using my GTC3 radio that should not be a problem, I can set my end points and fine tune the trim to where the servo will not bind or load up when the truck is sitting still.
Since I'm in the process of changing over my electronics I thought this would be a good time to try the 5065 on the 2 speed shifter.
You can see how I had to trim the mounting ears and enlarge the hole so a 3mm screw would fit.

I had to switch to socket head screws for clearance at the servo.

That was the only mods I needed to do to get it to fit.

I used the first hole on the servo arm and a shock mount ball end from my Losi micro crawler spare parts (I need a little taller stand off) and it fit right into the stock ball cup.

I reset my end points, fine tuned that with the gt3c sub trim and it works great, no buzzing and the servo stayed cool to the touch! Now that I know they work, I'll probably wait until the stock servos go out on the lockers before I replace them.

Next little project I did was pull my tranny/transfer case apart to check and grease. I put some powdered graphite on the two speed sliders and locks.

While I had it apart I decided that brass 3mm inserts will make the three tranny mount hole a whole lot stronger.

I did the same thing for the motor mount/ spur gear cover.
All for now, thanks for looking.
Ernie
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #97
clm
Quarry Creeper

Oooh, I do like those inserts. Makes wear and tear on plastic threads much less worrisome.

Edit: Hey Ernie, I know you are one of the people on the Hacked Flysky bandwagon. Is there a menu map for this thing anywhere? I just flashed the bios of my new GTX3 this weekend and, well, the manual I was able to find is a bit difficult to decipher.

Last edited by clm; 08-07-2017 at 09:36 PM.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Oooh, I do like those inserts. Makes wear and tear on plastic threads much less worrisome.

Edit: Hey Ernie, I know you are one of the people on the Hacked Flysky bandwagon. Is there a menu map for this thing anywhere? I just flashed the bios of my new GTX3 this weekend and, well, the manual I was able to find is a bit difficult to decipher.
I don't know much about the GTX3, but I don't think it can be hacked. Losikid could probably answer any questions you have for it. Sorry, I was very much help.
And I have been using those inserts for 2 and 3mm screws since I bought my first XR10. They are great!
Ernie
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #99
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I don't know much about the GTX3, but I don't think it can be hacked. Losikid could probably answer any questions you have for it. Sorry, I was very much help.
And I have been using those inserts for 2 and 3mm screws since I bought my first XR10. They are great!
Ernie
Turnigy GTX3 hacked just like the Flysky GT3b... aside from swanky curved outer case it is the same radio. I did it at the same time as I hacked my friends Flysky. Now I am just working on figuring out the cryptic menu. (along with what to do with all these freakin extra 40pin header strips... 20x40 pin strips.. used 2 sections of 4 each heh)

Last edited by clm; 08-07-2017 at 10:09 PM.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
Turnigy GTX3 hacked just like the Flysky GT3b... aside from swanky curved outer case it is the same radio. I did it at the same time as I hacked my friends Flysky. Now I am just working on figuring out the cryptic menu. (along with what to do with all these freakin extra 40pin header strips... 20x40 pin strips.. used 2 sections of 4 each heh)
Check this guy out on youtube, he has some tutorials on the hacked GT3b and c. "Setting up a hacked Flysky GT3c for a Traxxas TRX4 truck". it will help you understand how to move around in the menu, I used it to set up my radio.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 08-07-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Codyboy Designs "Northwest Express" Bud CODYBOY 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-01-2018 03:04 PM
Codyboy Designs "How'd you do that"? CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 60 04-12-2017 08:53 PM
Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy" Bulldog 2.2 Scale Rigs 88 03-30-2016 07:59 AM