Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG"

Thanks Ernie, will go do some Youtube fishing
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #102
RCC Addict

Great thread ernie! Beautiful work on the weights. Don't even own one of these trucks but I'm sucked into this thread. Keep it up.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Turnigy GTX3 hacked just like the Flysky GT3b... aside from swanky curved outer case it is the same radio. I did it at the same time as I hacked my friends Flysky. Now I am just working on figuring out the cryptic menu. (along with what to do with all these freakin extra 40pin header strips... 20x40 pin strips.. used 2 sections of 4 each heh)
Message exocaged on here. He is the one who made the YouTube videos.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
Message exocaged on here. He is the one who made the YouTube videos.

Thanks for the info Case, he does a great job walking you through each step!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

I just wanted to comment on a action a moderator took on here just recently.
A member had started a thread about sharing info for building up grades for the TRX-4, which I think was a great thread! Very informative and he has some great ideas as well as the ideas of those who shared their info. Well, it was removed because the person broke the rules about mentioning sales of a product in his thread. Should the whole thread have been deleted, in my opinion I don't think so, but it was. In all fairness to the few mods that donate their time to trying to keep this site running smooth, rules are rules. The way this person worded his post was a indication that he knew he was crossing a very thin line, and at the time I thought he shouldn't have done that!
So a word of advise for those who have a product that maybe would help your TRX-4 buddies, buy a venders star! $100 is not a bad deal. I'm retired, I don't have a venders store on here, so my products here and in the ascender section are sold by word of mouth advertisement. In the last two years I have paid for my blue star 300 fold just with 4 or 5 products.
Having said that I hope the mods will see fit to restore the portion of the thread that wasn't breaking the rules, it was very helpful!
Ernie
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #106
KMS
Rock Crawler

It used to be worse , I was selling my winches threw a Vendor on here and ran into problems just answering questions , But I agree with the rules . Buy a star and sell ,,aint that hard.
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

I really love this thread Codyboy;have I told you lately ? Where can I find those inserts and a quality fastener assortment? Great hack on the shift servo
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap84 View Post
I really love this thread Codyboy;have I told you lately ? Where can I find those inserts and a quality fastener assortment? Great hack on the shift servo
Thank you for the kind words young man!!
Here you go.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/94510A030

After your in McMasters, type in Stainless steel screws to find different fasteners sizes
Ernie
Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

So I've had a chance to run the portal weights for a while now along with the SSD d-hole wheels that clear them. The wheels they replaced were quite a bit heavier (2 lbs for all 4), but I had gotten to a point where I'd added all the weight it needed or a bit too much maybe. So the lighter wheels along with sticking weight where its needed was a welcome improvement, I'm quite pleased with its performance.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
SSD wheels are much improved over any set of 2 pound wheels! WOW, that was a lot of rotating mass! Agreed, Ernie's weights and good metal beadlocks work very well!
Yeah I was in denial of the laws of physics a bit, though it is an easy way to add weight down low.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 AM   #111
Pebble Pounder

Codyboy,any issues with gear mesh? Mine is either too tight or too loose with 9,10,or 11T.Not trying to monkey up your awesome thread,but I wanted to get it out there for maximum feedback. Thought you might could recommend a talented machinist to fab us an alloy motor plate. I know your plate is full,but ......jus sayin' . I don't see needing any adjustment above an 11T,as top speed has never been lacking lol. Your thoughts please
Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Codyboy,any issues with gear mesh? Mine is either too tight or too loose with 9,10,or 11T.Not trying to monkey up your awesome thread,but I wanted to get it out there for maximum feedback. Thought you might could recommend a talented machinist to fab us an alloy motor plate. I know your plate is full,but ......jus sayin' . I don't see needing any adjustment above an 11T,as top speed has never been lacking lol. Your thoughts please
I hear your concerns, I'm running a HH Stubby 2700 puller with a 9 tooth and it seams to be working fine. No heat problems, so I haven't given it much thought. I could give it a little time and thought and see what I could come up with. NO promises!
I'm headed up to see a friend tomorrow, (Kelly Lunsford owner of Lunsford Titanium) to run some ideas by him on my weights. I will draw something up and see what he thinks. My problem is not having the right tools to a large production run and most drivers on here aren't willing to pay the price for quality products. All they see is the price and don't consider at all the time venders put into the design of parts. Because of the Chinese market the sale of my weights have dropped way off. I think the biggest problem for new design on here is that people aren't loyal to the venders dedication to try and come up with design for a small market. For me being retired, I'm not relying on my parts to make a living, but some are! And our time is money, or time away from family!
OK, off my soap box, I'll see what I can come up with.
Ernie
Old 08-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #113
Pebble Pounder

Agreed and thank you. Sick of working on this or servos constantly. I don't mind paying top$ for top quality-you get what you pay for. Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Agreed and thank you. Sick of working on this or servos constantly. I don't mind paying top$ for top quality-you get what you pay for. Safe travels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So my conclusion on designing a new motor mount is that it is above my shop capabilities. What I'm thinking is to order another motor mount and very carefully open up a slot between the a and b holes (or b and c) on each screw and then see how the motor will hold it's adjustment on the mount.
For someone who has a CNC or mill it would be a lot easier for them to build.
Sorry, best my little pea brain can do.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #115
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
So my conclusion on designing a new motor mount is that it is above my shop capabilities. What I'm thinking is to order another motor mount and very carefully open up a slot between the a and b holes (or b and c) on each screw and then see how the motor will hold it's adjustment on the mount.
For someone who has a CNC or mill it would be a lot easier for them to build.
Sorry, best my little pea brain can do.
Sounds good Codyboy. I've shelved the trx 4 for a while till the after market eeks out a few parts. Went back to work on the 10.2 .The Traxxas is a donor vehicle for now
Old 08-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Are you guys shredding spurs or what should I be looking out for with motor twist? My gears look pretty good so far I have to say not much wear at all
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #117
RCC Addict

I have had zero trouble with the pinion and spur gear. I went to a 9 tooth pinion and installed a HR aluminum mount plate. No issues with the motor moving and gear mesh is just about perfect.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Ok guys, I have a few more pair of weights ready to go down the road.

And doing some rear weights now. These are now made of five stackable discs that can be added or remove to counter your weight bias. Less see if china will copy this one!

Last edited by CODYBOY; 08-28-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #119
clm
Quarry Creeper

Man, I would love some of those but money is just not their right now. Still paying off the TRX and saving for a new servo. They are quite nice looking!
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post

And doing some rear weights now. These are now made of five stackable discs that can be added or remove to counter your weight bias. Less see if china will copy this one!
Dang, my 3 plate ones are already out of date.....

wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Codyboy Rebuilds His TRX4 "BULLDOG" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 280 06-04-2018 10:09 AM
Codyboy Designs "Northwest Express" Bud CODYBOY 1.9 Scale Rigs 60 01-01-2018 03:04 PM
Codyboy Designs "How'd you do that"? CODYBOY Vaterra Ascender 60 04-12-2017 08:53 PM
Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy" Bulldog 2.2 Scale Rigs 88 03-30-2016 07:59 AM