RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   new2rocks Guide to the TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/586114-new2rocks-guide-trx-4-a.html)

svt923 05-09-2019 11:17 AM

Re: new2rocks Guide to the TRX-4

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashNSlash (Post 5933538)
I'm having a hard time visualizing this - does someone have a photo of how this is done? I'd like to see if lowering the ride height will help with stability on my Defender (without replacing the shocks).

See the limiter label on this diagram, works the same on all shocks.

https://joranbooth.files.wordpress.c...schematic2.jpg

BashNSlash 05-09-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5933542)
See the limiter label on this diagram, works the same on all shocks.

https://joranbooth.files.wordpress.c...schematic2.jpg

Awesome! Thanks!

Browneye 06-06-2019 11:30 AM

Just found this thread - great info on the TRX4 chassis and drivetrain. "thumbsup"

Can you comment on motor choice for TRX4 Sport? Does it have the same reduction as the Defender and others?

I had two motors on hand, a Crawlmaster Expert 16T and a Trailmaster 550 21T (it might be a 27T - I always forget to account for the bigger can).
Stock gearing currently, but I probly have some other pinions hanging around.
I ended up installing the Crawlmaster and it runs real nice on 2s, a little fast on 3s, but have not tried the latter in the rocks.

Did I miss the boat using the bigger but cheaper motor? Sure easy to change out.

crawlerjunkie 03-06-2020 08:14 AM

Has anyone had a problem with the exposed portal bearings coming out? had my trx4 for a few years... it's a kit.

JatoTheRipper 03-06-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlerjunkie (Post 6002807)
Has anyone had a problem with the exposed portal bearings coming out? had my trx4 for a few years... it's a kit.

I'm not sure what you mean by exposed portal bearing, but I've never had any fall out. Are you sure you have the correct size bearing installed there?

Summitonslingrs 03-06-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 6002809)
I'm not sure what you mean by exposed portal bearing, but I've never had any fall out. Are you sure you have the correct size bearing installed there?

I think he is talking about the bearing that would go in the circled area. The one side is exposed. Can't see it falling out if the three tiny screws are in place.

https://i.imgur.com/d5eCtdrm.jpg

crawlerjunkie 03-07-2020 08:02 PM

Has anyone been having issues with the stock diff lock servos stripping inside?

Ptex 04-04-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlerjunkie (Post 6003098)

I hav heard of this happening occasionally. I came across this issue during research on which crawler to purchase. It was mentioned on one of the RC REVIEWS YouTube videos, and he has several trx-4's. But it appears to be a less common failure.
I am a noob with no rock crawler.... just so you are aware.

new2rocks 04-05-2020 08:58 AM

new2rocks Guide to the TRX-4

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlerjunkie (Post 6003098)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptex (Post 6010566)
I hav heard of this happening occasionally. I came across this issue during research on which crawler to purchase. It was mentioned on one of the RC REVIEWS YouTube videos, and he has several trx-4's. But it appears to be a less common failure.

I am a noob with no rock crawler.... just so you are aware.

The Traxxas sub-micro servos have plastic gears and can be a bit delicate. Blue Bird and EcoPower have metal gear sub-micro servos that bolt in and are much stronger. That said, I haven’t lost a shift/diff lock servo yet on my 2 primary TRX-4s.

Uncle Pete 07-30-2020 12:35 PM

What type of grease is needed please.

2. Check the diff, tranny and transfer case gears for grease. Greasing from the factory in early production models has been hit or miss, which isn't uncommon with RTRs.
Cases shouldn't be packed with grease, but there should be enough grease to give the gears a nice, full coating.

Thank you, Uncle Pete

Benp 08-01-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pete (Post 6037366)
What type of grease is needed please.

2. Check the diff, tranny and transfer case gears for grease. Greasing from the factory in early production models has been hit or miss, which isn't uncommon with RTRs.
Cases shouldn't be packed with grease, but there should be enough grease to give the gears a nice, full coating.

Thank you, Uncle Pete

Uncle Pete,

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease and a hobby paint brush as an applicator.

For the price point, I’ll have RC grease for a long time.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c90001aeab.jpg

Jeff6x6 08-02-2020 12:35 PM

Grease just the gears and not the T-lock that engages and disengages the lockers.

JonnyUK 01-23-2021 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 (Post 6037834)
Grease just the gears and not the T-lock that engages and disengages the lockers.

What's the issue with greasing the diff T lock?
I greased them plenty on both of ours and had no problems so far.

23drumerboy 07-23-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clm (Post 5734208)
A potential tip for the TRX-4 is a pack of 5 futaba servo extensions, wire them in then seal your radio box from water. Make sure you label them! It should make maintenance on the truck quicker and easier while maintaining the water resistance of your receiver box.

I currently have a pack of 100mm ones on the way to me.

Ive had my Sport for over a year, and somehow JUST caught this 2017 thread?!
This comment???!!??!

My MAN!, THIS is one of the golden friggin eggs of this forum!! Needs to be brought to front/top/center and MADE A DANG STICKY! I cannnnnottttt count the # of times ive had to crack-open/re-crack-open, the darn Rx box!! Infuriating when multi-times-a day...(accidentally factory reset transmitter upon picking it up/switching on), aux ch. Switch-installs-gone-wrong/NOT labeled, rather...'memorized'...[emoji6][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1743][emoji135][emoji1751]

Brings me to next ?

Anyone know a RELIABLE/WATER/WEATHER-PROOF means of labeling RX box cables??? Maybe not like laminated post-it notes...but clean, clear, discreet ways??

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!

durok 01-23-2022 09:37 PM

Adding this link as we have had wheel mounting issues cropping up a lot recently:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...ment-info.html

IMHO, the link itself is worthy of being stickied, but whatever..."thumbsup"

GTABurnout 04-09-2022 10:39 AM

I have a 2021 Bronco, I find it lacking in performance. I have been doing what I can to make it work better. Has anyone been spending any time working with the "new" bronco. I know alot can transfer over but there is some differences that can be looked at.

cooltone 04-14-2022 10:23 AM

As an FYI, these are the pin outs on the Pro Scaleฎ Advanced Lighting Control System on the chassis mounted power module if you want to connect additional chassis mounted lights

1 – Headlights Low - “G”
2 - Headlights High– “G”
3 – AUX Low - “M”
4 – AUX High - “M”
5 – Parking Lights “C” + “G”
6 – Brake – “C”
7 – Daytime Running Lights – “N”
8 - Reverse – “A”
9 – Left Blinker
10 - Left Blinker
11 - Right Blinker
12 - Right Blinker

BREL 12-09-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2rocks (Post 5732809)
those are RC4WD deep dish wheels inside out, and they work great.
With that and a washer to cover the 6mm portion of the stub, the fit is spot on. "thumbsup"

love this guide, I'm going to have to reverse my hubs now to see if it improves the side hilling of my TRX4 Defender, I used the bushing instead of a washer, that Tamiya stick in their 14th scale trucks instead of ball races

BREL 12-09-2022 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23drumerboy (Post 6088274)
Anyone know a RELIABLE/WATER/WEATHER-PROOF means of labeling RX box cables??? Maybe not like laminated post-it notes...but clean, clear, discreet ways??

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!

have you thought of colour coding the with different coloured heat shrink tubing on them