Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Stock electronics on 3s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Stock electronics on 3s?

I just switched out my stock esc to a hw 1080 quicrun, still runnin the 550 stock motor, couple adjustments with the program card, been runnin 3cell lipo all the time now ,motor barely gets warm, running the hw 1080 in my scx.2 an my wraith also for over a year now, very tough dependable esc I gotta say. run the trx esc till it fries or pull it out for a backup, an go to the wh 1080, you will like your trx a little bit more.
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgma View Post
But the RPM varies. Are you talking Max RPM? Then why are the motors rated in kV like Castle Creations? Why don't they just state the kW/W and Max RPM? I guess they do states how many poles it is so that tells us. Just curious because AC and DC electric motors again for residential, commercial and industrial usage are sold in watts/kW/HP and RPM.
Kv is better because you do volts x kv = desired max rpm

A 2000kv motor might have a max rpm of 80,000 but you'd need a lot of volts to get it there. If you use a 3s lipo on it then it's 2000kv x (approx) 11.1v = 22,200rpm which is plenty for something like a rock crawler.
If you were wanting the same rpm but were only going to run 2s lipo, you'd opt for a 3000kv motor instead to achieve the same desired rpm, at lower volts.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

For sure though there are plenty of guys that go and buy the Castle fan for a castle ESC and likely the same type of blokes that will get a Traxxas fan for a Traxxas ESC simply because they think they'll fit or work better!

I stand by my comment though; the stock ESC is very under spec'd so grab a HW WP 80...I sure did! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
to buy a $15-20 ESC fan who is paying that much?
u don't need an special esc fan.... get a cpu fan in the size not more than 2$ or open your old unused pc
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Ya'll are making my head spin. I hear so many different opinions on motor/esc upgrades. I would like to see a poll of what the most popular combo is for slow crawing.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

For slow crawling easy: stock or Holmes 550 can brushed motor with a HW WP 80. This setup is so controllable and smooth in my TRX4. You can't beat a brushed motor for smoothness and startup/slow creep.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
For slow crawling easy: stock or Holmes 550 can brushed motor with a HW WP 80. This setup is so controllable and smooth in my TRX4. You can't beat a brushed motor for smoothness and startup/slow creep.
Right! I have a 550 30t HH motor in mine and even with the stock XL5-HV its incredibly smooth and slow as shit. I have to slow crawl over the rocks I have the most access to due to their size/shape otherwise i'd recommend the 27T version I've had great experiences with Holmes and Hobbywing motors you won't make a bad choice.

Great thing with trx-4 and the fairly wide ratio 2spd. is I still have wheel speed when I need it and also for driving on the trail itself or easy sections.

I also recommend putting some time in with the stock setup before you buy anything, not only is it not that bad but it will help you figure out what you need/want to change about it

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 08-21-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Iagree just run the stock electrics till you feel the need to replace, the stock 550 aint that bad at all, the stock esc is ok, the steering servo is weak, good for a backup to get ya out of the woods, I still run the stock 550 motor an upgraded to the HW 1080 esc, nothing really failed on my trx electrics( except my radio took a dive ) oh an the steering servo I went with a tower pro 958.
fomoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Which waterproof front servo can I run without switching ESC? Just mount, plugin to the stock ESC (stock voltage), and go?
mobgma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

The issue is the 1A BEC; that is very much scraping the bottom in regards to what you can run without browning out the BEC.

Basically any half decent servo is going to max that out. Again, the HW 'only' has 3A but it's a very very solid 3A constant and 6A peak and has zero issues running multiple full sized servos. I'm running two Savox simultaneously on two of my trucks off that BEC with issue.

If you want a new servo you need to unfortunately bite the bullet and get a BEC or the HW.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobgma View Post
Which waterproof front servo can I run without switching ESC? Just mount, plugin to the stock ESC (stock voltage), and go?
If you run 3s you can get the shv500 from holmes hobbies. its wicked expensive but its a good one. I have mine plugged into the jst plug that sticks out of the stock xl5-hv esc. (its just an always hot connection to the battery). So the esc has no idea what the front servo is doing now and sees no load from it and it was all plug and play. But there is no using 7.4v or 6v with it you need higher (3 or 4s).
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

On the subject of the different motors and ESCs I just swapped in a Holmes Hobbies 12T Crawlmaster and a Holmes BR-XL ESC (waterproof). It took me a while to decide on the number of turns the motor should have since HH motors are always slower turn for turn. The 12T motor seems just a touch faster than stock. The low speed resolution is excellent. Having a much weaker drag brake is very helpful going downhill, much less front flips and I dont have to gas it to save myself as often (I've set it at 40%, their drag bake is stronger than most other motors). The ESC's silent mode is also great, some people love it, some could care less but I love the lack of whine. The ESC and motor both run very cool. I'm quite satisfied with the new combo.

I guess a higher turn motor might be interesting because you might end up with a wider range of adjustment for gearing, depending on heat. Stock its only able to drop down 2 teeth or so on the pinion, there's only one other spur gear available from Traxxas which is faster so options for going slower are slim while theres plenty of room to speed it up. So putting a slow motor in and gearing it up to match stock speeds should theoretically put the pinion size right in the middle of the transmissions adjustment range. From there you could go much slower or much faster giving a wider range of possible wheelspeeds. Just spit balling here, It might be interesting to have a super slow 2 speed or to at least test out.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock electronics on 3s? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3s on stock electronics? rockpunisher Electronics 4 04-14-2016 05:34 AM
3s on stock electronics? kikcaffine Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 03-09-2013 08:12 AM
3s on stock electronics??? Sheepdawg23wm Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 02-13-2013 05:54 PM
Stock electronics? abbott90 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 03-16-2009 10:16 PM
9.6 and stock electronics? b2bomber General Crawlers 8 09-26-2006 09:41 AM