Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Stock electronics on 3s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Stock electronics on 3s?

I just got my TRX4 and have only run it on 2s as I read somewhere people were blowing the motors on 3s. My question is how are the stock electronics holding up to 3s for the people running them?

Thanks
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Stock electronics on 3s?

have never heard of anyone having issues on 3s.. that's all i run in mine, and i've put a few dozen 5400mah packs thru it by now.
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've been running mine on 3s with no problems.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

All 3S here too and all good!

Edit, jumps hard rolls, stuffed into hillside airborne and mostly crawling lol.

Last edited by Natedog; 06-19-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
All 3S here too and all good!

Edit, jumps hard rolls, stuffed into hillside airborne.
Easy Nate, we want to be able to take them to Lake Mendocino in October!!!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i have been running mine on 2s and 3s, no issues on either. Even be using my winch on the factory spare JST ESC plug.
MD ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks to those who responded. 2S or 3S is OK ... is valuable information to those of us who are planning on getting the TRX-4.
MikeSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #8

2S mostly with a 3S in between, runs a little warmer but not by much
Kartooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

3s on mine with a 9 tooth pinion. The truck is happy so far after a couple packs. The stock servo is another story all together. It is hilariously underpowered.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Easy Nate, we want to be able to take them to Lake Mendocino in October!!!
Ernie
Yes, I've got some key spares already in hand a week ago, even though I don't think they're needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD ENFORCER View Post
i have been running mine on 2s and 3s, no issues on either. Even be using my winch on the factory spare JST ESC plug.
Good to know the ESC power out is decently spec'd. JRH said that he pluggged his high voltage servo direct to the same plug.

Edit: Yes steering servo has gotta go for real crawling, it's ok for trailing but that's it. I'm thinking another Hitec HS7950-TH with CCBEC.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

about that ccbec.. don't know if anyone else has put one in and ran into the same issue i did, but figured i'd share. when i installed mine like normal (remove red wire from esc plug at receiver, etc) all 3 little servos started geeking out. tried programming for different voltages, but nothing stopped them. ended up having to use a y harness for my savox 1230, with bec feeding power straight to it on one end of the y, and the red wire going back to the receiver removed from the other. servo now has the extra juice all to itself and the other servos went back to normal.
ubernewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the smaller servos aren't going to like big voltage, or even just better voltages. Even some of the better small servos still aren't at HV levels. It's a quick way to burn them out.

Best to let the ESC handle the BEC for those diff/shift servos and use the BEC to take care of everything else.

No issues here, always ran 3S. I did switch to a 10T pinion for trail use. Comp events I'd go with the 9T I bought.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The only problems i seen is people killing servos by getting them stuck in binds for too long,
Cooking motors by driving too reckless in high gear
And damaging the ESC by putting on high torque servos without a BEC

They seem as good as, if not better than most RTR stuff. Not great, but not bad either.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, I've got some key spares already in hand a week ago, even though I don't think they're needed.

Good to know the ESC power out is decently spec'd. JRH said that he pluggged his high voltage servo direct to the same plug.

Edit: Yes steering servo has gotta go for real crawling, it's ok for trailing but that's it. I'm thinking another Hitec HS7950-TH with CCBEC.
The side JST plug is direct power from the battery. It bypasses the ESC, as in as soon as plug the battery in, that plug has power.
MD ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I've put about 20ah through mine on 3s. No problems
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default Stock electronics on 3s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
And damaging the ESC by putting on high torque servos without a BEC

Please explain. I have a savox 2290 in mine and have gone on a few short runs without issues. What can I expect? What are the noticeable symptoms of having a high torque servo without a bec? I am sure 95% on the forum would say "you need a bec on your trx-4 if you have a high torque servo", but I honestly dont fully understand why if mine seems to be running okay.

Currently reading up on it in the electronics section but if someone wants to provide the "short and sweet" answer I would not mind. I've never really fully understood electronics and sometimes feel like I'm reading chinese lol. Again, thank you for the help.

Last edited by CR4NK; 06-21-2017 at 06:47 PM.
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #17
Jus
I wanna be Dave

The 21T Titan loves voltage, I've put lots of 4s packs through them in other trucks fed by a Brxl. Great motors and I'm glad Traxxas made the wise choice to equip the trx-4 with them.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:46 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR4NK View Post
Please explain. I have a savox 2290 in mine and have gone on a few short runs without issues. What can I expect? What are the noticeable symptoms of having a high torque servo without a bec? I am sure 95% on the forum would say "you need a bec on your trx-4 if you have a high torque servo", but I honestly dont fully understand why if mine seems to be running okay.

Currently reading up on it in the electronics section but if someone wants to provide the "short and sweet" answer I would not mind. I've never really fully understood electronics and sometimes feel like I'm reading chinese lol. Again, thank you for the help.
Your servos and receiver all draw their power from the built in BEC on the ESC.

A high torque servo will usually pull about 2amps or more (depending on the type) when stalled

The standard BEC on the TRX-4 is only 1 amp.

1 amp isn't a lot at all and in a truck with 4 servos you'll be close to that limit without upgrading the servo.

The sign a BEC is needed is usually when the steering / radio starts glitching and / or smoke starts to come out the ESC.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:55 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Your servos and receiver all draw their power from the built in BEC on the ESC.

A high torque servo will usually pull about 2amps or more (depending on the type) when stalled

The standard BEC on the TRX-4 is only 1 amp.

1 amp isn't a lot at all and in a truck with 4 servos you'll be close to that limit without upgrading the servo.

The sign a BEC is needed is usually when the steering / radio starts glitching and / or smoke starts to come out the ESC.

I see. So just because it runs okay now doesn't mean I'm not going to have glitching or see smoke from my esc later. I got it. I'm def. going to put an external bec in in that case. I was reading up in the elec. section about how to implement the bec install and will most likely try the holmes hobbies rx bypass setup.

I am still learning about the many facets involved in these trucks such as amp draw etc., so I really appreciate your patience and you taking the time out to explain that to me. Thanks Hardcoretam!
CR4NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Encouraged by this thread I went for my first trail drive using a 3s battery.

It was a standard length Venom 5000mah 40C but it's tall enough that I had to bend the battery holder fairly hard to get it to latch. However.. it did bend and it did not break. I put a piece of soft foam between battery and the latch to push the battery as far towards the front as possible which made it bend even more but it's better for weight distribution. I would not try this on a certain soft case batteries. I may end up just switching to velcro or something.

Not only did I get some sick trail footage out of the drive but my temps were down compared to 2s... wayyy down!

I had posted a thread in the Traxxas crawler section here, but basically before my esc was around 130F now its was at 122F. on 2s my motor was in the low 120s now it was 94F! I thought my temp gun was broken.. I put my hand all over the motor..it really was only in the 90s. And I was crawling uphill the entire time for probably over half a mile in the woods on a trail before I checked. This was all low gear of course.

Not only that but the throttle resolution felt better and it had more torque.

Why are the temps lower on 3s? For reference the 2s battery I was using before was an Onyx 4000mah 25C 2s hard case battery.

Last edited by Mountainsofbeer; 06-22-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock electronics on 3s? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3s on stock electronics? rockpunisher Electronics 4 04-14-2016 05:34 AM
3s on stock electronics? kikcaffine Vaterra Twin Hammers 5 03-09-2013 08:12 AM
3s on stock electronics??? Sheepdawg23wm Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 02-13-2013 05:54 PM
Stock electronics? abbott90 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 03-16-2009 10:16 PM
9.6 and stock electronics? b2bomber General Crawlers 8 09-26-2006 09:41 AM