Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: The Best Feature

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #1

Default The Best Feature

What do you like the most about the Traxxas TRX-4 Land Rover?
Ashley S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The Best Feature

Cruise Control for trail driving. It blew me away first time I tried it. Not only can you match your walking speed in 2nd gear, but you can get ahead of it and film it and take pictures if you want easily.

Also you can make the TRX-4 behave like a real 1:1 truck with low range, in my experience most of them will crawl along (at least on somewhat level ground) without touching the throttle at all. I am not a rock crawler or anything Ive just owned a few vehicles with low range.

The fact that you can still give a quick burst of speed with the controller whenever you want is great and the multifunction knob for fine adjustments. It just works.
Mountainsofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The locking diffs are by far the best feature: flip a switch and cut a foot off your turning radius. What could be better than that?

I thought the diffs were going to be a lame gimmick but I was so wrong.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The portal axle is the feature I wanted most when I first read about the truck. I have only ran mine in my shop for a couple mins but playing with the lockers was actually pretty cool. I initially intended to lock them all the time and pull out the servos at first and may do the front that way but I'll probably leave the locker functional for the rear axle since that is the one that really helps your turning radius if put in the unlocked position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Selectable diffs is the icing on the cake for me. They make it so fun and versatile. I find myself trying to see how far I can get with them open, not to mention the vast improvement in turning radius, and when the going gets tough you get a fully locked up truck with the flick of a switch, gotta love it. I guess we will see how the diffs hold up to extended use and abuse, but if there are issues I bet the aftermarket will take care of us.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The portals are definitely my favorite feature. The feature that surprised me most is the 2 speed. I didn't think I'd use it more than just messing around with testing it out but I kept an open mind and after a couple packs, I'm surprised at how much I use it. It's a very practical feature on this type of truck and I'm really starting to enjoy it more each time I run the TRX. I still feel like a good brushless system would completely negate the usefulness of a 2 speed but I may upgrade this truck to brushless in the future and test that theory for myself.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

My vote is for the remote locking diffs. The 2-speed is nice but not unique to the TRX-4 by any stretch (I have 2-speeds in multiple TF2s, Ascenders and Yetis, though the very wide ratio in the TRX-4 is a plus), and the portals solve a problem that's not really a problem with an off-centered front pumpkin and careful choice of lines. But the remote locking diffs are unique to the TRX-4, and they opened my eyes to how much terrain you can traverse with one or both diffs open.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The portals made going through mud pretty awesome. And the gear reduction being on the axle, making the torque twist barely exist. And also I like that it has bump stops on the knuckles/portal to keep from turning too much. And I love how fast 2nd gear is. The jst plug makes installing a shv500 very easy no soldering necessary. So many awesome features in this rig. Can't wait for an over under gear set to come out for the axles.
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

I like the locking diffs. They really opened my eyes up to more terrain I can get over.
hitman13429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I don't really see the point for od/ud gears for this.

On an scx they help with torque twist and turning. Both of which are really bad on an scx. On a TRX the torque twist is minimal and the open diffs help with the turning.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Being able to lock the diffs and shift on the fly is just plain awesome
98 SNAKE EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

From a "haven't yet bought this, but seriously considering" guy, I really like the design of the closed under-carriage and fender wells. For a scaler, this looks more realistic than the see-throughs of most competitors.

This is not just a "form" (looks) feature, but also a "function" feature reducing the potential of gunk in the innards.

Last edited by gfmucci; 07-06-2017 at 09:00 AM.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i think just being able to unlock the rear is the best... that alone has stopped me from looping out so many times. The front tires will just pull and pull and pull with no push from the rear. it'll drag you around a rock, hill, root mass or base of a tree. Love it!

cruise control being second.... i can take pictures of the kids as we walk the flatter part of the trails, while i steer with the steering trim knob... traxxas controllers steering wheels are too far away for my fingers to reach one-handed... haha
eyeopenher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I thought the diffs were going to be a lame gimmick but I was so wrong.
Wow, I like this phrase so much.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

The Best Feature - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Search Feature RCCasper Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 03-23-2017 10:27 AM
Searching feature longviewskyline Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 03-22-2014 10:44 PM
Double Feature - 2 much for 1 Holdencars Scale Videos! 0 08-31-2013 10:29 PM
Backyard with new feature(s)... toyofast Scale Videos! 7 03-02-2010 06:12 PM