Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: SVT's TRX4 - A tale of tiny trucking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 06:57 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SVT's TRX4 - A tale of tiny trucking

Aloha.

I have returned to "bump" my thread because I have a new bumper. Get it? I'm so clever.

Puns are the highest form of comedy; at least that is what I heard on TV once. I also heard that comedy is a dead art form and tragedy is really what's funny. Really, I have no idea what's going on.

Here is a bumper.

Finally got my lovely SSD rear bumper. It is appropriately Land Rover-y. Not too much in the way of installation pictures: remove 2 screw pins, remove stock bumper, install new bumper, reinstall 2 screw pins, enjoy eating your kid's Halloween candy while admiring your work, and done.

While I was at it, I decided to ditch the spare tire.

*ACTUALLY HELPFUL INFORMATION ALERT*

So if your truck is like mine, the screw holding on the spare tire spins inside the mount when trying to get the outer nut off. The quick and easy way to remove that nut is chuck a 7mm nut driver into a high speed drill. The plastic mount holding in the screw provides enough friction so the screw can't spin as fast as the drill removing the nut, thus the nut comes right off. So if you haven't been able to get the spare by hand, try a drill.

I think I'm up to 3 useful bits of information in here. Go me!

Here is the back of the truck all bare.

With the spare tire back there, I never realized the body was so shiny. You can kinda see the reflection of the piles of junk on my workbench in the body.

Look at all that clearance.

The new bumper easily gives you like 15 more degrees of departure angle before dragging the rear end.

FYI, the shackle mounts on the SSD bumper don't fit the stock shackles so well. They are much narrower than the mounts on the stock bumper so you would really have to pinch the shackle to get it on the SSD bumper. RC4WD shackles fit fine though.

I figured this would give a nice "bump" to the "back end" of my thread. Oh puns, they will forever be literary gold.

Until next time.

Last edited by svt923; 11-02-2017 at 07:05 AM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #62
RCC Addict

That rear bumper practically screams "pintle hook". I looked at the mounting specs on the RC4WD pintle hook and it will not bolt on the bumper without some drilling.

Last edited by Inspector86; 11-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I've wasted much of your time already, allow me to make up for it with some actual tech. This is something I saw this weekend and I totally decided to appropriate it for myself.

Have a problem with the nuts coming out of your scale hubs? Hit the outer edge of the hub with a center punch to hold the nut in.

Staking the nut in the hub. Genius! Why didn't I think of that?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Good morning fine people of RCC land.

I know a lot has happened since this thread has been updated: we gathered for 2 Thanksgivings, celebrated the beginnings of new lives and the ends of ones well lived, we got an additional year of wisdom under our belts, and we probably did some other meaningful things too.

For those of you just joining in, I'm Derek and I started this thread way back in the dark ages when there was no TRX-4 Sport, TRX-4 kit, or TRX-4 Bronco. When many were still just discussing their desire to purchase a TRX-4, I was chronicling my experience to share with the masses. Things were torn down and rebuild, electronics were exchanged, new parts installed and tested, and many, many wheels were tested (TRX4 wheel fitment info). Now, I have returned with a new chapter in this tiny trucking journey!

That was pretty epic to say I bolted crap to my truck but that degree in English needs to be put to good use. Just kidding, I have a real degree and a job. LOLZ.

So what has happened to the truck since 11/2/2017?

Nothing except driving; no new parts, no maintenance, no cleaning.

Nothing.

If you want to know what the truck looks like, scroll back a few posts because literally nothing had changed. My TRX-4 has been a champ and still drives great. I don't need to change anything about it.

So how about changing some stuff?

One of the amazing features of the TRX-4 when it came out was the 2 speed transmission and locking diffs. These were mind blowing features in a RTR and I used them all the time in those early outings. Guess how much I use them 16 months later?

Did you guess all the time?

Then you are wrong, so very wrong. You would be the level of wrong that brings shame upon your family if that was your answer. I hope for the sake of your holiday season, you picked a different answer.

Since the last update, Traxxas had released their single speed conversion so I had it installed.

Playing with dolls is fun, I wonder if kids know about such activities.

The Traxxas single speed essentially keeps your truck in low gear all the time without the pesky slop of the 2 speed. I don't remember the last time I actually used high gear so it will not be missed.

I may have slightly exaggerated on the frequency of diff lock use; its not they never get used, the rear never gets used. The ability to unlock the front and tighten up the turning radius is still extraordinarily helpful so only the rear diff has to go.

Traxxas, again, has since release their spools. I'm sure they are fine but they are hunks of cast metal and better options are available.

Enter this Locked Up FI spool.

Unlike the Traxxas spool, this is a large chunk of machined, hardened steel with way tighter tolerances for less slop. The Locked Up spool also uses the original 3 bearing setup for better support which will come in handy for reasons to be revealed.

As I completely forgot to take a pic of it installed, please enjoy this stock photo from Locked Up.

Locked Up also thoughtfully includes a plug to fill the hole left by the diff lock cable.

While some that drivetrain work was going on, this seemed like a good time for installing this:

A Bowhouse high clearance skid plate.

Besides the whole "more clearance" thing, you can see the many of the sharp corners of the original skid have been eliminated. As recommended, I cleaned out the holes with a 3/32 drill bit and took the extra step of running a M3 tap into most of the holes.

Not a lot of thrilling wrenching to get this installed, mostly remove stuff and bolt the new skid on. You can see how it tucks everything up nicely.

On the top side, you can see nothing has changed with that clearance underneath. Well, other than all that new space from removing 2 servos.

Hey, what is that shiny hunk of metal?

You guys are so astute.

So does everyone know about the GRC motor mount that integrates the motor plate into the plate clamp? You can buy the same thing as an unbranded part on ebay for half the price. Gotta love the Chinese ripping off and undercutting the Chinese.

I figured the motor mount upgrade was needed for this...

MASSIVE POWER UPGRADE!

The Castle Slate motor is cute but the Tekin Pro4HD is a real motor.

I know "but I run the stock motor and it has more than enough power for me, why would you need more than that?" but the better question to ask yourself is "why do I hate liberty and freedom so much?" #MorePowerBecauseAmerica

All buttoned up and ready to melt faces.

I changed the pinion from a 9T to a 12T for 2 reasons:

1. I wanted a little more wheel speed than the 9T provided with the removal of the 2 speed
2. Have you ever seen a really small pinion for a 5 mm shaft? They look sketchy as hell.

My early TRX-4 had the issue of many others with overly tight gear mesh when using the recommended holes in the stock motor plate. This new mount has perfect mesh using the recommended holes. The ability to pop off the cover and check the mesh without loosening the motor is awesome.

And we arrive here.

The truck is all back together and ready for it's next mission. I will update how it drives with the new mods and if it survives a Pro4HD 2500kv motor on 3S pumped through 60:1 gearing. This update may come before next Xmas or it may not, I don't like being tied down.

Happy Hanukkah if I don't see you before then.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #65

Do you still have that low end power and slow wheel control with that motor / pinion combo that you installed?
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTony View Post
Do you still have that low end power and slow wheel control with that motor / pinion combo that you installed?
Only driven it around inside so far but seems to have plenty of low speed control still, the Mamba X handles that pretty well with most motors. Low end power isn’t even a question since the Tekin is way more motor than the Castle, it would take much more help than 3 less teeth on the pinion to make up the difference. Even with the 12T pinion, the overall gear ratio is pretty low at 60:1 so the choice of gearing was more about setting the top end speed.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaOldSchool View Post
This is proving to be an increasingly dangerous thread for me to keep reading...mine is set to be delivered on Monday.

Where in NC? I'm in Wilmington.
I'm just outside of Raleigh, going out towards Jordan Lake.

Congratulations on the new truck and good luck trying to accomplish anything today while constantly checking your delivery tracking, at least its Monday and the standards are low.

Quote:
So there is a glaring question that must be asked...

Since your name is SVT...when is the Bronco TRX arriving?

Obviously the Defender is close to perfect and a new challenge is needed.

Unless you need a better reason to add to your lot? At which point I can issue a challenge.

lol
While I'm a big fan of the Bronco body, I don't think a TRX-4 Bronco will be in my future. My inner scale nerd doesn't allow me to have a Bronco that nice sitting on links and portals, it needs rear leaf springs at minimum. Maybe I'll pick up the body in the future but it would be to drop on a different chassis.

As for reasons to add to my collection, there are 6-8 other builds that need to get cleared off the to do list before something new gets added. Of course, all that goes out the window if something super cool gets released.

Last edited by svt923; 12-03-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
While I'm a big fan of the Bronco body, I don't think a TRX-4 Bronco will be in my future. My inner scale nerd doesn't allow me to have a Bronco that nice sitting on links and portals, it needs rear leaf springs at minimum. Maybe I'll pick up the body in the future but it would be to drop on a different chassis.

Yeah...I know not scale correct but the portals on a proper model limit you to a Land Rover, Hummer H1, Benz G500 and ??? A Unimog...lol.

I’m hoping someone makes a D90 for the shorter wheel base. That would be awesome...or an H1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VaOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah...I know not scale correct but the portals on a proper model limit you to a Land Rover, Hummer H1, Benz G500 and ??? A Unimog...lol.
Indeed, this is a burden I live with every day.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

So here’s how my day is going:

Old 12-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So here’s how my day is going:

That sucks. I hate that, excited to get your new stuff then ups is like...Nope sorry!

Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
That sucks. I hate that, excited to get your new stuff then ups is like...Nope sorry!

Exactly!

So I'm sitting here staring at a BEC, servo, iLink, and new tires. The fun never stops! Unless of course UPS hates you. Then it stops abruptly. lol Insult to injury they dropped off a new nightstand my wife ordered from Wayfair...annnnnnd it's damaged.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Hola my TRX-4 amigos!

Who knew driveshafts and culture would be on the menu today?

Anyway, I have been so busy building other trucks (SVT makes a Wraith into things that aren't a Wraith) that I almost forgot about this one.

Accept the gratuitous self promotion and go read the other thread.

Back to driveshafts.

Not that my original TRX4 shafts failed but they were definitely not in such good shape anymore. The joint on the front side of the transmission was chewed up in typical TRX4 fashion, the splines were starting to twist, and only one side telescoped anymore. This seemed like a primo time for an upgrade.

So during one of ebay's 15% sales, I ordered a set of these GRC center shafts.

They looked like everything I wanted in a set of replacement shafts: u-joints on the ends, not overly bulky, and a hearty spline design on the inside.

Here is where things get a little weird.

Turns out both sides of the shaft use a male spline with a floating female center section. Clearly the manufacturer didn't think this was an important feature because they never once included this in the product description or even a picture of the assembly. Gotta love Chinese marketing materials.

Even with the unexpected design, the whole assemble is delightfully slop free in both the u-joints and splines.

No detailed pics of installation, these are drive shafts and if you can't follow along then you clearly didn't do the prerequisite reading. We are trying to raise the level of discourse around here.

One item of note, these do not reuse the M3 screw pins of the stock shafts but use M4 screw pins much like Axial Wild Boar HD shafts.

They seem to look at home underneath the truck.

It seems I am out of actual truck related information for this post but have not yet fulfilled my minimum word count so I will leave you with my top 5 list of meatball dishes:

5: Swedish meatballs
4: Teriyaki glazed meatballs
3. Chicken meatballs with pesto
2. Classic spaghetti and meatballs
1. Bacon wrapped grilled meatballs

Feel free to discuss meatball recipes or the less preferred option of TRX4 tech.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

What temp do the bacon wrapped meatballs cook at ?
I don’t have a trx so I can’t talk about yours getting the shaft finally.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #75
RCC Addict

I bought a set of driveshaft n they were like that. They werent worth a flip IMO. The front one would either come apart or slide apart just enuf to bind itself. The 2nd set of driveshafts i bought werent much better. They have a snap ring thats 'supposed to' hold the wrist pin in. But nope, they still push out past the ring. I even tryd shrink tube on them, n they still came apart. Hopefully u have better luck with them than i did lol

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What temp do the bacon wrapped meatballs cook at ?
I don’t have a trx so I can’t talk about yours getting the shaft finally.
Grill on medium-medium high. I like to make smallish meatballs because they usually cook by the time the bacon is appropriately crispy and you don’t feel as bad when you house like 20 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I bought a set of driveshaft n they were like that. They werent worth a flip IMO. The front one would either come apart or slide apart just enuf to bind itself. The 2nd set of driveshafts i bought werent much better. They have a snap ring thats 'supposed to' hold the wrist pin in. But nope, they still push out past the ring. I even tryd shrink tube on them, n they still came apart. Hopefully u have better luck with them than i did lol
These shouldn’t have the issue of the center falling out, the ends are long enough that even if the center slides al the way to one side, more than half the other shaft is still engaged. Those red shafts you have appear to have really short male ends.

As for the knock off Junfac shafts, the should have a setscrew to retain the center pin and the ring is just a secondary measure. Of course the China cloning crew may not have looked hard enough at what they were copying.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Yeah, the male ends are a bit short. The rear worked perfect, the front was the issue. The cheap junfac have a set screw in the joint, but it doesnt tighten enuf to hold the pin. Ill use them for somethin lol

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Yeah, the male ends are a bit short. The rear worked perfect, the front was the issue. The cheap junfac have a set screw in the joint, but it doesnt tighten enuf to hold the pin. Ill use them for somethin lol

Red threadlock is Your friend ( or not.. depending on inebriation level when having slathered it on any grub screw You could get Your hands on)

By the by, SVT’s first home-testtrack looks suspiciously like mine. I, also, have ‘a rock’ . A small rock. One of the perks of living in the north of The Netherlands. Soo unbelievably flat and rock-less. Not many rocks makes one buy less of the expensive upgrade parts for one’s TRX. ( Eeh.. scratch that. I did buy sòme parts...for ehh.. ‘research’. Yes.. ) When we run into an actual hill, it’ll get into the newspapers, and camera-crews will be falling over eachother to film it, might it disappear with the next bit of rain.

Though, having said that, we dó have sòme hills, but they are the grave-sites of the megalithic people that once inhabited the North. Bombing up and down on them with a crawler is, generally, frowned upon.

On the other hand, mud, yes we dó have plenty of that. So, caked tires (and car) are a staple of trailing over here.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 01-03-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Jay, come to Florida...... only high spots are landfill...... Rocks, yep rip rap on the banks of everything

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Jay, come to Florida...... only high spots are landfill...... Rocks, yep rip rap on the banks of everything

Hang up and Drive
Get outta that swamp down there Mike and come crawl up this way. I've found some great spots less then 10 mins from my house. Rocks and hills minus the landfill!

Truck looks great Derek! How's those driveshafts holding up? I'm looking to get some new ones on my Trx.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote

SVT's TRX4 - A tale of tiny trucking - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Seemingly Eternal Evolution of SVT's Ascender svt923 Vaterra Ascender 57 07-05-2018 07:23 AM
Toyota Truck for Trucking imthatguy RC4WD Trail Finder 2 83 05-07-2016 03:54 PM
Trucking in Singapore Bozora Videos! 2 09-10-2009 07:29 AM
garden trucking winch?? fokai General Crawlers 7 02-15-2007 02:37 PM